1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do your ILs do the same thing?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by iamsrihere, Jul 26, 2015.

1. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Whenever me and DH go out somewhere alone, I have seen that ILs do not talk after we return. They make the talking very minimal. It is sometimes odd because they don't even ask us how the place was or what we did. Atleast FIL makes few conversations regarding our lunch/dinner out, but MIL doesn't even open her mouth.

Initially I found it very strange, but I have gotten used to it, and I too don't open my mouth unless they start a conversation. But I want to know if it only my ILs or everywhere it happens the same way..NO

NOTE: All this no response happens ofcourse only with me,to DH my MIL will go and talk out of her own way. Feel so neglected.

Umanga and generic like this.

2. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Yes, my in-laws did the same...When we used to go out....they used to look offended on our return...my mil used to give me angry stares as if I have committed a crime....those days I used to think that why I feel like a criminal whenever I go out with Dh....same thing used to happen even if we had gone to just 10 mins walk after dinner...
    It's plain jealousy on mil behalf nothing else....don't get impacted....just ignore the tantrum n enjoy....

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Agree with Coolgal.
    They are just being petty. As long as they are not actively interfering in your going-out plans ignore them and enjoy with your hubby.

4. Grihani

Grihani Gold IL'ite

My in-laws, especially FIL gets very upset if we go out together somewhere, not just to a restaurant. He expects us to call them and take them along everywhere.
    He mocks people who eat out, and mostly it is indirect reference to my parents.
    My MIL is quite diplomatic but see it on her face, she deliberately cooks something nice on the day she knows we will go out.

sindmani, Umanga and Joyoflife like this.
  5. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Mine is one step ahead, in the initial years of marriage when ever we came back from shopping or having a dinner out dear mil welcomed us with sad, long, angry and sick face along with her remarks and things like akele akele Chale jate ho ( both of you go by urself) you should spend more time with us and continuosly commenting on how useless my shopping is, how badly I am wasting her sons hard earned money. Fil was nice he would tell mil they are young, let them enjoy why do you get upset.

With time either I have become more shameless or I find these dramas very entertaining. Once when we returned home from shopping, I only had one bag in my hand and mil starts oh these days you never show me what you shop, what have you bought today. I had bought lingerie and I didn't want to show her but the devil in me said come on lets watch some live drama. I said its nothing much you can have a look if you want its some personal stuff. She said Dekhao dekhao ( show me) I showed her and she was shocked to see the prices one bra for 2500 or something. She goes why do you waste so much money and my son works so hard. I answered with an innocent smile uske ke liye he liya hai, usse pasand hai yeh Sab (bought for your son only, he likes all this) . Mil was like:bang.

Once she was like akele akele chale jate ho( both of you go by urself) I replied so want us to take all town with us.

These days the nagging has stopped, but the usual sad and long face is there as if we have committed a crime by going out for dinner, as long as it is only a month in the year, I can live with that.

6. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

thats a good one. The days you do not feel like cooking you can tell your mil that you are planing to have dinner out tonight and you will have the yummy dinner ready without any effort.

cheenu123, shravs3, Dishaa and 7 others like this.
  7. Vasundhra

Vasundhra New IL'ite

laugh1smiley her reaction must have been priceless to watch :biglaughI will keep this in mind for future

1 person likes this.
  8. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

When I was staying with my aunty and uncle ( I don't even like to address them like that), they used to show big faces if I return late from college and go some where. On the day I go with my friends ( which is always for some project / internship work) I will get to see long faces while I return.
    She would be washing all the clothes, busy cleaning the house and doing all non-sense to make neighbors and her husband ( my fathers brother) know how hard she works the whole day. He would sympathize and even start helping her....
    She will show how tired she is and how much she work the whole day while I roam around and return home late....:bang

Umanga and iamsrihere like this.
  9. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Mine kills me to the core and makes me feel ultra guilty.
    So, either I order some food online and send it home during my absence or go out during office hours.
    I am yet to tackle the long irritating face of my MIL. She calls within 15-30 mins of us leaving home as if she remembered something only then..

I am waiting for the feedback of other ILites too..

Umanga likes this.
  10. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

ya the same my il did to me also.. n my momas boy h has completely stopped taking me out because of the silent treatment after we return back..
    i really feel bad coz my h does not want to take me out becoz f that reason..
    really i dont know how to make him understand that going out/spending time alone with his own wife is not a crime..
    whenever i ask him of outing he will bluntly say no...

shravs3 and Neetu2323 like this.