1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Suggestions to build a positive relationship with MIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by adisum, May 1, 2015.

1. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies.. :hiya

As I am going to get married at the end of next year that is 2016, I was thinking of how can I use this time so that I can adjust with my in laws specially with my MIL after marriage.
    My In laws are Pure North Indian Punjabi Family. But my Parents natives are from Dehradun (Mountains) My would be MIL is not an educated lady. She was born and brought up in a village before her marriage. I have been born and brought up in city only. Even my Mother has never lived in village (though her natives are from village but she has only visited there in her childhood) , So My mother has raised me as per the city rules ( like buying ready made packed wheat , buying ready made bed sheets, quilts etc. )

In my future house, my MIL used to get the (Gehu) Unmashed wheat from her native village and then she used to clean it all by herself doh1before getting it mashed from outside ( thank god she doesn't mash it at home) , She used to do embroidery on bedsheets , quilts , pillow covers at home and I have no Knowledge about it. :eek:mg:(Though my mother also know this art but she has never used it as we never required it to do at home). { These are the chores my would be was talking about that i mentioned in my previous thread in Singles forum}

My would be always try to convince my MIL , not to do these chores at home as these things are easily available in market, but she never listen to him. She don't let my would be DH and FIL buy wheat bread , juice packs , instant food packets. She thinks these all things are not healthy and are money wasting. These all things are common things to buy with monthly grains at my home currently. :-(

There are much more things that are different in my Future and Current home like breakfast options are vast at my house but there my would be DH eats Whole wheat Stuffed Rotis (paranthas) on daily basis.

Also my Mom is a soft spoken lady but my MIL is straight forward sometimes harsh and rude. ( She is very sweet at heart, she used to scold my would be DH if he fights with me or makes fun of me unnecessarily ) Yet because of her harsh and straight forward behavior I fear how would I be able to adjust ? Please suggest something ladies :thankyou2:in advance....

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Be polite and courteous. Do not react. Take your time and respond. Leave her be, as far as her hobbies and way of life aren't imposed upon you. I would suggest that you appreciate her for her efforts but if you don't care to do something, tell her kindly and politely, "I'm not interested in that, mum!" Don't bend over backwards trying to be someone you aren't. At the same time, you could give her hobbies a shot like try a bit of embroidery.

In case of any harsh talk that you feel like reacting to harshly, calmly say, "I'm not used to people speaking like they to me, mum. Let's both calm down first and talk about it." Then walk away. Do it from the very beginning pushing back anger/ disappointment/ tears should they surface. It will get you tons and tons of respect.

Don't put her down. Don't put yourself down or let anyone else put you down. If anyone implies that you haven't been taught how to be a good bahu or whatever, give an amused expression, giggle and say, "how sweetly old fashioned!" And carry on your way without taking offence or justifying yourself. You could utmost state, "I have other strengths; you will begin noticing them." Don't argue or try to prove your point. Within a short while your opinions will matter a lot to them.

make sure you don't complain to your husband but phrase things such that your husband doesn't feel like he has to choose between you two - "mum was a bit upset I'm crap at embroidery. I tried it but I'm just not good enough nor inclined. She should come around." rather than, "how dare your mum talk this way to me."

As far as breakfasts go, tell her you love her paratas but you just can't eat them everyday and would love to make something else for yourself. Make a small batch and let everyone taste it along with their regular stuff. If they like it, you could make a bigger batch next time.

My mil used stone gadgets for grinding stuff herself though there were modern gadgets at home. When I went along she expected me to use the manual ones and ties over extending herself. From the beginning I politely refused to use them and offered consistently to do it with modern gadgets if she needed help. Now over a decade later, those expectations don't linger. However my BIL's wife tied bending over backwards and is quite often stuck with those ways. Also, I never liked their regular breakfast from the time I was little. I tried for a few days and then politely said I just couldn't bear to eat it and had alternatives for me. It was frowned upon but since I wasn't about to back off or insult their choices, they accepted it. All the explanation I need to do things my way is to repeat, "no! I'd prefer it this way." everytime someone tried to argue about me not following everything they did, blindly.

