1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to handle favouritism/Comparison : co-sis favoured by MIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Me1, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Me1

Me1 Silver IL'ite

Hi ILites,

First of all I would like to thank you all. Because after joining this community my perspective in married life has changed drastically. I have learnt to control my anger, handle situations and still on the way to learning managing relations.:thankyou2:

The thing that is bothering me right now is my co-sis and MIL.

DH are two brothers. Elder one was married to a girl of MIL's choice. Decent gifts were gifted to them on marriage or read it this way-Bride's father gave various things to his daughter like TV, Car, Bed, Stereo etc etc etc.

Mine was a love marriage and I was against such "gifts" so did not brought much however I am working lady so earn monthly for them.

Obviously co-sis is favoured by her.btt

As both brothers dont have much age gap MIL started saying to both (me and co-sis) to try to conceive(TTC)

I said my MIL that as co-sis is elder she should opt first. She said no let God give any of you his love.

And by God's grace I conceived first. MIL visited in my first trimester.(She used to stay away that time)In my first trimester due to morning sickness I used to find it difficult to stand in kitchen and work, however did my level best so that my co-sis don't have to work alone. My MIL created issue out of this and called everyone to sit around and told me that it is not illness so do keep working. To conceive is not a big deal. Tomorrow ur co-sis will conceive too.. and went on saying blah blah blah.

And in whole pregency she used to talk on phone and say " Delivery will be done here"(She used to live in a town whereas we live in a city where there are latest technology and good doctors. I used to keep crying on this, DH was also after his mumma. My health went worse and was suggested not to travel so MIL had to give up.

When the time for delivery came she again visited us. Due to bad health I already had taken leaves from office. She made sure that I keep on working by setting different almirahs daily. She herself used to sit and instruct me to do things her way. Her mantra was More physical work will lead you to a normal delivery.:bangAgain, despite of doing so much physical work I had an c-section. I will admit she cared for me a lot for next one month and when I was off the bed I again started doing things the way I used to do before getting pregnent.

It's been almost 2.5 years since my MIL said me its easy to conceive.

My co-sis is still TTC. Many checkups have been done.Some issues have been figured.

My MIL cares for co-sis a lot. She should eat well she should drink well she should rest so that she can conceive. Whereas I was asked to work even in pregnency.

I am afraid the moment she will conceive she will make her sit on bed and make me run around the house.:drowning

I am fed of this favouritism. Need suggestions to handle this as well. Her statements keep echoing in my mind. How to keep them away.

Also, she keeps on comparing me with her in household chores. She do things better as she lived at home whereas I stayed at hostel to study. Although I have learnt everything now but MIL keeps on finding mistakes here and there, to which I have learnt to give deaf ears.:bonk

Note: Co-sis and I share health relationship and MIL generally creates issues. co-sis dont flaunt her father's wealth.

2. Sivasakthigopi

Sivasakthigopi Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    There is nothing to worry about your MIL. She is correct. When Pregnant Ladies work more and do all kind of house hold works she will get normal delivery. As well as Pregnant lady must took nutritious food and take care of her health. Same for TTC lady she have any health problems means, they must go under medical treatments. So that we all are asked her to take rest. As same as, If your Mil supporting you more means your co sis will get upset. coz she dont have child. So she taunts always you and take care!

Dont Worry!
    Everything solved! When your co sis got pregnant!

3. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

take care of relationship with your co-sis and stop listening to your mil. when time comes , put your foot down and get outside help. tell your husband you can't do everything.

1 person likes this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

How close are you to mil?
    Is it possible for you to sit down with her over a cup of tea and tell her this.You could tell her that her constant comparison is making your life difficult and you value your relationship with her and co sister....but this constant comparison and discrimination will cause problems some day. Tell her you are telling her this because you value the relationships very much but it is getting difficult for you.

If your relationship with her is not such that you can tell her this...then sit with husband and tell him .Let him tell his mother.

Also work towards getting a maid in the house. Your mil needs to learn that she is living with adults who should have the right to make simple decision that concern them.If she talks about co sister needing rest and you needing to work more...tell her...I am a working woman and I need a maid to help me out.

3 people like this.
  5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Many people are asked to do work to help normal delivery . Even doctors advise to do mopping as it is a good excercise, I know few colleagues who did this and they never do it otherwise .

you said she took very good care of you when you were in bed . So she seems to give care when needed. .

why worry about future and some one treats some one else . Be happy for yourself .

1 person likes this.
  6. Me1

Me1 Silver IL'ite

I am not at all worried of work load. But I dont like the way she treats my co-sis.She is been given extra care and love. Even when I was expecting MIL used to push co-sis and BIL to sleep. and me and DH were never pushed.

MIL is biased.

1 person likes this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Seriously...how can any one treat an adult like this?It is like teacher instructing a child in play school.You should have just gone to bed and pulled the sheet over your head. Some people just don't know their boundaries.The more you listen...the more they push.

3 people like this.
  8. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Put yourself in co-sisters position. Her action seems justifiable. Else co-sister might think she is childless, jobless so MIL is favouring you a lot.
    Get a maid/ cook so that work load reduces for everyone.

9. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

OP,

When you say you 'earn monthly for them', what do you mean? Do you hand over your monthly salary to them? Please don't do this. It will not improve relations with MIL, she will only take you for granted.

Don't bother about what MIL says, or the favouritism. Continue giving the deaf ear. Just learn to say no to MIL's unreasonable demands. Start by refusing the small unreasonable things. Get hired help to do the household chores.

1 person likes this.
  10. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

OP you need to become more assertive.Learn to say no coldly and then start doing what you want.Hows your relationship with your H? is it possible for him to talk with his mother?