1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I being petty or egoistic ?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Joyoflife, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

i really would like to all sorts of views as I am not sure about what I'm thinking is right or it's just my ego. I have been married for nearly 10 years, my husbands older brother who is around 5 years older to my husband has hardly called for 4 or 5 times in all these years and that was when he needed money. He never calls us not even on birthdays or anniversaries. Forget calling he doesn't even text us to wish happy birthday to our dd. Bil also lives in a western country, so the excuse that overseas calling is expensive is not valid here. My husband is the only one who calls all the time. If my husband doesn't call for months, bil will never try to stay in touch. My husband calls on both of his nephews birthdays, brothers bday, their anniversary, Diwali ,new year and even otherwise. This time my husband called his brother after two months and DH started making silly excuses for calling after a long time. Never once he tells his brother that he should also call sometime. In the beginning of marriage when I was working very hard to set up my bussiness, I used to work 10plus hours. In the evening my husband used to put me on phone with his 2 and 4 year old nephews on the name of maintaing the relationship. Now bil never even bothers about calling us to know about our daughter. is maintaing relation only my DH s responsibility. These days it really irks me a lot when hubby makes calls to his brother. Should I say something to him or just let it go. Is it actually an issue or just my ego. Really need your insight to clear my mind.

Manojs likes this.

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

It is your husband calling so it is between your husband and his brother .

if he forces you to maintain relationship you can refuse and cite all the above examples why you feel you should not.

if he is not forcing you, leave it to your husband on how to manage his folks .

5 people like this.
  3. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

thanks for replying. A part of me also says the same. I will try to bite my tongue.

4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Dont get in-between the brothers. Let them be the way they are.

1 person likes this.
  5. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

The elder brother not calling doesnt equal to him not caring.This has to do with personalities of people.I myself never bother about calling my brother doesnt mean i dont love him and dont have his best interests at heart.

If you dont want to maintain relationship with his brother its totally fine,however dont try to influence your DH against his brother.Sometimes we get caught up with our own lifes so much that its impossible to keep on maintaining relationship with our own siblings.However they are still held close to heart.

2 people like this.
  6. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Blood is thicker .. and you just can't deny it ..

Don't go in between them..

1 person likes this.
  7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Your thinking is not egoistic or petty. it is natural to think they are not calling why only from your H side , it has to be always.

But it is not an issue as you are not made to call ur BIL or ur co-sis . But you can remember your DH that they never call us, they call only when (money) need is there for them? see how your H reacts?
    Do you thnk your BIL is selfish and using relationship for this? Even if he is, ur H has to understand it by himself. if u tell your H gets offended.

Do you and your co-sis and your kids and their kids are good to each other when u meet personally?
    Don't worry much as u can't change it.

(lot of men think that their side people (cousins, siblings, parents) are the ones take care of him in need etc, and don't understand what wife is saying. but in reality his everyday care (food, health, all other chores and financial help also in most cases) is done by wife, when one gets old also they are dependent on wife and kids only, these people can't and will not come that time)

sindmani and Joyoflife like this.
  8. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Thanks for replying. My own brother is like that he doesn't call so often, but he always call up on my daughters birthday. Here in my husbands case bil only calls up when he needs money and he never calls back to return the money, so money borrowed to bil never comes back. When even husband calls after a month or so to stay in touch, bil takes husband on guilt trips that he should talk more to his boys( bils sons), while he never even bothers to wish his niece ( our daughter) on her birthdays.

My concern was that my husband has been taken for granted by his brother. I started this thread to validate my feelings both positive and negative. These days I am doing all possible efforts to cut the strings of negativity, so I really wanted to clear my mind. whatever it is I will stay out of it. Since I am not dragged into all this, I better mind my own bussiness:coffee

9. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Thanks for replying.:iagree

10. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

That was my concern that my husband is being taken for granted by his brother, but you are right that is something he should learn on his own. I have never had a talk to him about it. From last many months I have decided I will not talk much about his family. He is a very emotional person and he also knows that my feelings are valid, but I feel deep down he knows that if do not call his brother, he may loose touch with him. so I will just let it be. I have learnt to close my eyes now and it brings so much peace.

I share a good relation with my co sis and their kids. She is a westerner and I am the only person she can relate to in the family. My mil tries her best to show both of us that we mean nothing to her. So in all this we have formed a good bond. We do not call each other often, but when ever we meet we enjoy each others company.