Why is the Gita universal?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The Bhagavad Gita has come to occupy a supreme place because the teachings embodied possess eternal value and are universal in their applicability.

The setting of the Gitopadesa is the battlefield of Kurukshetra. Arjuna is the central figure , seated in a chariot and Lord Krishna is his charioteer. Arjuna humbles himself as a pupil at the feet of Krishna, raising him to the pedestal of a teacher. Arjuna‘s objection to fight is that the war will entail killing his elders and relatives. He does not mind being killed, if the war can be avoided. Thus he has overcome all desires and attachment to life. Now he has reached the state of mind when he is fit to receive true knowledge. Lord Krishna now teaches him. This is how the Gita has come to possess eternal and lasting value.

The teachings of the Gita contain the answer to the question often posed, namely, which should have preference, individual salvation or “ Loka kshema”(public good). The Gita makes it plain that unless one is perfect oneself, one is not qualified to engage oneself in acts of “ Loka kshema”. A person who is himself subject to grief, anger etc cannot remove the like ills of others. The man who is subject to delusion is not qualified to rid the world of its delusions.

The only way to overcome grief and other infirmities is “ self-knowledge”. One should perform his duty without attachment and with resignation and this alone will prepare him for self knowledge. Such a person becomes perfect soul, who by his very presence, brings about “ Loka kshema” in the truest sense of the term and most effectively.

Individual elevation will enable one to lift others. Thus the Gita becomes the eternal beacon for mankind. It embodies in itself an immediate solution to the pressing problems of man and carries a wonderful message of encouragement, hope, cheer and consolation. The Gita gives him a positive promise of salvation, making him fearless.

He finds that his mental weakness, exhaustion and fatigue reduce and his mind becomes calm and serene. When the mind is thus calm and serene, his efficiency increases; his performance, his attitude towards others, his vision of life as such, the way he meets challenges – all these acquire a new tempo and beauty. With these inner qualities, his activities gather a momentum that cannot but attract success in the modern material world.

Thus the Gita serves as triple treatise – a treatise on psychology, a text of ethics and a book of philosophy. Its glory is undying. It never ceases to fascinate and have relevance. It is a profound text to be constantly read and digested.

Love,
    Chithra.

2 people like this.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

It is a profound text to be constantly read and digested......

A very true line, one which can come from the pen of a person who has really contemplated on Gita. Chithra, once again, very well written piece on Gita and why it is universal. All in all, as I understand it, Gita is an instruction book on how to live this life.
    Each time you write something on Gita, I get thrilled. I have waited for a long time hoping you will write on Gita and its verses and it is like my dreams are coming true:) I enjoyed reading this time's post immensely. I don't know how you are planning to go further on this theme, but I am all eyes and ears.
    Thanks.

L, Kamla

3. Chitvish

Dear Kamla,
    I am thrilled that you sent such a quick F b.
    Every time I read a verse from the Gita, it interprets itself in a different way. That is why it is popular with vedanta students, corporate executives & housewives !
    I am not exactly planning how to go about ! I just write spontaneously, whatever thoughts cross my mind.
    But in between Gita, I have to necessarily dwell on a few vedantic jargons so that we can understand & appreciate better when we come across them in the text !
    All I need from all of you is "patient cooperation" to continue with me in this cultural journey !
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra

As usual a great write up Chithra. Yes we will patiently follow you on this spiritual journey

Love
    vidhi

1 person likes this.
  5. Chitvish

Dear Vidhi,
    Thankyou for your promptness !
    Yes, we will move ahead as a group enjoyably, Vidhi.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. lathanarasimhan

lathanarasimhan New IL'ite

Hi Chitra mam,
    Great write up indeed! Our whole life time is insufficient to explore THE GITA

I like to know about the vedantas. Please do post something when time permits.

Thanks & bye.

Regards latha

7. Chitvish

8. lathanarasimhan

lathanarasimhan New IL'ite

Hi mam,
    You are a legend for all ILites.I did not make you. I just joined a few days back.
    Intutively I know that we will be friends for long. I'm planning to visit you when
    go to my daughter's home at Chennai. See I did'nt even ask your permission.
    Mam do visit my thread called News at IL.
    regards latha.
    [​IMG]

9. Chitvish

Dear Latha,
    Your affection overwhelms me !
    Yes, I saw the thread, much to my embarassment.
    Please remember that I am basically a Chennaibased housewife, nothing more.
    Please do come home when you visit Chennai. If you PM me before coming, I will give you my mobile no: address. I would love to meet you, Latha.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    Again another well written piece , bringing out emphasis on self development before we go on taking up loka kshema! good one, i liked the idea to develop oneself first! Isn't it true also, that only we are to a certain extent mature enough to understand oneself , we can go abt understanding or emphatizing with others in our interactions?
    i liked this weeks post alot, it was so simple but brings out the essence of gita. Roshini, only yesterday told me that she was upset and heard some online speeches on karma yoga and it felt good......like u have rightly said, each time, these verses lend themselves to different interpretations depending on our mind set and perceptions isn't it?
    Great job, Chitra......:2thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007