Temples in chennai

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by nadathur, Jul 28, 2012.

1. nadathur

nadathur Silver IL'ite

Hi friends

Other day, one of my colleague was teasing me for visiting temples far and wide, but not temples in chennai. We sat down to list a few and (to my surprise) final count came to more than 40. These temples are at least 150 years old.

By gods grace, I intend to visit the temples on sunday's, three at a time. The details of the temples will be updated in this thread.

Your encouragement and comments are highly appreciated

with warm regards
    Kumar Ramabhadran

1 person likes this.

2. insha

insha Gold IL'ite

Hello Sir,

There is a Narasimhar temple in Velachery,Chennai.I heard it is more than 1000 years old.Not sure if this is included in your list.

1 person likes this.
  3. nadathur

nadathur Silver IL'ite

thanks for your input. Dedicated to Sri Vishnu as Yoga Narasimha and Divine Mother Shakti as Amrithavalli Thayar. Yes I have this temple in my list. Again this is very near a old shiva temple Sri Dhandeeswaram Temple. I understand that velachery was known as dhandeeswaram earlier.

with best wishes

1 person likes this.
  4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kumar Brother,

True there are lot of temples in and around chennai which has history that dates back to few 100 years.

We always used to feel that instead of building new temples, we should try to explore old temples, its value and try to undertsand about the temple.

Go ahead, :thumbsup in doing this great service, we are all here to encourage you, May Baba guide you to do this service with devotion and in ease.

Best wishes..

3 people like this.
  5. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kumar,

After visiting all the temples, please share your experiences with us. We would like to know more about these old ( Puradhana kovil) temples in Chennai.

6. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Can you please share the list of temples.So that i ll also plan to visit which ever i didnt go.

Thanks in advance

7. nadathur

nadathur Silver IL'ite

The list is available in my blog Hindu Temples: Temples in Chennai. This is work in progress. However the details of the visit and temples, I will update in this thread.

Thanks/Regards

2 people like this.
  8. vdeepab4u

vdeepab4u Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this wonderful information at one place :)

9. Sanguineme

Sanguineme Silver IL'ite

Let me share my experieice with you all.

Recently I visited The Mallikeswarar Temple located in Thambu Chetty Street, Mannady, Parrys, Chennai. The Mallikeswarar Temple is dedicated to Sri Shiva as Mallikeswarar and Divine Mother Shakti as Maragadambal. This is more than 700 years old.

Speciality: The navagraha here in this temple is so different. All the Navagrahas are present with their respective vahanas. The statues are so very artistic. Sooriyan is depicted on his beatiful chariot in the middle.

Please workship Lord Yama inscribbed on the right most pillar on the outside mandabham of this temple first and then go in to the temple. The security told us to do this. But I do not know the reason for this.

Girls do visit this temple.

3 people like this.
  10. Sindhurak

Sindhurak Platinum IL'ite

There are so many temples in chennai which have great history behind them..
    It is really nice experiance to explore them.. Thanks for the info in Ur blog nadathur..

I have visited all the tempels in an around Adyar, mylapor, Tiruvanmayur, Besent nagar.. Its a very good experiance..
    some of them You must visit are:

Kapaleeswar temple - Mylapore
    Anantha padmanabha swamy temple - Adyar (near Adyar signal)
    Ashta Lakshmi temple - Besent nagar
    Rathnagiri Temple - Besent Nagar
    Murundareeswar temple - Thiruvanmayur
    Ganesh temple - Besent nagar (near besent nagar depot)
    Temple near by Adyar Depot - (this is having all gods ideals) here every festival will be celebrated with very good alankaras for the Uthsava Moorthys, still I'm amaged by the Rama kalyanam done there on Srirama navami.. every festival will be celebrated with a great grace..