1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Venting Out

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Poonamk1, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Poonamk1

Poonamk1 Silver IL'ite

Dear Friends, I always feel better whenever I read or write in Indus-L. It feels like I can talk about anything here without being manipulated. I love you guys.

My husband went to onsite last week only. My MIL is here with us from last 4 months. I have a 1.5 year old daughter. For some reasons FIL is staying with my BIL from last one month, he will be back to us in Feb. I have kept a day time maid for taking care of my daughter. We have a separate maid for cleaning. Problem is my MIL doesn’t care about my daughter. She makes the maid do all other stuff. MIL has stopped doing anything. Earlier when my husband was here she uses to do at least few things just to show him. But now, she sits on sofa and watches bhajans on TV whole day it seems. Apart from this she talks for hours over the phone to her sisters and FIL and do bad mouthing about me and my family. I recharged her phone for Rs 200 on 19th Jan and after that she has recharged her phone twice of the same amount. She usually tells my husband or BIL to recharge her phone. So, they might have recharged her phone. She is spending our hard earned money just to badmouth about me and others. She makes faces when I talk to my husband who is at onsite. I think she feels insecure; she thinks her son gives more importance to me. She even badmouth about her own son to FIL. MIL and FIL say their sons are making use to them by making them look after their kids. They give example of Bagwaan Movie. I don’t know yaar why MIL/FIL think like this. We have given everything to them. She badmouths about me over the phone which I have gifted her and I have re-charged it. We really have spent loads on her. Her quality is she will ask for things in a way like she is a bechari and no one cares to give her. But in reality you are in a luxury boss. We are making loads of efforts to maintain a decent lifestyle. I cannot leave my job, your son went to onsite for us right. MIL/FIL never helped us in anything which we have. Still you are saying that you are Amitabh Bachchan and Hema malini of Bagwaan.. Gosh, you have to show your faces to God yaar. Kuch toh sharam karo. I think that’s why you spend hours in doing puja and stuff. Either to show off or you don’t want to do any other work or to convince God that you still deserve heaven.

Worst part is MIL does not actually try to feed my daughter, she does not prepare anything for my daughter nor does she tell the maid to prepare anything for her. She prepares food (with the help of maid) as per her needs and taste, which my daughter doesn’t eat. Whenever I come back from office I use to make tea and serve her on her sofa. Then before dinner I will make chapaties and serve her on sofa.

Thanks friends for listening to my heart. I'm feeling better now.

2. pinkRoseBud

pinkRoseBud Gold IL'ite

Hire a maid who cooks horrible food and doesn't know anything but taking care of baby

1 person likes this.
  3. vanithaudt

vanithaudt Silver IL'ite

Let her do whatever she wants. Don't expect her on things like childcare. I think she thinks that she was used so she is at her worst behaviour. What to do you are working as well as taking care of toddler. She could ve helped you. Tell you what ,no sensible women will burn hard earned money on phone bill. She is doing it , knowingly , purposely. Her mind is corrupted. You better go to temple /park/small walk every day to stay away from negative energy.

1 person likes this.
  4. Poonamk1

Poonamk1 Silver IL'ite

hehe.. that’s right pinkRoseBud and vanithaudit. I also tried to nullify her negative thoughts by being cheerful and talking to her nicely. But I have a heart inside me which gets hurt badly. Yesterday, she told my husband that I want to go to my parents for vacation and she has to stay alone at home and she was trying to convince my husband that I'm doing wrong to her. Actual thing is she wants me to go to a marriage which is at our native place. So, I told her, yes we will go and I also told her even my brother is expecting his first child in Feb so we will also plan accordingly so that we can also go there. In my plan she was also included. My FIL is also supposed to come back to our home in Feb, so plan could be different also. There was no concrete plan as I have very few leaves left with me. This whole thing was just a light discussion. But, she told my husband and FIL that I want to go to my parents leaving her alone at home. Later, my husband called me then I told him whole thing. There are lots of other things which she used to tell my husband and FIL and other relatives to get sympathy and prove that she is such a great lady and her DIL is such a heartless person.
    Sometimes, I use to think why she needs to do all this. Why almost all MILs do such things. I don’t know why. Is it in nature.. I really don’t know.. Whatever makes her to do all this.. it is actually really very bad..

5. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

OP,

Instruct the maid to do work that you assign to her, and decline MIL. She is there to look after your child. If possible, get another maid and instruct her to take orders only from you, right at the very beginning. You could also look into good daycare options for your DD.

Why are they staying with you when your husband is not there? It will only cause problems for you.

Badmouthing done in your presence is only to bother you. Don't react to it. Just be cheerful, and act as if you did not even hear it.

Don't discuss your plans with them. Make plans with your husband, then communicate those to her.

2 people like this.
  6. Poonamk1

Poonamk1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks nb25 for sharing your thoughts.. really, I have noticed that she gets happy when I feel bad about her words.. and she feels bad when I behave like I do not care about anything she says.

They are staying with me because my husband does not want me to stay alone with DD.. also I do not want to keep my DD in creche as of now.. I started keeping her in creche when she was just 3.5 months old. Now, I want to give her a break. She at least plays and enjoys being at home. Now, she daily goes to park.. earlier it was very difficult for me to take her to park after a very hectic day.. My daughter is happy so I am happy..

7. divyas83

divyas83 New IL'ite

Hello.. I am really new to this forum.. but my thoughts are.. She is basically an in-secured person. You are working and taking care of home.. right. So if she doesn't show her influence with FIL and husband then they might start listening to an intelligent person.

So.. do not listen to her words.. Do not waste your words.. show how intelligent you are by doing things your way and not her way.. Thats your Victory....

1 person likes this.
  8. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

From your first post it seemed they were ignoring DD completely. Good to know that is not the case. If they are taking care of your DD, and she is happy, then ignore the drama. Remember to ask them "How was your day? I hope DD didn't tire you much" in the evening.

Show that you care for them, but do not let them overstep their authority. It is your home, you do as you please.

How old is your DD? Maybe MIL genuinely feels she has to start eating like adults, and is trying to get her adapted to their food. But she should not be going hungry.

Instruct the maid to cook for your DD, and ask her to feed her. If MIL wants to feed her (with the maid cooking as per DD's liking), then that should also be fine, as long as she gets to eat. Ask your DD if she was fed properly when you return. You can also have the maid come in the morning, and cook for your DD, without interference from MIL.

1 person likes this.
  9. Poonamk1

Poonamk1 Silver IL'ite

My DD is 1.5 Year old. Yes, apart from food issue other things are ok. My DD is a happy child and she enjoys being with people around her. That’s why I try to ignore other negatives but sometimes it becomes very difficult for me to ignore and that is when I post in Indus-L for emotional support. Thanks friends for listening and understanding my problem. I cannot discuss these with anyone else.

Food issue is: My DD spills off food which is more spicy but my MIL likes spicy and oily food. She cooks spicy and oily food with the help of maid. If there is some left over from last night's meal or even before she will not cook nor she will tell the maid to cook anything and she will feed that to my daughter.

10. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

Get lots of fruits and other healthy stuff at home, that requires minimum cooking. Let DD eat mainly healthy fruits, milk, sprouts, nuts, etc., in addition to cooked food. Do give the maid a warning though that she is not doing the job she was hired to do.
    I understand you are only venting, and here I am giving you unsolicited advice. :hide: