1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In laws and frustration

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by samsWait, May 29, 2015.

1. samsWait

samsWait Silver IL'ite

My in laws are frustrating me.they want me to get ready in a specific way,wear jewellery in a specific manner and so on.I buy clothes and they do not like them.The way I dress how I dress how I should go somewhere if there is work is totally controlled by them. They also buy me stuff and in general are good people but showing off and constant criticism of how I do things is constantly stressing me out.what should I do?my husband is no better.he is a mini version of in laws.i have been very independent before marriage.Now there is no respect for my choices.what should I do?

2. Grihani

Grihani Gold IL'ite

Speak up, tell them politely about your likes and dislikes when it comes to dressing. Be soft in your words but firm.

2 people like this.
  3. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

There is no need to lose your independence after the marriage. Based on your post, it seems your in-laws and husband are otherwise good to you, but however good they are constant criticism will get to you eventually if you don't act now. As Grihani mentioned, be polite and express your desires and how you wish things to be done. Maybe they are unaware of your ideas and may think they know better. Get this across to your husband in a nice way that this constant criticism is making you upset and would like to do things your way, and hopefully he can convey that to his parents also. Take matters into your own hand, for example if you buy a new dress you don't have to show them or seek their approval, just wear it happily. If they say it's not nice, you just say 'but I like it, and it makes me happy'. Don't heed to negative remarks, and if you are strong then they would have no choice but let go. Make them understand that even though you are soft spoken and nice to them, you will stand by your ideas. It is not an easy thing to do- believe me, but it helps in the long run when they start taking decisions for bigger things in life.

3 people like this.
  4. CuteCancer

CuteCancer Silver IL'ite

Hi samsWait,

I am also facing the same situation. I usually ignore their criticisms when it comes to dressing. If it becomes intolerable then I tell them I like wearing what I am wearing.

Usually they reply by saying We just want you to look good because we care about you. I tell them I feel I look good when I wear clothes I like by saying I don't look good in them you are hurting my feelings. After that they leave me alone. Of course after couple of days same scenario repeats.

So explain to them politely but don't expect them to change. If they continue to do it just patiently explain again. Note: No matter what you do don't change your style it will only encourage them to criticism you often

4 people like this.
  5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You need to speak up. talk calmly and pleasantly but be firm. Constantly do what you wish and use stock phrases like I prefer this/ I don't like that/ that is uncomfortable/ I feel better in this/ I prefer wearing clothes I choose/ I dont like other people telling me what to wear....

Do everything to make yourself happy; the rest will fall in place

3 people like this.
  6. samsWait

samsWait Silver IL'ite

When I say everyone has their own interests,they say you need to change now that you are our daughter and we like that you dress up and compares me to everyone,co sis, distant relatives' co-sis some random girl. I hate comparisons and I scream in my mind that they do not have the same life like me but I just smile.:bang

7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Then stop smiling. You send a wrong message when you do that.
    Tell her you don't feel like a daughter when you are not allowed to even wear clothes of your choice.....then move away.Don't give her a chance to justify her demands.
    There is no justifications for controlling others life like this.

3 people like this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Show me one daughter past the age of six who lets her Mom pick out her clothes. I'll change my name! Behave like a daughter does. Say Amma I will wear only this because this is what I like. You can't decide what I wear and add the eye roll too for effect.

8 people like this.
  9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You need to stop trying to reason with them. No generalisations. You talk only about you: "I" don't like this. "I" like this. Do as you please and if you want to gloss it over, simply say "perhaps another day; today I want to wear this." Don't stand there waiting around for them to compare you with others. For when certain people try to compare me, I have perfected a suppressed sneer with a derisive laugh- nostrils flaring and a very suppressed smile on my face, chewing inner cheeks seemingly to stop the smile. I will just stop short of laughing in their face, as though with great difficulty saying my tastes are way different and quickly move away. A couple of doses of this and they've backed off to stop looking like fools.

2 people like this.
  10. samsWait

samsWait Silver IL'ite

They also want me to put my gold that my father bought me in their locker so my pils can easily take out when I visit them and put it back in the locker.they say you are our daughter and we care for you and stuff. I told I do not like that and what is gifted by my dad will stay in my locker but my husband says you are their (pils) daughter and we will take care of your gold.

1 person likes this.