1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Would you go ? Please advice what I should do

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Nubee, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Nubee

Nubee Senior IL'ite

Hi IL's,

Hope you are doing well. I wanted to share my worries and seek your advice on what I should be doing.
    Here's the scenario:

I live in the US with my husband and 2 kids. Life since my marriage was awful. Since day 1 of my wedding my In Laws created hell in my life. Long story short, its been 10 years now and the wounds they have made has still not healed. They were never happy for us in any of our happy moments (like having kids, buying a house etc and were never there for us when we needed somebies help like undergoing a surgery etc). My husband and I have handled everything all by ourselves in the US. They have 3 sons and my hubby the eldest. They gave emotional troubles to my hubby and me and are extremely nice and generous to the other 2 sons and 2nd DIL. They all live in India.
    My hubby's last, 3rd brother is getting married. They all want us to go for this wedding. My IL's especially my MIL has become sooooo sweet all of a sudden with me and my hubby. Since last 10 years she has only created problems and talked ill about me and my husband. She even spoiled our name in front of all the relatives by telling all lies about us. Now she is talking to me so nice and acts like she cares for me. The only reason being that they want us to attend the wedding. They did the wedding of the 2nd son without us and now since people will talk ill about them if we do not go, they want us to be present for the wedding else people will ask where are your older son and DIL and kids.

My situation in the US is, I have one 7 year old child and my 2nd one is almost 2 years old and will be 2.5 years old during the wedding. I have never been to india since last 7 years. It will be the 1st time for my kids. My 2nd one is especially very troublesome with food and other things. Its been so many years since we went to India, so if we go this time we will have travles to many God Places/Temples which are in other cities, his wedding is in another city. So totally it will be a lot of travel.
    My side family betrayed us with our money and broke our trust. My mom created rifts amongst us sibling and made me look like I am the bad person and created fights among us siblings by telling them lies about me. The reason she did this was because she thinks I am in US so I have lots of money and that I should be not given any property (I never asked for any property in the 1st place. I am a very self doing person and do not expect anything from others.) We have distanced my side people since they were ruining our peace of mind.

So most of our stay in india will be in Hotels. I am getting worried if the kids will take in so much hotel stay, food adjustment from hotels, so much travel to different places etc? I am specially concerned with my little one who will be 2.5 years old.
    Also, a little background on the impact I've had mentally and emotionally due to all the happenings from my side family and my husbands side family. I have suffered immensely in the last 10 years due to all the happenings from India or rather hurt given by both side people. I even lost my job becasue I was unable to control my emotions and I had a very bad boss just like my MIL. Since I had so much baggage emotionally and mentally I was unable to handle my boss who was so political.
    Since then life has been without a career. Now I am trying hard to get back to work. After several such losses and events, my husband and I decided that we will distance ourselves from both side family since they are only giving us pains and worries which is affecting out normal life. I would even take the anger out on kids.

After distancing them, our life was a little peaceful. Now due to the wedding they are calling us and trying to be nice. I am worried to go to the wedding for so many reasons. Can even accommodate the kids discomfort and travel part, but I am thinking is it even worth it to make this trip when we are not getting anything out of it just mere discomfort. Is it worth to put the kids undergo so much trouble ? When we wanted people's help nobody was there for us is it fair for us to go there for the wedding ?
    Should we just follow their path and do what they did. Do things at our comfort level. Go to india when it is comfortable for us. So we and the kids can enjoy the journey.
    My other biggest worry is - Wedding are very stressfull as it is, what if these people or all their relatives say something bad which will hurt me ? What if I again get into the emotional distress and start loosing myself ? It will hurt my kids upbringing, my personal life etc. Should I walk the path again or be around the people who have hurt you so much all the last 10 years ?

Please advice on what you think is the right thing for me to do. Your suggestions/advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 person likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nubee, welcome to IL. Sorry to read the description in your post. Must be tough when both sides family is like this. Most of all, sad that directly or indirectly due to it, you lost your job.

From your post, doesn't look like time has done its healing job. Going would open the wounds again. I suggest a mid-way option - just your husband goes. If he doesn't, and God forbid, either of your in-laws pass away before you guys visit India, he will carry a certain guilt for ever. That guilt will co-exist along with and in spite of the knowledge of what all wrong they did.

Think of some 'suitable' reason why you and kids cannot go. Or, you can just not give any reason also.

Travel with 2.5 year old, in a household that is not exactly welcoming, and so much within India travel... and you are not so keen to meet your family also.. so overall not worth it. Tickets are also not cheap!

3 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...you both take a call.If he is double minded...then let him go....otherwise if both of you feel it is not worth it...then send your blessings from far.

2 people like this.
  4. Nubee

Nubee Senior IL'ite

Hi Rihana and yellomango,

First of all I am so sorry for the late response. Thank you so much for replying to my post. Appreciate it.

