1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it Indecent to Mention to In Laws that We Need Some Privacy?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by iamsrihere, Aug 27, 2015.

1. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

From the time of my marriage, in laws have always made sure that me and my DH do not have private time. Like they always want to combine their plans of outing with us . During the initial stages of marriage, it was like all 4 of us used to go out anywhere, even for my birthday. Then slowly, my MIL starting getting sick, so we went out alone. But when it comes to going to our hometown, they always combined their plans with ours. We want to go there and stay atleast for two days in privacy but it never happens.

Now this is the current scenario. One of my cousins who stays in our hometown has invited for a cultural programme. DH and me were discussing about this over the phone while I was in my mom's place. My MIL had asked my DH if we are going . He had told them that we (DH & me) will go if he is free from office work. I kept asking him over the phone, if they (MIL & FIL) mentioned anything about going to hometown since they already had plans to go in the month end. He said since MIL is not feeling so good, they don't seem to be talking about this.

Now I came back to my inlaws home a couple of days back. I showed them the invitation which my cousin had sent. My inlaws asked me if we are going , and I said depending on his work we will go. My FIL immediately said they are having plans and so all 4 of us can go. My MIL also accepted and started making plans as to how we can commute. I expected this ,so didnt irritate me much. Now DH says we might not go since he is busy with his work since weekend. My FIL today asked my DH about the plans to hometown, for which DH replied he has work ,and asked them to go if they want. My MIL immediately started saying she is sick and scolded my FIL for not understanding:bonk..So she said they will not go..

Not just this scenario, most of the times, FIL keeps mentioning it will be boring if only we both go out, like only with more people it will be fun.

Now ,my doubt here is, is it bad/ indecent to just put a word to inlaws casually saying it is only during their going out of town or we going out of town that we get some privacy. Will she get the cue? What will be consequences if I talk about the need for privacy to them?

Umanga likes this.

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

May I ask, how long have you been married?

3. iamsrihere

1.5 years..

4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

It depends on how they take it. Some people will respect your privacy, whereas the others take it as an offence. Also depends on your relationship with in laws.

Better plan this way if you really starving for privacy.

- If you are going anywhere, keep the plan secret till the last moment. But inform in laws a day before or so. So that they couldn't make any last minute arrangements like buying tickets, packing etc... to join you guys.

- If both you and in laws are to go to some places for some events around the same time, then it is obvious they wish to travel together. However, for a few occasions for privacy reasons, you may either prepone or post pone the dates citing work reasons. Eg: If there is a wedding on the 10th, and everyone is planned to travel on the 9th, you may chose to travel on the early morning of 10th. Such last minute trip is not everyone's choice. So they may chose to travel as planned. But you guys can travel together and both can return as a whole family.

- Plan some youngster's programs such as a new movie, hiking etc..etc... which elders may not like to attend.

My advice is, find your privacy in a convenient way as you both prefer instead of ruining your relationship with in laws. I mean, don't find privacy during family trips.

1 person likes this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Doesn't matter how long a person has been married. A married couple needs privacy .Period.

OP ,You should be upfront and say " We both are planning to go to XYZ "
    While going to your native place can be a whole family thing specially if they were already planning to go.....you can visit other places yourself. A quick visit to a
    near by tourist place over the weekend can be started with "we both are going to xyz ".

While visits to native or other places where all four can go could tart with"We were thinking all of us should....."They should get the hint.

How about sending them of to visit some place from time to time while you spend some fun time with each other at home.

6. iamsrihere

This is exactly what we have been doing till today. But what irritates me is that they don't even realize that we would like to make our own plans. If they were really interested in going they would have gone irrespective of our plans. But what they are doing in reality is, they go if we go, they cancel if we cancel. This is driving me crazy.

sindmani and Umanga like this.
  7. iamsrihere

Since this is small fance programme I do not wish to force DH with his busy schedule. So I can't even plan this trip now.

My MIL has always been sick citing the reasons of menopause, diabetes and gastric problems. So they never are interested to go anywhere by themselves. Like I said, even for this trip, if we go, they are ready to go. My MIL was actually planning about the time, means of transport and everything. Today just because my DH clearly said he cannot, she also backed off.

And this cousin's invitation is only for me and my DH since it is a small dance programme. So my in -laws were like you both go, in the mean time, we will finish some work there(some bank work that they were having). How come they are not bothered to finish the work now? Why is it dependant on our plans??:idontgetit:

Umanga likes this.
  8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    Whether they take it as an insult or not - partially depends on how you say it. Try to explain it in a suave way without sounding it as a put down. That may help in this situation.

9. iamsrihere

Iam thinking of mentioning this in a subtle way at some point, not immediately now so that they really realize that they are too interfering.

10. RedFlower

RedFlower Silver IL'ite

Does DH has the same thought as you in this privacy thing? Is he getting irritated by your in laws behaviour? Or just that he is okay to take his parents also everytime?