1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Discrimination based on appearance

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by rena2010, Apr 5, 2010.

1. rena2010

rena2010 Senior IL'ite

I just want to know why people give so much importance to appearance rather than giving it for their true nature/character

I am really disappointed today after my friend’s call to share her worst experience. My friend has medium complexion and doesn’t wear so grand dresses even if she goes for parties or functions. She wears some decent dresses which doesn’t attract her relatives but looks satisfactory for her. Today my friend attended her BIL’s betrothal and had a very bad experience. She wore some sandal color sari which has red border and few gold accessories (as she is not interested in accessories). Her SIL called her and had a conversation with my friend as below.

Friend’s SIL: Why can’t you wear some grand sari which costs more and have some more gold accessories. See, how others have come for the betrothal. Your co-sister is looking great and has fair complexion. So everything suits her. But you have medium complexion and so you have to do something extra to look at least okay. You are wearing only few bangles and that too it’s like a granny’s bangle. How will I introduce you to everyone?

Friend: I don’t give importance to my appearance at all and I like this bangle/sari a lot due to which I am wearing.

Friend’s SIL interrupted and said “I don’t like you being like this and I want you to wear some sari which looks trendy and latest one”. She left the place after that.
    My friend called me now and cried like anything. She told that she is not going to attend any function in her life hereafter. She started feeling like whether she looks ugly and nothing is going to suit her etc

I just want to know one thing whether my friend’s presence is important for that function or her appearance plays a major role? If my friend’s SIL is really concerned about my friend and thinks that my friend can look great if she changes her way of dressing, then that can be conveyed in a different way right? Is it wrong being dark or not having a grand look?

Why there is appearance based discrimination when a person is too good by heart? Is life all about complexion?

Please pour your views on this

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We do not know the exact words used by your friend's SIL. It is possible that she meant well, but didn't know how to phrase it tactfully. The same could also have been conveyed to your friend much later on.

Your friend cannot control what her SIL tells her, but she can totally control her reaction to it. She can learn from this experience. How one looks, dresses and carries oneself matters. If a woman wants to be simple in clothes and accessories, she needs to be exceptionally good looking naturally or have tremendous self confidence to deal with such comments. Not everyone is a born beauty, and not every born beauty looks great. With some effort, every woman can find what colors look good on her, which dresses suit her, what accessories are currently in fashion yet not very gaudy. The right saree, jewelry, makeup, hairstyle, accessories like purse, footwear, walking with confidence and a smile on the face plus a genuine interest in other people can make a world of difference in how a woman is perceived by others.

The bottom line is looks matter. We don't have to get carried away and spend too much time and money on them, but the other extreme of "I don't care for looks" is also not good.

Your friend may want to take the help of a friend or relative with good taste and update her wardrobe, cosmetics, hair style and so on. Looking well-groomed is important, more so on special occasions, and it also makes one feel happier and more confident. If we pay close attention to those around us, we will see that the well-groomed are not necessarily always very good looking - they only make the best of what they have.

-Rihana

3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Your friend should say: "Look, let me tell you something. I may be dark, but Iam a SEXY dark woman. I am dark like the night, like a piece of tantilizing chocolate, my skin is the black velvet covering the mysteries of my soul. I AM BEAUTIFUL AS I AM. As for my granny bracelets, please girl, you must not know the right word for it. It's called CLASSIC. Who cares about Deepika Padukone and Kareena Kapoor.... I AM A HEMA MALINI, A REKHA. I wear simple jewellery because I need no introduction. My sari is beige like the sweeping sands of arabia, my border red like the hot blood that beats through my veins. I AM A PROUD WOMAN, so please, next time you are looking to dole out fashion advice, give it to someone who needs it. Ciao." :thumbsup

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I don't think your friend's case is that of discrimination. She did not face any material loss nor was she denied any opportunities afforded to others in her position because of her appearance. It was a conversation, possibly rude and tactless, but just a conversation between two individuals, both adults.

As Rihana said your friend can only control her reaction to what her SIL said. If she is confident of her choices and secure about her looks she shouldn't dignify her SIL's rude comments by an emotional response.

But if as you say she is hurt by them, then it is quite possible that in spite of her denials your friend does care about her appearance. She might actually be insecure about her looks. Someone much smarter than I once said "no one can make you feel inferior without your own consent".