To answer some of your Q's - My hubby is not very close to his parents or his siblings becuase they have kept that kind of a relationship with him. My hubby is a god like person. Recently he went to India after 10 years and his parents were not even happy and did not even tell any of his relatives he is coming to India.
    They are asking us to keep the wedding date coz they want our presence. But they are setting the dates as per their convenince.

At first when my hubby and I talked about it, he said "if we do not go for this wedding then we will have no body at all to be called as relatives". We talked over it and what all bad they had done to us and how in out times of need they never asked us or were never nice to us. All of a sudden only due to the wedding they have turned out to be extrememly nice to us. So we talked, when they have never done anything for us or cared for us then what is the need to take so much trouble and put the kids in so much trouble and visit india when there is so much travel required.
    After discussing this, we thought it would be best if we give some reasons and not go now but visit India when our kids are older and can handle the travel, in 2017.

I keep thinking, we will know nobody in the guets in the wedding. So many rifts have happend all these years. Will we be comfortable in the wedding ? For my kids they will all be starngers, I don't think my younger child will even go to anyone. So it will be my hubby and me handling all our kids needs and performing rituals in the wedding. Seems very stressful to me.

And right now I am applying for jobs and looking to go back to work. Like I mentioned before in my post, I lost my job earlier due to all the emotional turmoil I had in my head due to the issues IL's created. My hubby's brothers and their wives are all doing well, I hurt my career in this mess. My IL's never say a word against my Co-sister who never even goes to my IL's house. My MIL stays with her and takes cares and baby sits her baby. Every day I pray to GOD to forgive me for putting these people so much into my head and help me re-start my career. I am worried if at this point when I am so hurt and looking for a job, it would be good to go there and be with these people.

But when I think about my kids, I get worried what if the family they marry into ask them about their relatives in India. My side family to gone and his side family barely hanging. When I think of all the emotional trouble it is to be with these people, I feel it is best I stay away from them until I raise my kids to become good human beings and until they stand on their feet and get married. Once that is done, my responsibility will be over and I will have raised them well without any distractions.

Too confused some times on what to do. Head says "Don't Go". Heart says " What if" "What about future, for kids, etc"

Thank You for reading my post.

5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

If you are ever planning to go to india , I think wedding is best time to go. There will be lots of people and things will be busy. Your kids will learn something about culture. You can keep it brief if you want and go to any other place within india or outside for vacation after the wedding.

if you don't go now, who will you visit during your india trip when your kids are older in 2017 .?wont the scenario be much worse.? Will this hurt go away or will have same reasons then too? Either decide now for all the practical purposes you do not have anyone in your life or make a last effort.

6. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

OP,

You should go only if you can handle it. Your life and your kids are the top priority now. Go get the job you want. Bring up your kids well. Don't worry about ILs expectations and what people will say. By the time your kids are grown up, things will change a lot.

What good are your relatives now? Do they help? Are they nice to you? You don't have any obligation to go. Let your husband go, if he wants. Discuss it calmly with him, that your priority is your job now, and you can not go, as you don't want past events repeating and affecting you again.

7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I would go as it is not your MILS wedding, it is your hubbys brothers wedding. It would also be important for your children to meet their relatives and see the country/culture. Plan carefully that you do not have to interact too much with your inlaws, select good hotels and so that you can independently go to your hotel if you feel for it. Not much jumping from one place to another. Try to have a "base" and then short visit from there (if possible). Kids love to stay in hotels but do not like to be in different place every day. My kids react if too much people and fuss so plan in some quiet time in your room (or other calm place) with books, toys and rest.

I have traveled with smaller kids and also now a couple of time to India (but then the kids were a little bit older than your youngest one). The biggest risk is to get stomach bug/diarrhea. Focus on hand washing, keeping sanitizer/wipes handy especially for the younger one. Kids can survive for a couple of weeks eating rice, plain rotis, fresh fruits.

Think of it as a small revenge ;). You arrive to the wedding reception in your gorgeous saree/dress and fully armed with jewellery, hair in some stylish western setup, head held so high that your nose touch the ceiling, kids nicely dressed (and fully fed so they can behave at least for an hour).

1 person likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nubee, I am throwing another question into the confusion. Have you guys ever thought about writing a will? Who to put as guardian of kids, and who to make in-charge of finances?

If not already taken care of this, now is a good time to do so, before you get back to working. When you sit down to do this, and go through the checklist of questions attorney or website provides, many things will become clearer. Choices and possibilities and constraints reveal themselves.

Your "what about the future" prompted the above.

