1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Irritating Long Distance Relatives - Dooor ke rishte dar

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Prachi.B, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

This is story of my neighbour my friend, I thought of sharing with you. Might be some of you be facing with this kind of people.
    My friend and her husband are calm and cool person, whoever visit’s there place they greet them nicely. But now she was yesterday complaining that again after a month her long distance relatives are visiting to their place. Till now they have visited every year and my friend nor her husband has any close relation with the guest. They are door ke rishtey dar. Whenever they visit my friend’s husband has to take them for a shopping, outing, every time they want to visit a new place whatever distance be it. All the money is spent by friends husband only even on return tickets to their home also. Even they go for a stay picnic also for 3-4 days.
    Now my friend has got irritated as both they are working and it gets difficult for them to take a leave. Also these relatives stay at my friends place atleast 20-25 days. This time she is too worried.
    Can you anyone pour your ideas what you will do to this kind of guests and have you dealt with any such guests.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

If they are long distance relatives, and your friend or her husband has no attachment towards them, then it is time for them to say NO.

The next time when the relatives announce about their visit, ask your friend to say NO. Give some excuses like no leave from office, going on vacation, sick or whatever. But a clear NO
    If they could repeat this NO for sometimes, then it is better

1 person likes this.
  3. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

Wouldn't a simple "No" work??

1 person likes this.
  4. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

better still .. tell the rishtedaar you want to visit them this time and hand a long list of things to do ...see how they react..

3 people like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

They need to grow a backbone and say no. Firmly, politely but no. The guests take advantage because they can. No need for fussy explanations, just say that it won't work for us.

sindmani and NeetaR like this.
  6. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

Thanks SGBV, Charu n Malstorm for your suggestions.

First of all my friend cant say now NO as already the relatives have taken the tickets and they are visiting as per their scheduled date next month.

Second my friend cant visit the relatives place as they stay at village n my friend at city. So even though if my friend and her husband plan to visit village they cant demand for anything as in village hardly you get anything. Visiting village at guest place means no shopping and no outing. This option doesnot works.@swt.charu

Also my friends BIL and SIL stays in same city but the relatives will never visit at BIL and SIL place. They will just call them at my friends place for a short get together that's it.

Guests know BIL and SIL are not going to fulfill their wish.

The guests are in good relation with my friends MIL. So saying NO for anything will put them in a wrong position and it may be complained to MIL. So my friend get worried.

She says she is okay with the guest visit but for shopping, outing etc. she is not okay. So now how to understand the guests. Please help.

7. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

The only solution is to Take Action. Nothing else will work. If your friend is hesitant to make her stand clear, she and her H have to keep entertaining this relative forever. There are no shortcuts.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

This is strange indeed. your friend and friends husband are in such an embarassing situation. A polite NO explaining their situation can help. What if your friends keep on discussing about their leave issues to them stating indirectly that taking such frequent leaves may cause problem to their jobs...

1 person likes this.
  9. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

Can you tell me like what type of actions they can take. But they cant insult the relatives as they are elder persons.
    So please tell how to avoid the relatives.

10. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

Yes, Rith. Their BIL and SIL gave same excuses for the first time when relatives visited city at my friends place. So they never visited at their place.

But my friend and her husband are cool and calm person and hence relatives are taking their advantage by visiting every time.

There are many near by us who not dont good relations with parents and this people are like they are treating nicely with the dooor ke rishtedar also.

As time definetly she has decided to say NO for any picnic. But what about the shopping which can happen in sunday. How to avoid that.