I believe that everyone cares about their appearance, Everyone. Period. You don't become a vain fop by caring about your appearance. Most people who say that they don't care about physical looks are just trying to blend into the background. They are too afraid to admit that they are insecure about their looks.

The unfortunate prejudice for fair complexions in Indian society seems to have scarred your friend. It is a perception of herself that she will have to work on. Tell her that nature has gifted her with the warm, glowing skin tone that White women in West pay 1000s of dollars and risk skin cancer for.

Being well groomed and taking an active interest in your appearance can be a great confidence booster. I know beauty is more than just appearance but it is a sad truth that people are treated better when they look better and with a little effort your friend can have it both ways.

5. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

I think your friends sil was really rude in that matter.She had no right to criticise others. I remember my cousin had come to a wedding party with a very simple salwar kameez. Her mother literally scolded at her. She is also dark in colour. But the way she talks and her down to earth nature makes everyone forget her appearance. Because she is such a sweet good natured girl. So i feel the real beauty is inner beauty not outer because if you look good but if your talks are boring , or if you are rude then that beauty has no value. Your friend must have definetely dressed in a decent manner. She should have told her sil straight that it is her preferance.

6. shrikala

shrikala Senior IL'ite

some people are so obsessed with looking good or i should say 'pleasing to look at'. it is very irritating when it is our own family/friends that makes such comments. They may mean well but it is sad they think superficial.
    I have acne scar on my cheeks. after 2 years when i went home for a vacation and went to see my best friend at her home, she told and i quote 'what is this, you face is so ugly. is not good to look at your face, first do something and remove the scar'.
    She doesnt have acne so she cannot understand my situation. I felt so bad but I can only pity her. If you feel disgusted to look at me and talk then talk to the hand LOL.

You cannot get a magic eraser and erase away the scars, you cannot pull a rajni kanth magic and turn white overnight, you cannot wear heavy jewels and dresses just because others want you to. you would do it if 'you' want it and are comfortable with.

Your friend needs to take such comments with a grain of salt and use a dont care attitude.
    If your friend were a millionaire or a politican, then people would say 'oh look at her, she is so simple and down to earth, doesnt show off her wealth'

7. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    wooww !! :clap :clap ASG very good reply. I am going to show this to my friend who always worries she is not of fair complexion.

Fair complexion is different or looking presentable is different . We all should look presentable according to the situation . If a person discriminates on the basis of complexion or insults on basis of complexion or not change-able factors in my body my answer would be "GO TO HELL !! " :) . I literally hate people who discriminate or insult or classify people on basis of external god given appearance. If it based on being presentable I would take it as positive criticise and try to improve myself in being presentable by wearing dresses or grooming apt to the situation. [/JUSTIFY]

8. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

As long as she is comfortable with how she is dressed, she shouldn't care about what others think. It is a family function, so while there is nothing wrong in her husband's sister wanting her to dress more elaborately, she has no right to use such rude comparisons with her other SIL. If she thinks she is dressed appropriately, she shouldn't worry about others and yes, tell them to keep their abnormally long noses out of her business.

9. rena2010

rena2010 Senior IL'ite

I do accept that she might have told in a good way only if she didn't say "How will I introduce you to everyone?".

Of course you are right. But I mentioned no where that she didn't have proper jewelry,makeup,hairstyle or accessories. I only mentioned that she wore few jewelry and not many. It doesn't mean that she was not wearing right saree etc... A person can wear gold jewelry only up to her capability and wish. She can't be a walking jewelry shop just because her cousin needs that.

You are right. Looks matters in all places even at office,temple etc. But look is not about complexion or amount of jewels. It's about how decent and well dressed people are. It's her wish to say whether she care for her looks or not. Also she didn't care for looks which her SIL expected.

100% RIGHT. Again, well-groomed is not about amount of jewels or cost of the saree.

You yourself have gave the explanation of "well-groomed" very well - "not necessarily always very good looking". You/me never know whether she made the best of what she has. She didn't appear good/costly in front of my friend's cousin eyes was the statement mentioned by me in the above post.

Thanks a lot for your reply :thumbsup:thumbsup

10. rena2010

rena2010 Senior IL'ite

The same advice was given to my friend by me. I loved the above sentence a lot which I missed to tell her :):)

Thanks a lot for your time...