1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

HELP ME..Newly married- dealing with inlaws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Tejo2292, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Tejo2292

Tejo2292 New IL'ite

hi friends,
    i am tejo. i am new to this indusladies. i saw many posts here and many discussions here. i thought to reply for many discussions but what attracted me the most is this MIL thread. because this is the current issue in my life that i am facing. i am actually so confused on how to deal with my in-laws and also my husband. i dunno why but i fell like my mil dont like me. my fil is no less. He has a commanding mentality and says that everyone should listen to him and do as he says. infact my mil has no word in the house. whatever my fil says only that will take place. But my mil instead of being soft she wants to command me. my husband loves his mom so much and whenever i say something about her to him he gets angry on me. i am not understanding how to deal with them and him.
    can anyone plz help me with this. how should i behave with my inlaws. how can i make my husband trust me...

thanks
    -tejo

2. mcutiepie

mcutiepie Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

Dear OP,

Since you are newly wed and new to these ILs issues. Few tips:

1) For few months, try to be patient and understand every one. Don't say anything bad to any one and just judge the nature of everyone.

2) ILs rarely like DIL especially MILs. For them, we are a competitor. So just make sure to have a good formal relationship with them. Laterly depending upon how it goes, you can decide on level of interaction.

2) Dont try to be a superwoman from begining. Do only that much which you think you can continue doing.This doesnot mean you dont do anything. Do but dont overdo.

3) Never ever say wrong about your MIL to your DH. This will never bring him closer to you. Most of us do the same mistake but no one can listen bad about their parents. Rather even if it is tough, you will appreciate any good part of your MIL in front of your DH, he will feel good about you. You cannot win your DH in few days. It is a time consuming process and need smart work. Take good care of him, build good intimacy and understanding between both of you. Never let any issue with ILs become a reason of fight between you too. Keep IL issues and husband seperate.Even if at times you need to discuss with DH the issues with ILs, make sure you do this politely without using bad words.

4)MIL commanding over you: This is something most of MILs try to do. Slowly you will learn how to deal with her. Decide few rules/boundaries for yourself which you can bear or not depending upon circumstances at your home and then act. Whatever you think is not bearable by you, you can politely raise your voice. Also you will have to learn ignoring her doings. Many of things only need to be ignored. the sooner you learn this, easier it will be.

All d best!!!

2 people like this.
  3. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Take it easy, don't think too much. Try to have patience and strengthen the bond with your husband. With time, things will settle down hopefully

2 people like this.
  4. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,

as a new DIL you should learn some tactics to handle your life at In-laws place. in this forum there are ladies who tells various ways...like be patient & be good & do good...so on....some time it works.. but most of times it make us feel irritate.

remember some pints.
    1. You dont have any close relationship with your husband compare to his relationship with his parents. so dont tell/ complaint/ sowing dissatisfaction/ disinterest/irritating mood on in-laws in front of DH. he is expecting good DIL from you to that house. act like that only in front of him. It improves love on you. he cant think in that way, their parents should good In-laws.

2. Dont do over work at home. do light weighted works only like chapping vegetable... arranging cloths..cleaning works. once you try to do over work..they will depend on you totally. so instead of getting honor, you will get burden in future.

3. if you are home maker...try to get job. so u can escape from in-laws at least for some time.

4. Dont tempt/ irritate...in any case. act as you are positive to all their actions. leave / ignore most of things at home as it their decision.

5. If they pin point any of your personals...like dressing...eating...sleeping...chatting...so on...then tell them it is your comfort. u will feel discomfort in way they want. leave room. let them blabber what they want...just be deaf instead of concentrating.

6. dont expect from them/ dont try to satisfy their expectations. be neutral. after some time you will able to manage those characters.

7. If FIL is dominating...let him. just imagine if it is your father...will you think like that. even though father commands, we will adjust our mind for him because he is your father. think in same way in case of FIL.

8. dont loose self confidence & trust your self...what u did is right instead of thinking other's way. If any one point out, support your self & your actions even though your DH oppose you.

