Aandals Thiruppavai - 2

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by varalotti, Mar 1, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Most Gracious ILites,

I cant say I was overwhelmed by your response to my translation work. At the same time I am happy that a few people did read it and two good souls did respond to it. And a devotee of Aandal gave a star rating to the earlier thread on the same subject.

Knowing about Andal and her works reforms our life accelerates our internal evolutionary process. Her work is so profound that I have heard great Vaishnavite scholars proclaiming that reading her 30 songs is equivalent to reading the entire 4000 songs of Naalayira Divya Prabandam.

One poet went to the extent of saying that the earth will not happily bear those who do not know the 30 songs of Aandal.

His actual words are
    ஐயைந்தும் ஐந்தும் அறியாத மானிடரை
    வையம் சுமப்பதும் வம்பு

Aandal's verses is not about religion. They are about love. And her Valentine was the Almighty Himself! And what a valentines day celebration she had! Every day she lived in this earth was a valentines day for her.

So heres the second one in the series.

கனைத்திளம் கற்றெருமை கன்றுக்கு இரங்கி
    நினைத்து முலை வழியே நின்று பால் சோர
    நனைத்தில்லம் சேறாக்கும் நற்செல்வன் தங்காய்
    பனித்தலை வீழ நின் வாசற்கடைபற்றி
    சினத்தினால் தென்னிலங்கை கோமானைச் செற்ற
    மனத்துக்கினியானைப் பாடவும் நீ வாய் திறவாய்
    இனித்தான் எழுந்திராய் ஈதென்ன பேருறக்கம்
    அனைத்தில்லத்தாரும் அறிந்தேலோரெம்பாவாய்

The buffalo merely on thinking of her calf
    Finds her udder full with milk of love
    And the milk flows to the floor
    Making it a place of muddy mess;
    And no one cares to gather that milk!
    And such a rich house belongs to your brother, dear!
    And at the gates of such a house, defying the biting cold
    We have gathered to sing about the One who sweetens our minds!
    The One who killed the King of Lanka, Ravana, in His anger great!
    And you, dear, do not still want to wake up!
    See, the neighbours are out and now know that you are still asleep!
    Are you not ashamed? Come on, wake up, dear girl!

Varalotti

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007

2. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Re: - 2

Dear Varalotti JI,

In Andhra I used to hear some times from Sri China Jeeyar Swamiji ... I have heard about the story of Aandal from Swamiji when I was a kid and learnt about Aandal’s work from his speeches.

In Dhanurmasam Jeeyar Swamiji performed some pooja called Yagnam ( Donnow the other word 4 it sorry ...) for app 15 days n gave wonderful speeches regarding this Tirupavai....

Thanq so much for translating in English also for easy reference...

Could u also post the Tirupavai songs if possible??? I think they r very popular in all over India...

Great work Varlotti sir...

3. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

[​IMG]

Picture of Aandal Amma...

In my childhood I was imagined my self so many stories when I see this picture ...

But I was wondering what could be the story behind this picture of Aandal Amma????

4. varalotti

You mady day, Teja!

Dear Teja,

When I posted Thiruppavai for the second time, I was not very sure of its reception. Now I am thrilled to see your post. By posting Aandals picture in this thread you made this thread really rich and more than that made my day. Aandal is Mahalakhmi herself who wanted to enjoy the love of her consort, Sri Vishnu.

I have posted the Thiruppavai song also in Tamil. If you want the transliteration like "Kanaithilam kattrarerumai" I will post it.

The picture you have posted tells the entire life of Aandal. She was found as a child by Vishnu Chittar also known as Perialwar. She grew up as her daughter. Everyday Vishnuchittar used to bring flowers from the temples garden and string them together as a garland for Sri Vishnu (in a town called Srivilliputhur about an hour and a half drive from my place, Madurai).

Aandal who was probably 14 or so at that time, used to wear the garland herself and look at herself standing before the mirror. Then she would leave the garland in its usual place. Not knowing this Perialwar would take the garland to the temple. One day he sees Aandal wearing the garland intended for Vishnu. He loses his temper, shouts at Aandal, abandons the 'used' garland and then prepares another fresh one.

Vishnu, who is nothing but Love in its purest form, now discarded that fresh garland and insisted that he would wear only the garland worn earlier by Aandal. Perialwar is moved. Aandal becomes ecstatic. Aandal has the name சூடிக் கொடுதத சுடர்க்கொடி which means the beautiful damsel who gave the garlands worn by her to God.

When it is time for Aandal to get married, Perialwar looks for a groom. But Aandal insists that she would marry Lord Renganatha Himself. Ordered by Renganatha, Perialwar takes Aandal to Srirangam. Aandal, at the right auspicious moment, goes into and merges with Sri Ranganatha.

More about her later.
    Varalotti

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,
    You have taken up a huge task of translating the andal thirupaavai. Great work. I seem to have missed out these posts...Sorry...
    But was overwhelmed by Teja adding a beautiful photo of the deity and your write up on Andal's birth and life.

Truly enjoyed the postings...Will keep in track of this forum for more from u.

Thank you!​

6. varalotti

Dear Aishu and Teja,

Aandal has written totally 143 songs. 30 of them are Thiruppavai and the other 113 are Nachiar Thirumozhi.

In Aandals verses we see Bakthi in its purest form. It is not the Bakthi as we see today where people trade with God, making God their commission agents and power of attorneys.

The Great Acharyas have written volumes about the meaning of Aandals Thiruppavai. That apart Aandal was one of the finest poets I have ever known. She has mastered the technique of using the simplest of words to convey the profoundest of meanings.

Let us now pray to Aandal to help us understand her great works. The beautiful picture posted by Teja has made this thread auspicious.

Regards,
    Varalotti

7. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Hello Sridhar,

you mention words like valentine, love, etc. then I have to be here.
    another beautiful verse from Thiruppavai -
    though familiar these stories still make a great reading.
    I did relish every line of the posted verses (earlier one tooo)..
    Good Post, Sridhar.

8. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Dear Teju,

that was a beautiful pic of andal.
    I'm saving it to my comp.
    thanks, Dear.

Love,

9. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear varalotti sir

With your description and also with the photo of Aandal the thread looks so divine. If you do not mind can you please put the verses in English font so I can enjoy the original also. There will so many like me who can understand Tamil but cannot read it with ease. Thank you

regards
    vidhi

10. varalotti

Dear All,
    In response to your request I am posting the transliteration of the song here.

Kanaithilam katrerumai kanrukku irangi
    Ninaithu mulai vazhiye ninru paal sora
    Nanaithillam cheraakkum narchelvan thangaai
    Panithalai veezha nin vaasar kadai patri
    Chinathinaal thennilangai komanai chetra
    Manathukkiniyaanai paadavum nee vai thiravaai
    Inithaan ezhunthirai eethenna perurakkam
    Anaithillatharum arinthelo rempaavaaai

Varalotti