1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling very sad today

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Jas8085, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

Background : Arranged marriage - concieved immediately (not planned). Had hell of a time with inlaws. Sil was not married then. She and mil made my life miserable. MIL made excuses and made sure i didnt have a baby shower (Godh bharai). That thing still pricks me - when i see godh bharai pics of friends/family. Mil was also extremely controlling, manipulative and caused horrible fights in the early days of my marriage. DH and I are ok now, but cracks from early days didnt heal fully. I completely cut contacts with inlaws after one terrible fight. I also restricted access to my son. DH used to send his pics sometimes - thats it. DH and I used to go separate ways after landing in India even though both our parents are in the same city.

Sil got married recently and apparantly her inlaws are very nice people. I didnt attend her wedding
    MIL has now suddenly turned very nice to me. I feel this is due to having to make excuses about me to her samdhis. inlaws are visiting us at the moment - first time (we moved to US and recently moved to London). All this to put up a good show in front of samdhis - no other reason. They didnt bother patch up until now - i cut contacts many many years ago. Also from day1 of their visit, they've been talking about them getting old, about plans when we return to india for good etc. . I fell pregnant a few days before they arrived. We told them after they came - they are going around telling people that they came to look after me. They are being nice to me (or id pack them off ) but doing nothing ppl would do for a preg woman. No cooking good stuff for me or anything. Not that i care, just mentioning so that you understand.

Am I being a total bakra without absolutely any choice?? So they harass me whenever they please but when they behave, im supposed to shut up and be nice, talk to them, give them access to my kids?? She said last times godh bharai mess was not intentional. Im 5 months pregnant now and she didnt bother to talk about Godh bharai this time yet (its done on 5th month in our family) ). To rub salt in my wounds, she was browsing through her relative's godh bharai pics IN FRONT OF ME!!

I just want to cry. I dont get much love and support from my own mum. Thats also perhaps one of the reasons why she does this to me. I hate her and I dont know why I have to see her face given that she is behaving now for her own reasons.

I dont know why im even starting this thread. i just cant stop crying.

2. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Hugs to you dearie. First of all, stop crying and feeling pity for yourself.
    First things first You are pregnant, with a life inside you. Be positive, eat well and take care of yourself.
    For now, as long as they dont torture you - give them a chance. Not a chance really, just let them be. Whatever the reasons they are being nice, they are being nice. Thats what matters . Beware of them - dont trust them too easily, but enjoy the peace of mind for now. Be aware that they may flip colors any time.

Second, if you want a godh bharai, tell your husband. Is that ok? can he arrange one for you? What is his take on this?
    If your MIL doesnt arrange one, YOU arrange one for yourself :) Get your H's support and make your H call your firends and family. I know it sounds desperate , but what is to stop you from having some good old fun?

6 people like this.
  3. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Go for it as gauridinesh said. Put everything on the back seat and think only about the little one inside. Take good care of your health, don't worry about anything. Everything will move on. Hope your hubby is supportive. Talk to him and arrange for a godh barai. Inform us too. All the very best and congrats too.

1 person likes this.
  4. icanniwill

icanniwill New IL'ite

Hi Jas,

I hope you feel not so sad soon. Try to cheer up. I know it is easier said than done. But, just think about your baby and yourself. Do whatever makes you happy. Also, since you understand that your MIL is doing stuff to rub salt on your wounds, try and ignore that. You will feel much better if you show her that nothing she can do can upset you. Be happy in front of her. And about Godh Bharai - I think it is ok to have a small get together that you plan your self with family and friends to just celebrate a key moment in your life. Lot of people in the western world do that. you do not need anyone else to celebrate it for you. I know you may not know traditional customs of how religious things may be done but a lot can now be found online. Also, it does not matter if you don't do everything by the books. God will not be keeping any records about whether you have done x, y or z on that day. Just do what pleases you and you DH.

Wishing you happy days ahead.

1 person likes this.
  5. whitedaisy

whitedaisy Bronze IL'ite

My life is much similar to you. My MIL also didn't do baby shower with first pregnancy. She always says they don't have custom in the family for everything.

With my second pregnancy I didn't care her. Now I am in US. I didn't wait for MIL, DH approval. I just ordered food from outside for guests on phone, bought saree online.
    Hired a temporary helper for 2 days. Asked her to prepare few sweets and snacks for me at home. Invited friends and celebrated it.

15 people like this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Virtual hug. Plan your own godh bharai and let people assume your sweet PIL are doing this for you and the grandchild.

7. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

Inlaws are leaving in 4 weeks. I just want them to.go.

DH is useless at planning and arranging things. He cant even give me a proper surprise.

Where is the whole point in taking so much stress and arranging a whole event on my own? Its more about the religious part for me. i have a full time job and a child to manage too.

i am pretty strong usually. But today, i cant stop feeling bad for myself. I think about everyone - my parents, my sister, brother - send them flowers, cards etc for th eir birthdays - no one does anything for me. I just live like an orphan. Even small favours (like posting some papers from delhi) they make a big deal out of it.

Everybody thinks i dont need any love or support because i am strong, dont cry or do emotional stuff.

6 people like this.
  8. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

my inlaws are totally shameless. They will happpily claim credit.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

But but but... you is a bakri, no? :)

Vent away. Cry a little. Happens to the strong ones.. they do all for all including parents and siblings, and none to do a bit for them... In-laws thing - you did limit access to your kid, so try to think of that score as settled?

An old favorite lesser known song I like to listen to sometimes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cShR7ArQRTU

Ponch kar ashk apni aankhon se, muskurao, tho koi baat bane.
    (after some tears) wipe away the tears, and smile... then destiny gets made...

1 person likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Made me smile on reading this. :)
    Bought saree online is the sassiest part, if one had to pick.

Nice.

2 people like this.