1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should i give money to MIL before going backhome

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SadMarried, Sep 3, 2015.

1. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

My MIL is same as most of the MILs wehear about in IndusLadies.I have had ok(not too bad) relationship with her until she came to be with us 5 months ago. She came to look after my baby boy so that i could join my work after maternity.

My relation with hubby(which has been bad for last 1 yr mainly) had been impacted badly since she came, like my Hubby treating me bad in front of his mum and her supporting him on that, playing politics etc to make me feel bad. Me and hubby had real bad fight twice since she came and she was main influence behind it. These are all negatives that happened since she came.

There has been some positive things too which i think i should mention , my baby got very good care because of her presence when i have been working full time. TBH thats the only positive i can think of.

Now im really really glad she is going back in 15 days. There wont be any more politics at home/i can ask my hubby to help me at household work(hopefully)/i dont have to hear/see tantrum and complaining all the time.I have decided to send baby to childcare for 3 days and working part time for rest.

Now im in dilemma , shall i give her some money as appreciation (obviously not used the word) for coming and looking after my son as gift? I have been doing shopping for her to take with her back home time to time ( even if she doesn't like most of the thing i buy). When i remember about how badly she treated me /spoke to and about me , i think she's not even worth what i have already been doing. My hubby sends money/gifts to his parents & family time to time .I'm sure he is planning to send some soon. But i thought may be i should offer something from my side to MIL ( to make her happy and show some appreciation) but then i wonder is she really worth it ? my hubby's going to do that anyways ( spending too much on his family has been reason for fight between us in past, and he blamed me i stopped him from looking after his family,big lie, i only wanted him to watch out).

Please shed some light.

2 people like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No, no and no. Big no!

Money will always get misinterpreted, more so from DIL or son-in-law.

And, more than that, no amount of money can equal what she did - a grandparent's love and care is invaluable.

Just be casual about everything. Be usual in next two weeks, at airport, and in the days immediately after she leaves. No post-mortems. Casual is the keyword.

Do find a way to genuinely express your gratitude to her. Depends on family and customs. Usually, farewells are emotional. A tight hug. Or if there is a family practice of touching her feet when she is leaving, then just tell her after that that you appreciate her effort.

7 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Agree with Rihana...no money.
    Perfect . This may help start your post mil phase with husband smoothly too.

1 person likes this.
  4. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

When i said money (in a way, ma keep this money and buy something nice for you or someone else you want to gift ), she likes being given money , saying from past experience. I used to ask her if i could send her something she may like , clothing/electronic/footwear/bags/cosmetics , she would say if she could have money , she can buy things her selves. so every time i go back home , i give her good amount before i leave.

Expressing gratitude/touching her feet/ praising her everything i do already(even if she is not worth any of those things, u dont know how mean she has been to me ).

yes you may be right , this time i will not offer any money even if as a gift, as no matter how much i spend or do , i can never be good DIL to her.I will let my hubby to spend on his parents as much as he want not bothering about him being too careless with what he gives.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

This is the only thing that should matter.
    So why do u buy things she doesnt like ?
    U could have pooled the money and given it.

6. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

First of all, she definetly is worth of getting some special gift because she took care if your precious baby . That is the crux , rest all are irrelevant . She came for that purpose and she delivered on that purpose .

i would not offer money , it will be misinterpreted , if you really wanted to gift take her to a gold shop or some where in which she is interested as buy some gift for her .

We always give my parents or my hubby's parents some bulk amount when they leave irrespective iof what we spend on them and thier shopping but I handle my mother part and my H handles his parents part. They can then use it buy something in India too , like my mom is going to buy bangles with the amount I gave

2 people like this.
  7. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

Whether she looked after my baby or not , she is mother of my hubby , we always have been showering her with gifts and money . And is it not responsibility/blessing of looking after grandchild, back home , Grandparents look after grand kids for all life. So is it matter , we really have to be so thankful of , don't get me wrong , im very thankful and i tell her that, but as they don't need to thank us for things we have been doing for them , doesn't it work same way?

Looking after grandson , she did as she had no choice , her son wanted her to be here for that . And obviously , we have been taking extra care of what she likes , taking her out every weekend , making sure she doesn't feel lonely and enjoy her stay here.

But She made my life living hell in last 5 months , she did everything a mean mean MIL could do, and my hubby also turned against me badly because of her , but i have started to ignore her tantrum and not hurt by her action or words recently. She is going soon , so she is acting little better, so which makes my life relatively easier as even one day had been felt like year.

My real question was , is it necessary to shower her with money/expensive gift even if she has been so mean to me in an effort to may be put some effort to make relation better , not only with her but with hubby? there is no real urge for me to do anything for her because of what she has been doing to me , but still i thought may be its my kartavya to do so ? or its not worth doing anything when she will not appreciate it anyways ? or she bad mouth me when she goes back home, or her son will not see any positive on doing that and may in fact pick something to hurt me? or if hubby is gonna send bulk amount anyways soon , i can save my hard earned money not giving away ?

Money is not that important to me but doing things to someone when you are hurt by them so much , i though shall i do out of kartavya/pretending or just leave it ?

8. yukthasri

yukthasri Bronze IL'ite

A big No for giving money. Please thank her by taking for Lunch/ dinner and for shopping, let her buy what she wants.

1 person likes this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

From this post it looks like , You don't appreciate her for taking care of the child then why bother about the gifts . When it is not from heart, better not do it.

Make sure next time you over rule husband if he suggests her for childcare.for now he called her and let him show appreciation.

10. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

@ SadMarried really ??????? u r going to pay for the baby sitting for ur MIL great.

even though if it may angry u I just want to ask a question what would be ur answer if ur husband want to give some money for ur mother for helping the baby?
    that hurts isn't it.

I don't know what r the issues about your mother in law and you. and what make u to think so.(giving money).
    a word thanks with the gratitude from ur mother in law may make wonders in the relation ship of u and your MIL don't say it like that say it from heart. why iam saying this after putting ur baby in the day care and half day taking care of the baby you will understand the value what favour u got from ur MIL.
    if iam harsh to u don't feel.
    I want u to make the right decision in our life which smoothen ur life and the sad married will soon turn happily ever after.

1 person likes this.