1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to reconcile with in laws - have not spoken for a year

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Luckystar, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Luckystar

Luckystar New IL'ite

My husband had a breakdown and confessed to me and his parents he had been using prostitutes for 20 years even before we met. His parents wanted me to leave the house. When I challenged them and said I had done nothing wrong why should I go they said I was rude and have not spoken to me in a year.

Last month at an event I saw them and said I was sorry I had been rude (I had not) and touched their feet. They said they forgive me (!). There has been no contact since then. His sister does not want to get involved in her brothers problems. Her husband is very rich and she just wants to enjoy her nice life and children. She also has not spoken to me in a year.

I have made the decision to stay in the marriage and for that reason want to improve relations even though I know they are in the wrong and are not nice people.

They do not associate with their other relatives because FIL accused them of using black magic, so his parents, in laws and a cousins family are the only relatives he communicates with.

What can I do to break the ice?

2. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

Why do you want a relationship with such people. You said sorry and still they do not contact you. I would leave it to fate and see what happens, go on record with your DH you tried. Relations can only be fixed or improved if both sides attempt to work on it and want to fix it, if just one side does then it will never work. Sounds like they are not interested and your efforts will go in vain. I know this because same thing happened with me, and I do understand why you want to have a relationship because they are your DH parents, but what to do if they are not interested? You just have to leave at saying hello and being polite when you see them, that's about it.