Let us evolve from a Survivor to a Contributor.

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

All living beings are programmed with an instinct to survive. Survival implies air, water, food and shelter. Clothing is necessary to protect from the elements. A human being is also subject to this programming. While every animal seems to be self-conscious, only a human being is self-judging and inhibited as well, implying that the self-consciousness in the human being is complete.

But mere survival is not enough for the self-judging human being. He needs to contribute something to transcend, to get beyond being just a survivor. You do become a contributor by being an earning member of the family or just by being a parent. But this is not the only form of contribution. If we have to reach the level of being a contributor, our entire psychology, that is, our way of thinking, our way of looking at ourselves, at others and at the world has to undergo a change.

The gift of knowledge or Vidya Dhanam is considered the greatest contribution because the gift of knowledge is a far higher gift than food and clothes. Any kind of knowledge imparted is good, but if you are able to give self-knowledge (Atma Vidya) to a person, that is the greatest contribution. That is exactly what Vedanta does. He who gives man spiritual knowledge is the greatest benefactor of mankind because spirituality is the true basis of all our activities in life.

Next comes, helping a man physically. It is not only the last but the least, because it cannot bring about permanent satisfaction.

We always perform actions which are compelled by desire. We have to look around us at the vast spectacle of nature. The sun, the wind, the ocean, the trees and plants, every force in nature is ceaselessly active and contribute selflessly! Do we pay them for their service and energy ?

A true contributor responds to the human society and to the environment. He acts at a deeper level, which not only includes the significant others in your life, but is one in which every other person becomes significant to you. He contributes in a constructive manner and does not do anything that hurts people or hurts the environment. He “gives up” his petty self and its narrow boundaries as a survivor and watches the tremendous satisfaction which he gets as a contributor.

Living begins when one contributes something that will bring about more joy, more happiness, more light and more freedom. We must help others we do not even know, except to know that they need help. When a person is able to do something for someone else, he feels an inner expansion, not pride. It is an indication of growth because the essential nature of human being is fullness, wholeness. To live is to be a positive contributor, regardless of whether the recipient is known to him or her.

A man engaged in contribution is welcome everywhere in the world. He is a follower of
    Vasudeva Kutumbakam
    The whole world is our family.
    He enjoys happiness and “peace that passeth understanding” – a great sense of fulfillment.

Love,
    Chithra.

2. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitra
    This is a masterpiece.:yes: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: .You really motivated me with your analysis and inspired me to take the first step towards becoming selfless.:)

Regards
    Sowmya

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
  3. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra

Great topic chithra. You have explained very well the how to evolve from a survivor to a contributor. Well for me IL and You are the very good examples for this topic. Thank you.

Love
    vidhi

4. Chitvish

Dear Honey,
    Thankyou for being the first with the feedback.
    If you feel inspired by what I have written, I cannot ask for anything more ! That is exactly my purpose, " to wake up the sleeping giant inside every human being" !:)
    Love,
    Chithra.

Dear Chitra
    This is a masterpiece.:yes: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: .You really motivated me with your analysis and inspired me to take the first step towards becoming selfless.

Regards
    Sowmya

5. Chitvish

Dear Vidhi,
    Thankyou for promptly joining the F b list !
    You are always kindness & love personified to me, Vidhi.
    I fully endorse that I L (only) is the greatest online contributor to global ladies all over !
    Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

My dear Chithra,

A beautiful topic this time. A great compilation by you explaining the richness in giving others with no ulterior motive . It was very well written. No wonder, it is a very familiar ground for you because are you not practicing what you have preached here ? Giving one and all the unending treasury trove of your tried and tested recipes, not to forget the wonderful work you have done in our Religion and Spiritual columns! You could have written books and cashed quite a sum in royalties. It was the farthest from your thoughts.

Next comes, helping a man physically. It is not only the last but the least, because it cannot bring about permanent satisfaction.

The above statement confused me. Why is it the last form of giving? To look after someone physically is a very giving act. It involves a lot of effort and energy and much more. Caring for someone is not an easy task and don't we see nursing as a noble act?

Yes, I would like to live as a positive contributor. I may not have much to give, but I do take care not to hurt anyone. May God help me with that.

Nice one Chithra....L, Kamla

7. Chitvish

Dear Kamla,
    Thankyou for the FB - after quite some time on the day of posting.
    Helping a person physically is not going to satisfy him or her at all. Expecting more or on a regular basis goes on & you may not be able to satisfy him completely at any stage.
    That has to go on life-long like nursing, to become a noble act.
    Sharing knowledge is more noble because knowledge helps one to advance in life and you make him independant.
    Kamla, I cannot help mentioning that you are a great contributor, coming out with genuine, warm, personal, affectionate & above all non-hurting words to everybody with whom you interact. My salutations to you for that, my dearest friend.
    Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

A very nice contribution. You are an example of doing Nishkaama Karma.

:2thumbsup:

9. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear C,

I have always been thinking that I have been contributing to people by mostly handing out donations.

But now I realise the direction in which I have to begin real contribution. Thank you very much for your valuable advice.

10. Chitvish

Dear Hamsadhwani,
    Thankyou for the nice feedback.
    Can't help saying that you make me feel that I am asking for complement !
    Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.