1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hiding about IVF treatment

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ILUser07, Apr 2, 2015.

1. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Not sure if this is the right forum. Admins, Plz move as appropriate.

After trying various medicines for low sperm count and motility for 3 years, I conceived through IVF.

We wanted to keep the information about treatment private. So we didn't tell our parents/friends about this.

It is majorly my decision to keep it to ourself as my MIL and SILs are very creepy and gossiping in nature. Though the problem is with their son, it wont matter to them. They just want some news to gossip about. I remember last time when we visited India, my MIL was telling us about their relative's daughter that "they stayed in the city for 6 months and soon after they announced that she is pregnant. It surely must be a test tube baby."

Those comments really hurt me as I didn't want to tag my baby like that. That is the main reason, I chose to take the treatment in US rather in India and also wanted to keep it to our self.

Now, as we announced to my in-laws that I conceived, the first question my MIL asked is, is it normal or due to some treatment? My husband is furious over them and asked her to shut the curious mind. But still whenever we talk to her, she somehow wants to know about it and is framing the questions in all possible ways.

My husband can't tell lies and is just shouting at them whenever they bring this up. I am so disturbed to hear all the shoutings. Not sure how to handle this. I dont understand why this lady is so curious knowing that it is hurting her own son.

2. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

Could it be that your Mil knows hers son' issue? Or at some point it was leaked to her? Anyways thats not important. She is rude. May be to be nice to her and keep her speculation to a side, next time may be you can let her know that you both have been doing some Pooja per suggestion of some priest about kids and you are very much happy that your prayers have been answered. You can clarify that you couldn't let her know earlier as you were not sure if it would work. You can add that next time when she visits you, you would be more than happy to take her to the temple. If she asks why her son is getting mad if she asks about this, you can further clarify that this was undertaken by you and he doesn't believe such poojas.

Please don't worry anymore. Congratulations and take your mind off these sorta people.

PS, hope you or your H are not atheists.

3. ChrisColin

ChrisColin Junior IL'ite

Dear friend,
    First of all Congrates. Be happy. Forget about this lady. Next time if she ask then say, "it is as per normal way only ma. Why are you asking this much time and i hope u understand what is mean by normal way. He is shouting coz you are asking this now 10th time and how many times do you want us to repeat the same. Are SIL/Co-sister gone through IVF recently??? " then smile at her and leave the place.
    Be happy. This is the time to enjoy and may god bless u and ur baby with good health and wealth. CHERRS :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Marzipan

Marzipan Gold IL'ite

Congratulations on your pregnancy! There is something not quite right about your mother-in-law asking the same question again and again. No mother would ask such a question the first thing when she hears she is going to become a grandmother. As hope2b said, maybe she knows or senses this. Your husband shouting at her everytime she brings up the topic is probably telling her that she is right. I think you need to limit your communication with your MIL (both of you) for the time being, since this is disturbing the peace in your life. This is a time you should be focusing on your health and well-being. Hope you have smooth pregnancy and delivery! Best of luck!

5. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations! Reply to her that do you really want to know the details? Smile and hug your DH while you reply :D

6. catwalk

catwalk Gold IL'ite

Congratulations.

In my opinion, you don't need to tell about your treatment to anyone. Please tell DH strictly not to tell about the treatment to anyone. It is not giving any additional value.

Limit conversations which gives you NEGATIVE effect. Instead of shouting, your DH can reply to MIL that he had ''bought'' it from Walmart on discount sale.

3 people like this.
  7. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, Congrats on your pregnancy. Forget your MIL. The important thing is you conceived. You and your hubby shud be happy about this. Your MIL some how wants to get the juicy part of your pregnancy hence the frequent asking.If she was a doting mother wud have been happy with becoming grandma soon.

Its your decision to keep this a secret please continue to do so. Don't come into I am your mom please tell me. Next thing you know you will hear a different story about your pregnancy from relatives. Emotional blackmail to know things and promises will be there.Such things never last. Now its worse with in laws and family members. Everybody wants to be one up to another. Not worth it. Tell your hubby that it will be good to keep this fact a secret.Good Luck.

8. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

I am sorry, but it is none of anyone else's business, including your MILs, to ask how the baby was conceived. I mean, this is highly personal, and sorry if this sounds crude, but to me it is the same as asking graphic details of what happened behind the bedroom doors! What does it matter to her as to how the baby was conceived? Treatment or no treatment, that is between the husband and wife. At the end of the day, it is going to be her grandchild and would she have the gall to tag him/her after 25 years as a "test tube baby?"

If she asks again just ask her in a stern voice as to how it matters to her.

9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Congrats Op on your pregnancy.
    Next time she asks...tell her you conceived the baby exactly the way she conceived hers.
    If she still continues.....tell her next time ,you will invite her to the bedroom and you will try to show her .
    What a nosy irritating woman.
    If she doesn't stop...then a few months of not talking would be just punishment for her.

5 people like this.
  10. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

OP,

Tell your husband not to react to her questions. Instead, you can handle it calmly. Ask her MIL are you not happy? Why are you asking such questions? Try to suppress a smile, as if you think she is asking silly things. Or, just say some thing like - MIL, I think you are watching too much sci-fi these days, and suspecting test tube babies running around every where. Then turn the conversation to latest sci-fi movies, and other stuff. Or, you can say MIL, you are soo innocent. Don't you know you should not ask a couple how they conceived their baby? Use a shy and naughty voice here.

Maintain a sense of humour. You and DH know she is being ridiculous and nosy. Make her feel she is being that way, with your funny responses. Think of it like a game, and you and DH come up with all sort of funny responses, and have fun.

As for the future, try not to depend on her for taking care of your baby. Both of you should limit your interactions with her, without telling her directly, that you are angry. You will have lots of excuses like feeling unwell during pregnancy, DH busy with work, taking care of baby. Talk less but cheerfully when you do.

Don't call her to your home to take care of you or baby. If she comes, joke - MIL did you come to check if it is test tube baby? Keep her away from your doctors appointments.

Enjoy your pregnancy!

1 person likes this.