1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life of daughter in laws in rural India.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by yellowmango, May 19, 2015.

1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

UP panchayat gives lashes to 'errant' bahus

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/UP-panchayat-gives-lashes-to-errant-bahus/articleshow/47335334.cms

They can be beaten up,humiliated and then expected to serve the in laws .....

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

@yellowmango thank you for posting about injustice. We all need to know how much volition of basic human rights are happening. The media is doing great otherwise nobody outside the village will even know, they all think it is normal life.

Poverty and more to do with illiteracy. The women in rural villages need to be educated ( basic reading and writing at least, so they can make use of govt. programs, read regional news papers, know what is happening everywhere, and raise their kids with different views).
    then only they know what are basic human rights. The victim says issue is sorted out, even though she was beaten, and still she needs to shut her mouth, can't talk what happened. Otherwise she will be beaten more, her husband will leaver her, she can't go to her parents house because of poverty and they think once married, parents responsibility is over. What is happening to other villagers who are educated, can't they open their mouth to media if not to police.

I read some other incidents where panchayats in villages imposing their own rules and regulations. And they get sold for 1 bottle of alchohol and few hundreds of money. Panchayats are suppose to work with govt. In satyameva jayathe , also I watched this Panchayat issue. Watched a movie also statirtg nasiruddin shah related to panchayats.
    They are against love marraiges, girls using cell phones etc..

2 people like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

This is ridiculous.
    Has the Taliban come to India?
    What is the point of bragging about our progress in IT and economy if basic human rights cannot be guaranteed to women?

5 people like this.
  4. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

When i do come across such articles,i must say,it makes me feel not so proud of being an Indian.How i wish that they have such khub punchayats for giving justice to the daughter in laws who are harassed for dowry,beaten rotten,burnt.It makes me feel so miserable that society has literally gone to the dogs.No not the dogs coz i do feel dogs make much more sense than humans nowadays.They are more loving ,loyal.

Why not only the rural areas of india,even the so called modern cities women suffer this injustice in silence.How i wish ,the society changes and starts recognising women as equal to men.Now thats a wishfull thinking.

3 people like this.
  5. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

Changing the society is an impossible job. Women of all communities, literate or illiterate, should be educated about standing up for themselves .. to stop feeding abusers.

Women in some villages grow up seeing all this and believe that it is the way of life and not abuse.

4 people like this.
  6. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

We come from a country where rapists roam freely and women get beaten just for not making a meal for the goddess mil. I do not know if things will ever change.

4 people like this.
  7. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Its high time we wake up and speak for ourselves.

1 person likes this.
  8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

When we were in college, under national service program, we college students went to a village for 15 days to teach villagers alphabets and give books, planting some trees, cleaning the village and some talking with villagers to send their kids to school.

but whatever we say they just say what we will do with studies, we get daughters married off. They don't understand the importance of education. People have rigid opinions, and don't want to change themselves, just want to go with the flow. Cities are are changing so fast, but poor villagers are there ,where they were 25 or fifty years ago .

9. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Yeah.. The life of women in rural areas is still pathetic. Well...the life of women in cities are no less. What to say.. Literacy and education can alone empower women in the rural areas too...

10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I went by car from Delhi to Anupshahar perhaps ten years ago. Eastern UP is really hard core....I would believe any story out of that area. Honestly, I pity any woman who has to live in that tough environment.

2 people like this.