Why study the Gita ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Of all the sacred texts of Hinduism, the Bhagavad Gita commands a pre-eminence. Hence we can boldly and emphatically assert that it is “ the heart of Hinduism”. The Gita is the crest-jewel of the Mahabharatha. The Gita is a scripture which tries to integrate the personality of the individual student and make him capable of facing dynamically all the challenges in his life.

Man is an “ intelligent animal”. His physical comforts and security form the materialistic aspect of his life. But he has a mind and an intellect and as a highly developed psychological being, he is restless and impatient with all his imperfections. It is here that the process of total satisfaction revealed in the Gita shines out as a Beacon Light for all lovers of “mankind and its destiny”.

From the materialistic point of view, man seeks a higher standard of living. But the scriptures and the rational philosophers clearly indicate that the happiness and glory of the world depend upon the standard of life of the individual.

The Gita not only indicates theories of the Hindu way of life but she reveals certain definite schemes by which every individual can work out his own self-improvement. The philosophical theories are given in simple language and the suggested schemes for self-improvement are unique in their variety and effectiveness.

In the Gita, we see the most successful mentoring relationship between Krishna and Arjuna.
    On seeing close relatives and friends in the Kaurava army, Arjuna became depressed and got into a trauma. Arjuna stands for the younger generation. Their mental problems such as their restlessness, impossible aspirations, unending desires, utter disillusionments, suffocating despairs, depressing dejections and self-deluding sense of materialism in life are all depicted in Arjuna.
    Krishna reminded Arjuna of his role. He was the leader, manipulator, motivator, mentor and influencer, all rolled into one. Krishna’s psychological treatment for him is the main theme of the Gita.

The Gita trains the younger generation to study the problems of life and to evaluate each of them correctly. This calls for good mental balance and intellectual application. Then the youth will be able to arrive at potentially creative judgements and constructive conclusions. The know-how is explained in the Gita. Thus the Gita is helpful in the ultimate development and growth of our young nation. A reverential study of the Gita is bound to enrich one’s mind and culminate in the dawn of transcendental wisdom.

There are many occasions in our lives when we are caught up in the rat race and we do wonder about its relvance in the grand scheme of things. The Gita helps us perform our duties irrespective of the grand scheme of things.

I here repeat Swami Dayananda's words
    "The strategy of invoking the Higher Being of Intelligence that lurks in each one of us and of defeating the dark forces of the ego and its dangerous henchmen is the "Dicovery of Life" chalked out in the Bhagavad Gita".

Love,
    Chithra.

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    I always used to wonder why people say bagavad gita as the holy book of Hindus even though we have a lot of other scriptures. Frankly i have not read the Gita till now except for the popular stanza : yedhu nadanthatho...."but truly whenever i read out those lines and observe the inner meaning of it i used to feel light& composed . Sometimes get goosepimples(on a lighter note).

You have brought our its imporatnce and the moral values that Gita Projects to a human being.It is very much necessary these days Chithra!! Because
    the words - Duty /Responsibility and Moral values of life have become absolete. From my personal experience of setting up my new house i could say this. Not even a single person (builder/Carpenter/Painter....) have done justice to the money what they have earned. Where is the Work Dharma here? Is it Rocket Science? All these questions go unanswered.....

Thank you for giving a vivid explanation on Why study Gita. Will take a
    Conscious effort to start reading it.

3. eagle

eagle Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

I should sincerely thank you for bringing this topic. I would like to share my experience here. I did not know the relevance of Bhagavad Gita until 5 yrs back. My mother passed away 5 yrs back and I was stuck in US for 3 months(bcos of visa reasons). I could not go and comfort my father back in India. I was so much filled with grief and sorrow. That was the time my husband suggested that I read Gita. I took him on faith and started reading Bhagavad Gita. I read abt 5-6 versus a day and contemplated on them. I felt so much peace in my heart , i cannot explain it. It was such a great experience. It made me so strong internally that when I went to India I could help my father cope with the loss.
    Reading Gita has become a habit for me and I have gained so much from it. It is helping me in facing day to day challenges . It gives the right perspective in life.
    I really want to thank you for sharing your views on this topic. Just practising a little of what we read can take us a long way. I am striving for it every day.