8 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP....you and your mil are extremes. This relationship is difficult even if you both were from the same culture.
    Be respectful but not submissive.
    Have low expectation.....don't expect motherly love.
    Don't do things to please that you will not be able to do over a long period of time.Do what you can.
    Don't try to be a super woman or go over board being a super dil....it is a tiring and self defeating job.
    Expect change in both mil and dh after marriage. If they remain the same towards you....then you consider it a bonus.

2 people like this.
  4. Goodie

Goodie Senior IL'ite

You've got some great advice from Guesshoo. All I would add to this is that the punjabi language can be spoken very sweetly and harshly, depends on the type of punjabi your new family speak, and the tone of the language can sound harsher then it is meant to me. I would also have said that Punjabi's can be much more vocal and frank but then you get that in every culture.

Follow what GH has said it will see you in good stead but also go in with an open mind and arms open. Treat them as your own parents and be open to their way of life, try everything openly before making up your mind about your preferences.

1 person likes this.
  5. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Adisum,

It's nice to know that you are thinking ahead, and want to have a good relationship with in laws just like most of the DIL's do. But honestly I think there is no need to worry about it right away, you said your wedding is end of 2016 right ?? Gosh, that's a year and half from now. What is the hurry now ?? What would come later should be left for later, sorry it's purely my perception. Surely others would share their FB's to you.

I believe relationship with MIL's are tricky...you will learn to handle her with time. Simply put it's like "On the job training" :) . All the best to you.

3 people like this.
  6. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Indeed a great list of suggestions with examples. Really appreciate the time given and effort made by you for this FB... I will try my best to follow your advice @guesshoo.. Thanks a ton mam :hatsoff

Just one more question ( I am sorry if m troubling you) Can a DIL have a frank relationship with her MIL ? I have read a lots of posts on this site in different forums, every DIL is like troubled by her MIL.. Is that the fact or it depends on person to person ?

7. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your FB , Yess its a quiet long time to go... My prospective is to get my mind prepared beforehand so that it wouldn't be stressful when i will be in the situation after a year and half.. Well I take a little more time to accept new things :)

And your "on job training" thing is totally bang on... I can make plans and all but will get to know the exact way of dealing once i will be out of my "honeymoon period of training" :lol:

2 people like this.
  8. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Punjabi is seriously sometime very harsh.. Even if we are talking to a person calmly, he or she will misinterpret it as rude.

But here the situation is I myself speak Punjabi at home and I know when the language is harsh and when calm .. So on that basis i mention that she is sometimes harsh. For example , once I called her in my Lunch break... She picked up the phone at straight away said " Han bol " (Yes tell ) that too in a harsh Punjabi tone . I was stunned to hear the words full of rudeness...

Later I came to know that she was getting wrong number calls from past half an hour and she reacted to that wrong number without noticing that its me on the other side :p

Thanks for your advice of going in with open mind and arms ... Will surely keep this in mind .. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Thanks for posting your fb @yellowmango seems like you are very experienced ...still i want to know how do you come to a conclusion that me and my MIL are extremes ? just wondering :roll:

10. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I am glad you found it useful.

Not every MIL is trouble-causing. There are some fantastic MILs who extend themselves more for their DILs than their daughters just to make the DIL feel welcome. And in several cases, I feel trouble is caused not by the mil but by the expectations / prejudices from both sides.

There is no reason you can't have a frank relationship with your MIL. However to begin with, being a bit mysterious is the best, until you both slowly understand each other - just exactly the same way you would with a stranger. Except of course in this case you can't walk away like you would with a stranger if things don't go to your liking. It is important not to bear grudges or complain about your husband or relatives to her. You never know if your words may be misunderstood. Be politically correct and draw boundaries for yourself. Take everything in your stride. Be polite and pleasant. In time you can figure out how your relationship is heading.

3 people like this.