1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A different type on in-laws problem

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by simpleGuy, Aug 23, 2015.

1. simpleGuy

simpleGuy New IL'ite

Hi All, may be my situation will sound unusual but please give you reply if you have anything so say. It will mean a lot.
    First of a all I am a male, 30s. I think this forum is mostly for ladies discussion but what I am going to post is woman problem only. My wife was expecting a baby and some time back we were blessed with a beautiful baby. To help us in the situation her parents came to stay with us from india. Now my wife has kind of had a strained relationship with her parents especially mom so she was reluctant. But her parent forced an invitation out of us saying we are alone in USA, how will we do baby stuff, they can help with everything etc. etc. We finally agreed since my parents cant travel due to health reasons and it is our first baby.
    I book their tickets and they came to us. We made good arrangement for them, gave biggest room in house with attached bathroom new furniture my wife spend hours even in her pregnancy so that they do not face any inconvenience. Things were fine for first few days but then it changed. MIL did not like working too much in kitchen, she used to make faces. My wife was 9 months so dint do much but i can work in kitchen cook whole meal so i used to help. But she started having problems with making dinner for us. Did not used to enter kitchen till 8, then 8:30 and sometimes even 9. My wife need food on time so we will eat whatever snacks or quick food. Frequently we had from outside which we also got for them so they get rest in cooking. Even my wife cooked few meals, the night we went to hospital for delivery she had made luch for everybody. My in-laws were very reluctant to come with us in hospital so i asked them to stay at home. It was a long labor and I was awake for 50-60 hrs at a stretch but had no help from anyone. After having baby she suggested my wife eat hospital food only but my mom in india suggested us few things, so she reluctantly made khichdi. But not a single advice on what do do as new mother and new things for baby about which we have no clue. In fact sometimes she used to give us wrong advice. Sometime she servedd stale food to my wife in pregnancy for which she used to cry.
    After coming home it was little better, but she gave me a long list of grocery items like 1 kg dry fruits 4-5 boxes of pure ghee butter etc. I was very happy to bring these since she wants to take care of my wife. But i slowly realized my FIL and MIL are having most of that, only my wife gets khichdi once a day. Since i now go to office I have no control over situation. After I come back I used to make some light but good food for my wife as my mother suggests me. My MIL and FIL would have meal in which they can finish a 1 kg box of ghee in 4-5 days, 1 bottle of milk every day, lots if fruits and badam etc. and she told me that is their habit from india to have good meal. My wife told me its not true they always had somple meal like dal roti growing up. When they cook something for me it will be in regular vegetable oil. they frequently hide from us to eat like early mornirng and late night. Sometime when we go to doctor visit they finish a meal wash utensils quickly and pretend they dint eat anything. Once we caught them red handed when we came back early and they quickly hide in one room with food but i followed them and saw eating halwa. On other hand we were having only lunch after morning tea no breakfast, since we are both busy with baby so no time to cook.
    She is very reluctant to take care of baby, my wife keeps the newborn most of the day. She always offers but when there is time she is nowhere to be seen. Either go out for walk or sitting in puja or doing yoga. It was our plan to send baby to daycare at 3 months, my wife take 2 months vacation and 1 month they will keep the baby. But as the time is near they are showing difficuly and frequently faking being sick. My wife told me before marriage she has been faking sickness at critical time of housework for example family functions and wife did all the work. We are now scared as there is no daycare arrangement and she has been behaving stragely as the time nears for her to show any responsibily.
    Till date she has not done a single diaper change for baby. I have been bringing anything they says even cooking meals for them, going office taking care of house, doing laundry. We even celebrated their birthdays bringing cake and gifts. Their son in india never does any of it, still they remember their grand daughter an cry in front of me as if things are very difficult here. My FIL is old but active in india does all household work because their son does not do, but here he is not at all helping. I tried to engage him by showing some plants he could water but he did not do a single day. My MIL is very agressive to both me and my wife, sometimes she also give us some avice which is wrong. WHen we follow some good advice form my mother in india she is very surprised and shouts at us this is wrong we should not do it. she constantly compares me to her son and my wife to her daughter in law who do not respect them very much, but still they show them in good light and put us down. My FIL is keeps telling me all sacrifices he has done for his daughters, like going with them to different schools when they had exam, and now he has to come here. But he says son is better because with daughter it was very difficult. They also visited us before when we did everything in our capacity take them to different cities for sightseeing, restaurants temples stayed in hotels and what not with our busy schedule, but they have never said a single word of appreciation or thanks to my wife just criticizing her food, or kitchen clealiness.

