1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL mental tortures

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by rubyg, Jul 7, 2015.

1. rubyg

rubyg New IL'ite

Hi all,

My DH has an elder brother whose wife disrespects my MIL and FIL a lot. They have lots of fights and my co-sis ensures she doesn't cook a single meal. She just gets up late and involves herself with chores such that she doesn't have to cook. Even lunch and dinners she escapes making and feeds her son at her friend's place. She ensures that she doesnt cook. Overall she has no patience to tolerate them and fights with them. My ILs are loud people and they scream and abuse at the drop of a hat. I however come from a very different family where we never screamed and never spoke at high pitches. I stay in Bangalore so when my MIL and FIL come to stay with me I am very respectful towards them and used to cook all meals, even cook new recipes to please them. Though i am working woman i used to come back from work, attend meetings and then cook. My MIL just slept and saw TV throughout day. Througout 6 yrs of marriage my MIL always used to pick instances and poison my hubby's ears by saying that he should have married someone within their Telegu community (i am an anglo-indian), I have forgiven her all that and much more torturing comments/taunts. Recently the complete family went for a vacation. I was sitting besides my MIL when she started bad-mouthing both her DILs to the owner of resort. I was amazed that she had the audacity to badmouth me in front of me. I was so pissed off that i left the place and didnt say any word to her...After we came back to Bangalore and my MIL went back to mumbai. Everyday she is calling DH and telling your wife has not called me...Tell her to call me...she has to give me respect..and then she started crying saying that i will run away i will go missing only then you people will value me...i have forgiven her enough in the past. What i felt bad was my co-sis does nothing for her and i do everything still i get the same bad words that she uses for my co-sis. Then what is the point in doing so much for her. I cant bring myself to make the formality call to do small talk. I feel that if i call her i will lose self-respect in my own eyes. DH says that he will not force me to respect his mother or ask me to call her. She is calling him daily atleast 5 times to tell him that i have not yet called her...i dont want to bow down in front of her ego...what should i do?

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Give the silent treatment for a long time.Let her call you first. If she calls and asks ,tell her what you wrote here.
    Tell her she tried to poison your marriage by talking nonsense to your husband and still you forgave.
    Ask her why she wants to talk to a dil who she bad mouths to strangers?
    Keep her at arms length. Now you know why the co sister acts smart. Some people deserve smart dils.

3 people like this.
  3. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Now u must be knowing the reasons behind ur cosis behaviour...

2 people like this.
  4. darkrosegirl

darkrosegirl Senior IL'ite

Just follow your cosis footsteps. Your mil will never change no matter how much you do for her.

2 people like this.
  5. Indianwomen

Indianwomen Senior IL'ite

Hi,

These kind of people never change. But I have heard people saying that " samay ka maar saabko sikhata hai ". My MIL is kind of same though her son and daughter thinks that she is a pious lady. But I do not listen to all these nonsense, I only speak to her when I wish and not under any pressure. It took me some time to realise that no matter what you do for these kind of people they will never appreciate and bad mouth you. But when they have to get some work done they will stick to you like an Ant. So do what you think is good for you and does not hurt your self respect.

2 people like this.
  6. rubyg

rubyg New IL'ite

Thank you friends for your advice. my MIL keeps saying if she had threatened to eat poison then her sons wouldnt have married out of caste and she wouldnt face all these problems. This.... after all the care we have taken of her.

7. IamLucky

IamLucky Gold IL'ite

Some people think they have sacrificed their son by making them married to their love and expect the girl to be their slave what ever they do. Just follow ur Co-Sis. Then she will automatically come around.

1 person likes this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

OP,
    Ever heard the proverb about empty vessels?
    Let you MIL rave and rant all she wants. Continue to maintain your distance.

1 person likes this.
  9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

OP:
    Your MIL is having a power play with you right now. Do not be the first one to call her under any circumstances or she is going to feel/act superior to you even more.

4 people like this.
  10. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

OP,

The only reason I would call her is to save my husband from the 5 phone calls every day.

If he can manage his mother and wanted you to act per your wish, he wouldn't be telling you about the 5 phone calls.

1 person likes this.