1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An introspection

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sweety127, Oct 2, 2015.

1. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Ok ladies,

No am not going to vent over here atleast for today..:wave

Its just a small introspection when I see my MIL innocently sleeping , while i sit on the couch browsing IL..What is that with this old woman?

She is a human being, definitely a good one but what made her do all the nasty things she did to me knowingly or unknowingly...I assume that she did it unknowingly as it gives me inner peace.. Was it the love towards her son or the hatred towards me? While the former is understandable, what did i do to earn her wrath apart from marrying her son..

She is a changed person now ( I believe)..still I try being cautious..But when she greets me when i come home, when she asks me to buy a helmet daily inspite of me forgetting, when she compliments everything about me and talks proud of me to everyone, prepares my favourite dishes, doesnt allow me to cut onions as it makes me teary-eyed, once she even massaged my legs when I was in pain, arranges my dusty book shelves or when she says go and read I will take care of… all I could do is wonder..thinkingsmiley

She still never fails to irritate me :bangand is spontaneously combustible. Even two days before we had arguments which was triggered by the stupid me. There she started all her allegations against me infront of H and started digging past issues..H too got irritated and told her to keep quite but she did not yield..This time I tried handling her different..Instead of reacting to her comments, I just held her hands told sorry for the trigger and told her to join us for dinner firmly but politely…The lady who was talking loud suddenly looked at me and started making me a different sabzi as I don’t eat NV..

So the next day emotional blackmailing started where she refused things cooked by me citing reasons but would cook everything for us:idontgetit:..Had I been the older me I would have politely told no to her food..Again I instead ate whatever she cooked and infact complimented the really tasty ones..Again her assumptions were proved wrong..

Today she is as normal as usual..Is it something related to oldage called, “second childhood” which Iam failing to comprehend.. Does this instantaneous shift in personality from insecurity to normalacy when we show little love and empathy at the most unexpected situations something related with the psychology of senior citizens.. i really don’t have any answers..But if it is really true I wish and sincerely pray to god to give me enough strength, serenity, maturity and patience to handle our parents in a much more matured way rather than fighting and yelling when they do something silly..:cheers

2. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Whatever good things u wrote ABT ur mil if they are true and not a pretence by your mil then I will say she is good at heart....
    Even persons good at heart fall short somewhere, vulnerable to their insecurity, tends to make mistakes....no relationship is perfect ....fights happen between sisters, brothers, mother daughter, father son...so it's all fine...end of the day if a person doesn't hold any bad intentions for you...all is fine...

sindmani and sweety127 like this.
  3. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

My MIL is also being nice. I donno what wrong (or right) with her.

2 people like this.
  4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Sons (in indian system) usually very dependent on mom. You mil may have had insecurity when you married, if you would grow more significant in son's life. Its a very natural psychological reaction, and unless one is quite secure this 'bad' manifestations do occur.

5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Whatever the reason,enjoy the change.

sindmani and sweety127 like this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Looks like it is a season of change. Like I have written somewhere else before, the same seems to be the case with me. Either they are changing or we are changing or both are changing. So long as it is for the better ......[​IMG]

Only, be prepared for inconsistencies in behaviour and let them blow over.

2 people like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Do such sudden changes in disposition, at that age, ever need medical attention? Since they are most likely past menopause, can't be due to that.

Just a thought. No sarcasm.

1 person likes this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Looks like some kind of goodness infection.....:hide:
    Hope it is not seasonal and becomes a chronic one.:coffee

2 people like this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yeah and in India the daughters come fully grown with no connection to her parents. They just go to a store and pick one. No psychological reaction from the girl's parents when the spouse becomes more important than them because they didn't foster a connection you see!

This attitude where such insecurities are given unnecessary weightage is the root cause, not the "natural" psychology. If it is so "natural" then it has to happen to mothers of all kinds not just mothers of sons in INDIA.

6 people like this.
  10. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

I didnt mean 'natural = healthy' Laks.
    I meant, its the reason or one of the reasons for those manifestations commonly in Indian families.