1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Makes your DH Support you?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by HakunaMatata, Sep 1, 2015.

1. HakunaMatata

HakunaMatata Gold IL'ite

Some wives are lucky to get support from DH(from the starting of married life) in front of ILs..
    Some wives get support from DH after some years of married life only..

To oppose his parents for his wife is not a easy task for husbands, definitely husbands have to win his parents emotional war (in his heart) before supporting his wife and also have to face the consequence of it.

There would be some point of time on which your DH stop tolerating his parents and start support you in front of others..

Share with us, what makes your DH to start supporting you..

Here my :my2cents :
    1. First I stopped talking about IL (on both good and bad things) to DH, mostly i talked all other in the world except them.
    (This greatly helped in my case. Not reminding about them, makes my DH to be get relax with me. He dont need to be mentally alert on how to reply back, if in case i talked about them.. Our fights greatly reduced because of this.)

2. After IL problems, I started to ignore them and concentrate on my work.. Just dont think or analyse about them or the situation.. Leave it..

3. Talk less, if you feel uncomfortable with them.. we are not entertainers to have to entertain them all the time, just do the needful thing and move on with your work..

4. Once in a while, just inform your husband how you are getting treated by IL and his relatives.. This should be like "Just for information", definitely should not like argument or should not expect any answer from him..
    Shall I tell a secret??
    #4 point made my DH support me, I just tell the things that hurt me just like an info and say that how their response or action hurt me (dont exaggerate) and then I will move on in the name of some work.. Didnt wait there to see his response or reply.. If we expect reply, definitely he will mentally prepare himself to support his relatives.. But if we leave it to think him alone, he may analyse it.. Dont do this immediately after your IL visit or any fights..

5. Create your own world with your hobbies and interests..

14 people like this.

2. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

your little secret is very very valid... that's the trick... get them to think on their own without trying to argue all the way.. better still is to look genuinely amused at the things that ILs do or say ...

your point 5 is equally important if not more...

1 person likes this.
  3. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

If I can add another ...

I always attempt to be "fair" while dealing with ILs... do what needs to be done without overdoing anything.

My DH "believes" (and ofcourse I have never and will not let him down) that I will not do anything that will harm the family's well being.

Winning this trust is the key I suppose.

1 person likes this.
  4. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

A very nice thread and will help people like me, who just started to understand what married life is...

one question, how many years it took for you to make your husband support you???....

1 person likes this.
  5. Anvitha

Anvitha Moderator Staff Member Gold IL'ite

iam still waiting to get the support still after these many years.

i feel better to start from day 1 before dh gets another impression.

2 people like this.
  6. HakunaMatata

HakunaMatata Gold IL'ite

@deeprapriya, it took me 4 years for my DH to support me..

7. HakunaMatata

HakunaMatata Gold IL'ite

for #5 point -- yes, its is ture @swt.charuAfter starting to do my interest work and hobbies, i felt a great change in myself..

8. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Well said HakunaMatata. I agree with you

9. HakunaMatata

HakunaMatata Gold IL'ite

Thanks for adding a good point.. @swt-charu.. Please add more points if you like..

10. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

From your 5 points I noticed that, your husband didn't start supporting you. You stopped expecting his support!!! :thumbsup :) and I believe thats the key for any peaceful marraige.

Good going!

3 people like this.