Love
    Shobana

4. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra madam,

It's really great to know the importance of Gita reading in our daily lives...

When I was schooling I learned Dvadasodhyayam (12th chapter) n Dviteeyodyayam (2nd chapter) in our school... Even now also every night we r hearing Gita at our home... We found some unexpressable happiness in it...

I have a small doubt n wanted to clear it... when I was pregnant last year I continued to hear Gita like always.. BUt my in laws advised me to stop hearing Gita for some time ( Until my delivary ) ..I don't understand the reason y shud I n cudn't asked em the particular reason behind it....

Any how now we r continuing to hear n enjoying Gita....

Thanq so much for started such a nice topic on Gita with ur great efforts...

5. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra

Studiously waiting to hear more from you. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My very best wishes.

regards
    vidhi

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  6. Chitvish

Dear Aishu,
    Thankyou very much for the very prompt feed back. I can understand your anger and frustration.
    Next to dharma, svadharma is very important - that is one's own path of duty and righteousness. For a society to improve, this is a collective action from everbody's contribution.
    Let us make sure, our own contribution is rightful and correct. Also, remember what we get is always, what we deserve and very rarely what we desire.That is where, prasada attitude has to come in. There ends our part.
    Acceptance of people & circumstances has to be developed choicelessly ! :bangcomp:
    We can never think of changing people or their attitudes. But, here again, the law of karma, comes in. He reaps what he sows. If somebody ( like the carpenter, painter etc) has wronged, they will get back for it, as their own prasada.
    The Gita just helps us to think deep, when we start getting answers for our various maladies.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

Dear Shobana,
    It is a pleasure to interact with you in this forum. Thankyou for the feed back.

The entire Gita in a nutshell is
    Self-ignorance is the cause of grief. Only self-realisation is the solution. The advantage is, the presence of external factors (or their absence) does not disturb my happiness. One realises " I am just not happy. I am the very happiness".

I am glad that you are reading th Gita, to your advantage, since you write

I have gained so much from it. It is helping me in facing day to day challenges . It gives the right perspective in life.

It needs determination, more than interest, Shobana. You are going in the right direction. May God be with you.
    Please continue with me.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Chitvish

My dear Teja,
    Thankyou for your enthusiastic feed back.
    I am suddenly anxious, if I can measure up to all your expectations, when I write on the Gita. The subject is profound & honestly, my knowledge is comparable only to a speck.
    I went through the Gita classes for 6 yrs first. I now feel, though I was an interested student, many of my questions were left unanswered. Now I am going through it a second time. I am able to understand better and find an answer to my own questions. So, I do not want you all to be discouraged, if it sounds abstract and unacceptable, initially.
    For your doubt, my only answer can be - Gita tells us the blunt truths of life about attachment and detachment, life and death etc. So when one is pregnant, these thoughts are likely to disturb the mental equilibrium. I can only think of this aspect - I may be wrong, as well.
    I pray God guide me right when I take up such topics.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

Dear Vidhi,
    You are as usual dutiful, as only you can be ! Thankyou very much.
    I plan to alternate all topics - " why do we...", elementary topics of vedanta ( to be able to understand the Gita), and first about various aspects of the Gita.
    I just plan to move ahead very gradually & very slowly, God willing.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

My life 10 yrs back was so much like any other youth - all those mental turbulence and that's the time I'd accompanied friends to meditation & spritual sessions, etc and found that there's a completely different world out there. I think I've just scratched the surface really. there's a long way to go for me and posts like this give me that right opportunity. pls do post more on the gita & enlighten us.

Love,