The Law of Cycles - a Vedic View.

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

All phenomena in nature are cyclic starting from the Universe to the invisible atom. The law of cycles is a basic concept of Vedic Hindu Teaching. It underlies the Hindu Doctrine about the birth and death of the Universe, also known as Kalpa (emergence) and Pralaya (deluge).

Sunrise and sunset are cyclic. So are Uttarayana and Dakshinayana.

The four seasons, winter, spring, summer and autumn are cyclic.

We find this in the history of nations over thousand of years. There is a time when a nation rises to power plenty and alround development. Then comes a decline if there is a war and destruction. Like a wave in time – with an upward crest and a downward depression or trough – this cyclical rises and falls are a remarkable feature in the history of many nations like Germany.

In plant kingdom, dahlias, tulips are some of the “roots”, “bulbs” which take rest as it were in a dormant state in winter and enter a active phase by sprouting forth in summer.

Certain animals living in the polar and arctic regions also enter into a periodical slumber or hibernation in winter and summer.

We see numerous examples in zoology also like mammals, apes, chimpanzees etc.
    The human female has her sex cycle of reproductive changes. The monthly course of menstrual cycles has periodicity. The sex organs, internal hormone system and their physiological cycles exhibit a rhythm according to the Law of Cycles. The birth control schemes apply this law!

Universe exhibits this pattern too. The Cyclic stages of dormancy and dynamic activity in the greater life cycle of the One living Principle that pervades all the living world are described in our puranas. The “Kalpa” and the “Pralaya” are the periods of restive and active phases of the Cosmic Organism.

What is true of the universal, is true in the individual also.
    The law of cycles is evident in biology too . Life’s activities are all cyclic. The heart beat is a typical example. The cycle of heart’s pumping has
    Positive out-pumping phase called diastole
    Negative in- pumping phase called systole
    We can say that the heart has its day-half and its own night-half, in its cyclic law of ebb and tide!

Every idea that you have, every thought, affects your brain and mind by its impression. That begins the cycle. It may seem to leave your mind, apparently it goes out, but it returns again under the same cyclic law in some form either better or worse, and wakes up once more the old impression. Even the very feelings that you have of sorrow or gladness will return in time, more or less according to your disposition, but inevitably in their cycle. This is a law it would do good for every one to remember, especially those who have variations of joy and sorrow, of exaltation and depression.

However much we rely on technology, we must not forget that this is a basic law, which is inevitably operating eternally !

Thus we see that the Law of Cycles is a Universal Law. Only Hinduism teaches it as an eternal law with world wide applicability. It is in our hands to learn to turn problems into opportunities, keeping this law in mind.

Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.

2. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

Mrs.c,

You have done an amazing job explaining the Law of Cycles. We see it in every aspect of life.

Thanks for the wonderful post.

3. Chitvish

Dear Radha,
    I am equally amazed that you sent such a quick F B, I am thilled as well, to be frank !!
    I was postponing the posting of this topic, because I was not sure how inteesting this topic will be ! Now, I rest assured that it will be liked.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Ms C,

Why have doubts? I think our HInduism is one of the most interesting religions around. I have always been in awe of this cyclical stages for every mniscule atom in this universe, and you have explained it so beautifully.

So please do post more such intersting topics.

Vandhana

5. Chitvish

Dear Vandhana,
    Thanks for the feedback & the assurance, more !
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra

when I read it I had a feeling that you are come here to remind us of all the things that is present everywhere. we just ignore the significance of law of cycles even though it is present every and the very existence of all of us. Thank you again.

You know what I think I have to take the print out of all these topics and keep along with my recipe and shloka collections. These days when my daughter asks anything about religion I don't say I do not know. Instead I tell her give me sometime and check your forums and then explain her. And I take pride in that. Thank you chithra.

regards
    vidhi

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi chitra,
    just saw the post. was little busy. quite aptly written. our ancestors have given us beautiful guidelines in everything. even laws of cycles. If we really understand it, our life would really be smooth. when there is ups there will be downs. when there are good times, there are bad times. if we learn to balance and cherish the good times, we will be better when deaing with the bad times.

hope we learn the balance.
    love
    shanthi.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  8. Chitvish

Dear Vidhi,
    Thankyou for the F B.
    The law of cycles is an ever existing phenomenon, but we never take the time to pause and study how it exists, always, everywhere. That is why we say " whatever goes up will have to come down, one day".
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

Dear Shanthy,
    Thankyou for joining us here.
    This is the reason, life is comapared to a wheel !
    Your feedback is very nicely written.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chith,
    A very absorbing post portraying a simple truth. The law of cyclesalso tells us that we are too small in Creation and no different from other living things.I enjoyed this very much.The ups and downs in life and also ups are always going hand in hand with downs.and vice versa.................so wonderfully simple
    Regards,
    Meenu