1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mother and son fight, do not known what to do

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Joyoflife, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

My husband just had a very heated argument with his mom over the phone . He told her she is dead for him and he is dead for her and put the phone down.

its really making me upset. Because I know DH is a very emotional man, all this will stress him very badly. It just kills me to see him under stress.

Reason of the argument my husbands family was very poor. DH is a very hardworking man. He worked very hard and got his parents a decent home in India. My mil is woman who will always do extra favour to her sister and nieces. She has adopted two of her nieces, even though their own family struggled to make ends meet. She put all the financial pressure of these two adopted girls on my husband and bil( husbands elder brother). They got one girl married, gave her good dowry and all that. My husband sends 25000rs every month to his mom. My fil passed away a few years back my husband and bil paid for his medical expenses and all. The house mil lives in is on my husbands name. My mil lives there with another adopted niece. That girl sold the jewellery and eloped with a boy. She returned home after two days. That time my husband said he will not take any responsibility of that girl. But mil still kept her in the house owned by DH.

We also sponsored mils trip to Australia to live with us but she is least intrested. My husband wants her to come here and live with him permanently, but she keeps making excuses. Now she also called the older adopted niece to live with her along with her husband and son. When DH got to know this he got very angry and he said he is tired of paying for all the expenses of relatives. He wil sale the house and bring mil here. Mil started playing the emotional blackmail card of poor old, widow mother.

it might sound confusing, but all this lead to a very big argument in DH and mil. My husband s point is if older adopted girls family starts living in the house which he bought for his mother permanently, it will be very hard to for him to sale the house. He has a point but his mother is not listening.

in spite of doing all this she calls my husband a bad son, who doesn't do anything for his poor old mother. Even though he sends her monthly expenditure, she has a car and a driver on the expense of her younger son and still he is a very bad son for her.

my husband is very heartbroken after this conversation, I do not know how to calm him down. What to say about all this. He just saw the true colours of his mom. But how do I bring him back to normal. Please pour in your thoughts.

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@Joyoflife,
    From what i gather, your hubby has been doing sufficient for his mother and family there. He is right in not wanting to continue the household there, that too with additional niece's family etc. At the same time, your MIL may not want to settle with you in a foreign country - away from her familiar surroundings till she can manage. So, i would suggest let your husband continue to send only the amount he was hitherto sending - and no additional money due to others moving in there. Let him make it very clear that he has no responsibility towards the extended family now.
    It is surprising how your MIL is not seeing the unfairness of such demands on her son. Things will calm down after a time

3. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

thanks for replying. My husband never said no to his moms demands, he is a very nice man. He did a lot for his older brother too. He paid all the family loans all on his own. I had differences with his mom right from the beginning. He always told me that he knows everything but would tell me to be quiet for him as I meet mil twice a year for a few weeks. He always made sure his mum is living a comfortable life. His mom fought with me very badly when I was pregnant. I felt very bad. But I let all this go. Now when she told him he is not a good son and he never did anything for him really broke his heart. I hate to see him like this. I do not know what should I do. Should I try to patch things up in mother and son or just let time heal everything. I am just clueless. Some mothers are really heartless. She accuses him that he abandoned his mom in India but when he tells her join us here then she starts making excuses. He came overseas long time back, got his families expenses on line, made his career, keeping me and my child very comfortable and this is how his mom is rewarding him.

4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Your MIL seems to have a big heart. She has adopted two children and for her (and legally) they are her children and in same position and your DH and BIL. It is understandable that she do not want to move to a foreign land in that phase of life. Giving up her friends/relatives, moving to a place with strange culture, no festivals, temples, weird food etc.

Is the couple (that are moving in with her, the other niece) working and they can provide for themselves? In a way it is actually a good deal. There is someone to take care of your MIL and she does not have to live alone. The cost would not increase (your DH would send the monthly amount). Later down the road when your mother passes away the property is still on your DH:s name. (Yes, maybe some hassle to get the property sold if the niece living with the family there).

Helping someone financially does not mean that you get the power over them. Even if your DH pays for your mothers living he cannot dictate where she is living.

Regarding the young girl eloping. What else can a mother do than accept her back?

1 person likes this.
  5. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

i actually wish she had a big heart. Because my mils generosity is only limited to these two girls. When I was pregnant she never even called me once to congratulate or anything. The day my daughter was born she actually mourned that oh god why a girl child. When she called me to congratulate she asked why I did not follow the Chinese calendar ?

that couple is not working, my husband spent a lot for that couple to make them independent but of no use.

when my mil brought home the second girl, my husband warned her a lot that in this age it will be hard for her to look after a teenager. He said if she wants to help they can pay for her education provided she stays with her own family.

Acc to my husband if that couple starts living with mil, it will be very hard to make them move out after x no. Of years because they are already acting as big leeches. He does not want to fight those legally battles.

my husband has done a lot more then needed for his family and relatives and still he is being called a very bad son. These are the words by his own mother which left him shattered.

He Is not that kind of a person who would show any power over some one. I was totally against his family dynamics. But his gentle hear made me accept him the way he is.

Iam least bothered about the house or anything. Because I beleive in him and his caliber, I iknow he will keep us comfortable always. its just that I hate to see him shattered. I do not know if I should try to patch things up in him and his mother or just leave it on time.

2 people like this.
  6. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Is the adoption happened when ur FIL was alive? Why your MIL adopted them? As they lost their mother? or she wanted to keep them and raise them? Was it legal adoption or by word of mouth? be it legal or word of mouth, they will become her daughters. And you husband's sisters.

Is your husband thinks and treats them as own sisters? or as outsiders?
    Your hubby wants to give comfort to ur MIL, but your MIL feels she can't retire from duties as mother, still she has responsibility towards her daughters.

I think Mother and son will patch up soon, as they are in disagreement with things they fought. They will be fine, and U don't have to do anything I feel.

7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Probably best to let your dh vent and talk. When feelings on both side have cooled down the relationship can the be patched. Maybe your dh could consult a lawyer regarding the difficulties regarding the house.

It is quite unrealistic to expect elderly parents to give up their lives and move abroad.

8. Denni

Denni Gold IL'ite

Dear Op,

Your husband has been more than generous to his mother and his relatives. He is not responsible for all her adoptive nieces and their husbands and it is not fair to your husband. Your husband must give her the ultimatum; she should sell the house and move to Australia or loose the financial support! Lets see if her adoptive niece and husband would support her....

Why is she being so kind to a relative rather than her own kids and DIL? I kind of feel pity for your hubby. She willingly uses her son to make others around her happy and secure!

I hope you change your mind about your hubby's house. He must have bought the house with his hard earned money and for the purpose of giving comfortable life to your MIL. No doubt your hubby can provide for your family and the house may mean less now. But think about it, what if your MIL passes away. There maybe tussle over the property. Don't give up anything that belongs to you so easily.

My advice would be , Stop all the financial assistance to the relatives! Why cant they find their own way? Your husband should be concentrating on his own family as both of you have a daughter and the family will grow in the future! Who would help you if you are in trouble or financial difficulty?

1 person likes this.
  9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

It must be upsetting for him but you don't try to patch things up. It will only put you in the middle of it; and have everyone venting their frustrations on you. Hold him, reassure him that his call was right; say that you hope his mum would understand at some point. Be there for him. Give him plenty of attention and affection so that he knows he has you on his side. Don't say anything offensive about his mum though. Just keep saying that you hope she understands him someday.

4 people like this.
  10. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@Joyoflife,
    it seems to me - you are the one having a real good heart and putting up with all this for the sake of your husband. Your husband having your support and trust itself is enough to keep him from getting stressed out. When a mother cannot understand her own son and what he is doing for her, it is doubtful whether you will be able to bring about any harmony. I feel it is better to just wait it out - unless matters are brought head on from your MIL"s side.

1 person likes this.