I just want to share this story somewhere, thanks for reading. Have you ever heard of such a parents anywhere?

1 person likes this.

2. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Feeling so sorry for you and your wife especially. Maybe they have son syndrome and ill treat their daughter. Instead of wondering why they are mean and getting upset about your ILs.. I guess you have to make arrangements to take care of your lil one. Is it possible to arrange for a nanny for the baby ? If possible fix one ASAP. Send your wife's parents back home and train the nanny before you both resume working.

3. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Hmm.. looks like the sole purpose is enjoying vacation for them. Nice to know that you're handling things maturely and taking great care of your wife in her important phase. Things you can do now-

1) Make plans for the kid- extended leave of wife/ early daycare/ hiring nanny. Please don't be dependent upon people who have made their intentions clear
    2) Let other stuff go on for sometime. Focus your energy on wife and kid
    3) Take you wife out for sometime, maybe a walk

4. paramlav

paramlav Silver IL'ite

Disgusting it's .....on their part. There are people who don't take any responsibility . If i were in your situation ,don't think anymore and have sent them back to India as early as possible who are of no use and more irritable . Try to get extend maternity leave think it would be possible . Please help her in kitchen its one hour task( preparing food wash utensils at the same time do laundry and for mopping ) . Am also new to parenting i do like this and rest whole time just taking care of baby.
    When they sleep say your wife to sleep have her food. Initially it may be hard but this works. Take care of you , your wife and precious kid..enjoy these moments

5. Gayabala

Gayabala Senior IL'ite

Talk with your wife what she feels....if she wants better send them back.....

2 people like this.
  6. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Yes...my in-laws are one such parents..I don't know how they behave with their daughters but with their son n me they behave same...in fact for a minute I thought u r writing ABT my in-laws....

Finishing kilo of ghee in 4-5 days but if cooking for son...use vegetable oil....prepare halwa pakode etc in absence of son and dil...eat quickly n wash the utensil...I also caught my mil like this many times....in front of me my mil put loads of ghee in my fils daal but for her son she will not put a drop...after giving chapati to my fil she will not ask her son whether he needs too??? Kgs of sweets will get finished and even her son will not get a piece...u will see nobody is eating but the box is gettin empty....

Now no use of banging ur head on this....this is plainly cheap behaviour....You have learnt ur lesson....now send them back and now onwards never ever take any help from them...
    Parents can't be removed from life so from next time be ready for their behaviour....
    Don't rely on them for baby care even for a month...from my experience I can tell you that they will not do a bit for ur baby even in ur absence...it's risky to leave ur baby with them....better hire a nanny....

7. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

I would suggest sending them back from their vacation at the earliest.Its really cheap of them to do such things,shows their character in fact.Talk to your wife of what she feels you should do,take her into confidence before booking their return tickets.
    Meanwhile try and look out for a nanny or a cook in case your can afford one.I am sure your life will change once they leave ,leave for good.

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

1) Lessons learned about your in-law's nature.
    No, they should not slog day and night, but here it looks like they are not even being minimally helpful. Given your wife's relationship with her parents this is not entirely surprising, but people usually mellow at least for a grandchild.
    2) It's good you have your wife's back and are functioning as a team. Keep meals simple. You can even cook and freeze on weekends, and get rotis from the Indian store.
    3) House chores can take a backseat for now. As long as it is clean enough for the baby that will do. If finances permit you can hire a weekly or biweekly cleaning service.
    4) Prioritize lining up excellent daycare, be it outside or a nanny. If it is a nanny your in-laws may drive her nuts though.
    5) Be cordial to your inlaws for the remainder of their visit but think twice about having them back.

9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

You cannot force an unwilling party to take care of your child.better start finding a nanny or day care. If nothing works one of you try to get unpaid leave till the baby adjusts to the new routine.

Bear your in laws visit for the reminder of time or go by your wife decision.

And do not call them again if they force in future

10. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

You can better send them back after checking with your wife....

THey are here to help you and not to multiply your work... if it goes on like this, you both will end up in lot of stress....

Better is to extend your wife's leave so that you both can have some peace..... tell them some reason and book their tickets....