1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gift for upanayaanam

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by RADIODOC679, Oct 11, 2015.

1. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

Hi All!!
    My nephew(BIL's son) has Upanayam(thread ceremony) slated in february 'He will be 10.Please suggest suitable gift ideas.My budget is rs 6000-10000rs max.
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Gold ring or silver bowl droom whoch he could actually eat food. Those would be lasting gifts.

Or if it is thigs he would enjoy now you are after a hamper with stuff like a watch, books, mini keyboard, video games clothes and the like.

3. itsmeonly

itsmeonly New IL'ite

Gold ring is best option in my opinion

4. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Radiodoc679

What we did was get him books that he would love as gifts and gave the amount that we wanted him to have as a fd that would mature at his 18+ year. incidentally there was a scheme that said double in 7 years..and it would turn out to be a good amount to get a bike..

2 people like this.
  6. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Some Savings scheme would be better for the rate you have mentioned
    or maybe a gold chain..

7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Any gift which signifies the upanayanam. The books on practices of meditation, manthras(gayathri), information about some spiritual ashrams to know more about meditation etc stuff, for him to go and explore more in his holidays or vacation time. U can talk in-detail about ur gifts and what to do with those , when his parents and he is sitting together.

8. rajakumaruma

rajakumaruma Senior IL'ite

Actually you can buy a gift card like a gift cheque nowadays. The validity is something like a year and they can buy whatever the child needs in that year. I didi the same for my nephew .I gave them a gift card for 20k.I thought it will be better it was practical and also the parents will be a little tight financially after the ceremony and it will be of much help to them.

1 person likes this.
  9. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

Thanks all for suggestions-Was thinking on same lines-But he has it all-Books,Money(both BIL& his Wife earn a lot actaully)He has globe trotted and seen 5 continents already,read all AHarry potter,Ruskin bond,Ronald doahl & whatnot-some of whioch havent heard also.
    ,and Gold chain will be made by both sides grandparents(my MIL for sure 2000% )Anyway my budget is less .Will see what i can make do.Thanks again for all suggestions!!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  10. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Dear Radiodoc
    Even if the kid has everything served on gold platter at his disposal the gift given by you will make a difference for him. So don't worry about your budget being small. Don't compare yourself to others and also don't worry about the comments from others.
    As a vatu during upanayana he is the form of Vishnu. What ever you are giving give it with love and best wishes. Also, don't forget to offer biksha rice with your money change along with rice.
    It is blessing to attend one such event, So enjoy yourself.