3 people like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

While the poor wife has to walk through fire to win her husband's heart....what exactly does the man do to win his wife's heart in a joint family?

No wonder they want to live in joint family.

It looks like the guy gets a cattle home for mother to milk rather than a life partner.
    If the wife doesn't perform to mommy's expectations and complains...he can say....hudd..hudd and give her the verbal stick.

4 people like this.
  6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Now bonding with ur dh is more important. Dont worry . Every thing will be alright

7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP

You problems are what most of the women suffer...
    Unless you are one of those luckiest, rarest women,
    most MILs do not like and never like their DILs no matter what you do. Fighting or replying back is going to worsen the situation between you and H. Normally H do not like hearing anything bad about THEIR anything - parents, relatives, bank balance even if you speak truth.Normal human behaviour..

MILs can not control their Hs so they think of DILs as their prey.. they have to get it out on someone and DILs are most vulnerable.

I think slowly you will learn on your own...You should try to take MIL in confidence. There might be more conflicts coming -house keeping, kitchen cooking, dressing up ...eating out...

Ultimate fact is: we can not cut them off..they are going to be your ILs and H's parents. You will have to devise a way to live with harmony. H will not do anything. ILs are difficult to change at this old age plus external influence from relatives.

Do not bend and bow on everything..

1 person likes this.
  8. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

This is the harsh reality.. .i never understood how can woman love a man who cant protect her against abuse in his own home.....rather he becomes the silent observer and expects tht none will trouble him by complaining...
    Is this what indian woman marry for....for keeping a fake face infront of her husband.....devising new techniques for handling the abuse....
    man will be like this till the time woman
    will keep trying on winning their heart irrespect of whther they deserve or not....

In in laws problem i feel husband is bigger culprit by being silent observer as he owes more to his wife than in laws.....but wht we woman do.....put all the blame on inlaws and try to procure the love of dh....
    Billiyo ki ladai mein bandar ka faida....

7 people like this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Forget about love...how do you have any respect for a man who refuses to ,or is too spineless to protect his wife ,in his own house,from his own mother/parents.

2 people like this.
  10. Tejo2292

Tejo2292 New IL'ite

hi all,
    i read all ur comments. some said to be deaf to in-laws and to be good infront of H. but its been an year now and i m staying away from them in us with my H. he is always so nice and understanding in everything except the matter related to their parents. whenever we sit and do video call with them, they always say something or the other to me infront of him. but he will be silent and instead if i say something to him later regarding their behaviour he is behave like they never did that and i am saying lies. i dont get it, everything happens infront of him but he behaves as if he dint see and dint hear. even when we used to stay with my i-laws back in india he used to be same like this.
    Reesha, you told me to think my fil as my father,if he dominates. but my father never is comanding or dominating. he never ordered me or my mother. he is so sweet and he loves me as his princess. he is never rude to me or my mother. i came from such a modern family where my mother or my father never told me what to do and what not to. they always let me make my desions, let me be on my own, the dress i wear and the things i do. they always guided me from behind but never ordered me and my brother is my saviour.
    but my H family is completly different they are so old minded and so dominating.
    my fil is telling me what to wear and what not to.... it irritates me i feel like dont he have any common sense and dont he know how to talk to a girl!! my dad never talked to me about such things its always my mother who told me. but here my fil observes everything i do. i feel so unconfortable around him. i feel like i should wear a burka.
    but my H is good. he behaves so well and he is so good to me. after we came to us i feel like i got freedom. yet everyday we need to call they or else they will get angry. my mil calls us and say to my H that his father got angry becoz we dint call him for 2 days and my H starts persuding him. i dont understand why should we persuade him? if we dont call for a day or 2 it means we are busy. we have our own lives cant we spend time with each other. why is it a must to call they every night before we sleep? and again another complain that i m calling my mom more times than my mil.
    uff...i fed up with them...i feel like i did a wrong thing marrying. i am good as single.

thanks to all for ur comments. but i am still confused. why should i impress them?

thank u,