1 person likes this.
  9. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Can understand your dilemma. Since both of you are not interested I advise that either your hubby can go alone or else no one. You have make up any story for yourself and your kids not going. Coming to question to of "what if", no one knows the answer for that question for each one's life. Reading your life so far, I am sure that you and yr hubby alone are the only people responsible for your kids and family. No one from your families are going to be by your side in case of adverse happenings to your life. I am very sure that the things are not going to change for you just because you are going to attend your BIL's wedding. The reality is that the in laws want your hubby to be around for the sake of the relatives which you are aware. So to presume that they will be around as relatives in case of untoward incidences is utterly not going to happen. I am also in the same boat, and I am fully aware that I have no friends or relatives who are going to help me with my family. Regarding your job, try again, just because you had a bad boss previously does not mean u would get another one like that. So try to find any kind of job to get moral boost for you to begin ur career again. My hubby comes from a big family, my reason to get married to him was because of that, I had been longing to have great extended family before marriage( I have very few relatives from my parents side). My in laws portrayed themselves as vvv nice people before marriage, and their true colours were revealed after marriage. Now there is zero help from them and in addition they had given the added bonus of emotional /physical problems to me. So I have made myself clear that in this janma I am destined to live a life without relatives.
    So you have to decide whether it is worthwhile to spend so much money to go to India. I do like visiting temples and that is part of the reason for me to go to India. If you are like that you could make sure that the visit is more for pleasure and make the time spent with in laws as little as possible, say just for marriage day etc. Otherwise as I wrote earlier either your hubby can go and u can stay back. But do not go India for "what if" reason, you will probably have negative results for that.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nubee

Nubee Senior IL'ite

Thank you so much to all of you for taking your time to respond to my post. I appreciate all your replies and suggestions from the bottom of my heart. I am in tears right now after having read your posts. It means so much to get such a support and to know that there are people out there who can understand me and what I have been through.
    All these years, I never opened up myself to anyone about anything that has happened. I was scared that people will think I am a bad person since I do not have any of my relatives from either side of the Families. But today, I feel the weight off of me. I feel like I belong and there are people who have faced similar things like I have.
    Although the happenings were very unfortunate, it feels great to know that there are still people out there who truly care. I thank you all of you for lifting my spirits high.

NB25 – Every word you have stated makes sense and is so practical. You are right, my kids and my husband are my top priority. All my energy and focus should be around them and to find my new job. If I do my job well in raising them and they stand firm on their feet in life, then it will not matter is they have their extended family or not. And like you said, when they grow up things will certainly be different.
    And your right, I do not have any obligation towards anyone and neither do I owe anything to anyone in India. I have already done all my duties toward my side family and have always been good to my IL’s regardless how they were. Now its time for me to Move on and make the rest of my life and my kids life more peaceful, happy and successful.
    And, I promise you, I will get my JOB. When God is for me, who can be against me.

Crayoness – I totally agree with you. Now or later whenever I go to India, I should with my head held high. There is no reason for me to ever feel low. Since I have always done the right things in the eyes of God.

Videhi – Thank you so much for sharing your own experience here. The decisions that you have made for your life will help me make mine. You are very right – By merely going to the wedding there is no guarantee that anything will change or work toward our advantage in future. Yeah, visiting God’s places is our top priority when we go to India. Like you suggested, going when the kids can enjoy the trip too is most important.
    Thank you so much for boosting my morale. I will get my next job and this time since I am freeing my self of all my past, I am sure I will progress and succeed in my career and like you said, I am sure God will surely give me an amazing BOSS this time!

Friends, if it were not for your posts, I would not have felt so relievd and confident like I am feeling right now. I had all these in my mind and heart, but I had become confident less to stand FIRM for what I believe was true. I was thinking way too much about Future, how it will affect kids etc. But the important thing is, because of future if I spoil my present then I will be responsible for what happens in Future for me or my kids. Future is uncertain but atleast I can do right things now to atleast ensure a good future for my kids. Raising them well, getting them well educated and getting them married into a good family and husband is very important for me. And along with that dream, taking care of my and my husband health is very vital too. If I keep getting involved in these thoughts then I will jeopardize everything.
    They say a true test of a person is during bad times. My side people or my IL’s never were there during my time of need what will they ever be in future.

My husband and I talked about this today again. This is what my Husband said “ Right now, it is not right for us to travel to India since our 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] child is not old enough to handle so much travel. Even if we take aside all the reasons of what all bad they have done to us, if we think about our kids, we should go to India only when it is comfortable for them and for us”.

I wanted to ensure I did not make any wrong decision, so analyzed from all angles, and with all your suggestions, we have come to this decision.

Rihana – Your suggestion about making a Will opened up my thoughts into various directions about future. I did a little research about such wills and read an article on “Babycenter” website about wills and making “Gaurdians” for our kids. In our situation, it would not be best for us to make any person from India as Gaurdians for them. The website also suggested that we make people who are living close by to where we live as Guardians for the kids. I was willing to know a little more on what you were trying to refer or point me toward when you suggested about making a will. I would appreciate if you could elaborate a little more and suggest.
    Also, please let me know of any other websites which you prefer to learn more about wills and to make one.

Once again, I appreciate every one of you for taking your time to respond to my post and for your valuable suggestions. Thank you for making me feel so good and confident and to realize to stay FIRM for my Family.
    Appreciate it!

2 people like this.