Mahalakshmi aka Ambabai of Kolhapur

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by raji2678, Dec 20, 2010.

1. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Goddess Mahalakshmi bestows Her benign blessings as Ambabai in the city of Kolhapur.

According to mythologhy, on hearing of Lord Vishnu's decision of marrying Padmavathi, Goddess Mahalaxmi came to Kolhapur. As a result, Lor Vishnu began to feel the pinch and had to borrow from Kubera for his wedding to Goddess Padmavati, whose interest He is still paying as on date.

The ancient Mahalakshmi temple is an awe-inspiring structure. The city is beautiful, and one can feel Her divine presence in the city itself. Words are not sufficient to describe the grandeur of the temple or the beauty and charisma of the goddess. :bowdown

Devotees can offer various pujas in the temple, the details of which can be obtained from the office, or go for Darshan.

I have included the following link, that gives more information.
    Mahalakshmi temple, Kolhapur | Divine Brahmanda

After visiting the Lord and His consort at Tirupati, a visit to the Goddess of Kolhapur is considered auspicious.

I would earnestly request fellow ILites to visit the city, the temple and various other holy places and other attractions the city has to offer.

Please gorge on the tasty Kolhapuri food as well..especially the misal. The vegetables there are so tasty...

One can purchase jewellery (Gold / Silver with Gold plating /ordinary) called Tushi and Saaj, as well as the famous Kolhapuri chappal from here.

It is well connected with the major ciites of Maharashtra and Bangalore with good highways, and other Indian cities by rail.

There are many good lodges / hotels to stay. We had stayed at Vrindavan lodge, 2kms from the temple. It was neat and clean, with lift, hot water, car parking and complimentary breakfast.

Not sure of the parking facilites near the temple. It is recommeded to travel by auto.

Winter is a good time to visit, but please carry some warm clothing. One more tip for those of you who are travelling there by road : There are quite a few toll plazas, which charge toll in odd denominations (like Rs 53). Please keep loose note and coin change in your pocket.

May Goddess Ambabai bless all with prosperity!

Jai Ambabai.

Raji

2. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks, Raji for sharing this place of pilgrimage.
    I have visited this temple before my marriage and as you have mentioned it is a very serene temple and very beautiful too.
    Shanta

3. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Thanks. See if you can visit again!

4. saras123

saras123 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Raji

Thanks a lot for sharing this info about mata Mahalaxmi and Kolhapur. Noted the details.
    Hope to visit this Shakthipeetam soon. May Goddess give me chance to call upon her.

5. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

She will. Just pray to her. My article is by no means comprehensive, and you have to check the net before embarking on your trip.

Raji

6. saras123

saras123 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Raji

Thanks. Sure i will do so.

7. Unnati

Unnati New IL'ite

thank u for your post.i liked it lot:)

8. incharge

incharge Bronze IL'ite

Very well described Raji. You can feel her devine presence as soon as you enter the city.I am an ardent follower of Ambabai and make it a point to visit the temple at least once a year.Thanks a lot about the thread.

9. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Unnati, May the grace of Goddess Mahalaxmi give you 'Unnati' in all aspects of life!

Raji

10. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Thanks incharge. Hope the Goddess will give me an opportunity to be more regualar there!

Raji