1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

stingy MIL strikes again

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by tulip2012, Jan 21, 2015.

1. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

Hello everybody, this is mainly a vent.

one day morening we had SILa nd family coming home and then MIL had special curry and appam prepared. when MIL came to know plan is cancelled, she kept the spl curry away and start making some usual curry for us ( Me DH and kids HAVE to go to IN laws place every weekend)

I felt bad as my kids would have liked spl curry, DH too.
    the funny part is DH came to kitchen n served some spl curry for himself and went ( he dint knew I think) and then she made exactly 3 appam per person - excluding kids) she for got abt kids I think
    and by the time i came for breakfast there was just 2 appams and me mil and kids had nt eaten.
    I loudly said, looks like appam is over - amma is there anything else ( I very well knew that she had fllour mix kept hidden)
    She said flour mix is tehre and just made exactly 3 more appam and refrigerated the remianing. I felt very bad.
    I gave the two appams to my 5 year old and I ate the left over ofmy younger child plus one appam.
    and then in the veneing, she packed dinner for us as we were leaviong ( normally I pack) she packed one curry prepared two days back and never botehrd to include the 3 otehr spl dishes which she specially prepared ( with my maids help)!

normally I keep quiet. this time I told DH - not in an accusingtone - but that I felt bad.
    Now anyways MIL stopped talking to me :)

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

You are visiting your MIL on weekends. You have the right to be treated as a visitor at her place with respect. However, you can not expect her to treat you and her other visitors equally. It is impossible.

Moreover, you can not demand or fight for what they offer to eat. However, you can be more preventive of any such misbehavior that could hurt both.

If I were you, I would either stop the regular weekend visit if I am not comfortable there. Specially if I am not given adequate food, then I would definitely inform my H about it. Neither I, nor my kids can starve on a long run. More over, I shall offer to take some dishes prepared by me at my home to serve everyone whenever I visit there. So that, if MIL's food is not adequate, I can still manage with whatever I have in hand. Also, it can be served for others too.

I would also take some biscuits and snacks, so that in case of less food it can be of help.

It is bad to serve different food for different people. It is discrimination. But imagine. Your SIL comes to her mothers place. That is always special for every married woman.

Your SIL might not have turned up the said date. But probably she might have told her mom to keep the food, so that she could have it on the next day.

Since that food was prepared for her with whatever the sentiments, lets respect it.

More over, MIL's house is not your mother's house. See the difference, accept it and move on

10 people like this.
  3. Denni

Denni Gold IL'ite

My MIL did something similar to us when DH and I were visiting her in BIL's place. She made some tea break cakes and those were my DH's favourite cakes , plus mine too. She hid them in the kitchen cabinet and did not offer us any . My younger BIL came home frm work and went straight to the cabinet and took those cakes and ate them. I saw her making eye contact to him ...BIL went straight to his room. How sickening!!

There was once during Christmas Eve, she cooked tonnes of food . DH, DS and I went there. I was so tired after work . MIL made me clean BIL's house. I swept the floor and mopped them too. Later she made go to the store to get some groceries. I went there in my drenched office attire. I worked like a maid and was starving. It was almost 10.00pm and she didn't let anyone eat. She wanted all the guest to arrive. The first guest ...SIL's sister came with her family and she immediately helped herself with the food!!! My boy has been asking for food since we arrived but she refused to give him any....you could imagine how I felt!

I brought my kid and walked out of the house. I didn't bother to wait for DH. Before I left, I told her, even a beggar deserves a better treatment than this!!!

OP, we cant change the mentality of this sick people. I stopped eating at her place. I made it a point to have our meals before we visit her. Sometimes my kid would bring his MCD meals with him.

You could do the same. Have your meals elsewhere or have them at home prior to your visit. That way may save you so much of heartache!! W

What kind of human being hides food from their own family? It doesn't matter who the food is cooked for. Sick women!

11 people like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...why do you tolerate such humiliating behavior?Don't go for a few weekends.If they ask...bluntly says you are tired of staying hungry during weekends and you can't see your kids staying hungry.She can call her special daughter every weekend to eat her special curry.
    Having different food for different people...that too your own children and their families is sick!
    OP ...your mil is a very small hearted woman.Period!

7 people like this.
  5. IamLucky

IamLucky Gold IL'ite

HI Tulip!!!
    If i were you, i would have told some excuses and avoid seeing such people, atleast not all the weekends. hereafter even if u get suffered in her hands, dont make the kids as victim of such sick people. in long run they ll get a bad example to follow. Better avoid these scenes in life for kids sake.

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...how about embarrassing her by calmly and frankly asking her why she discriminates between her daughter and son and their families.....in front of the family."Maa you kept the special curry inside when you heard sil will not come.Why? Are we not allowed to eat it?"

On second thought.......forget it girl!Even I wouldn't have bothered with such a petty person....I would have just not gone to her place.

5 people like this.
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Embarrassing won't help. Done that, and lost the battle once.
    What if she says "those cakes were my daughter's favorites that she never get to eat at her place there". Everyone in her family (FIL, BIL, and your H) would feel sympathy for that special DD and look down at you for demanding them.

If she doesn't want to share something then it means she doesn't want. Why argue, why expect and why worry. Let her share her special food with her special DD. She might have something else special for her son, who knows.

Better avoid such visits, or be prepared not to get affected next time.

Old people, old theories and old sentiments... Be the better person.

3 people like this.
  8. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

Thnk you ym.
    but not going there is something which I cannot control.I have given up with my efforts and just going with the flow... great fights happen over DH and me as his father is sick and wants us to be tehre.. it is super tiring for me.I have a maid there ( whom I pay) so these days I do not bother to do cooking much. even if DH wants me to prepare spl dishes MIL will say - oh i dont like taht ( she is very mean that she do not want me to use much of her oil and flour) also I have made it a point that flour and all I will buy and keep there as I can at least use it freely. as @SGBV said above if I buy bread or something and go she will see it and cook less saying bread is also tehre na!!
    how is it?
    such a specimen rt?
    anyways if SIL comes to know I am sure she would correct her mom as she is becoming a better person these days.

1 person likes this.
  9. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

hmm it was just chicken curry...her special dish.
    The prev week when we had bopught food items i had kept enough portion for their usage too...her logic is always cook less so people will eat less and we can prevent spending too much.
    she is ery mean when it comes to food
    once while frying potatoes my lil son was eating a few - then heshe said - it is not economical - so you wil understand the kind of person she is.
    i am perfectly ok with she cooking for her DD and as we go every week we may be taken for granted
    avoiding the visits are some thing impossible as DH is very much wanting to do taht. we will end up in fighting.
    i have tried many times

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

some people are really disgusting. My dadi (fathers mother) was one of those. I still remember when we were kids i think I was 7 or 8 and my bhua s son ( my first cousin, my fathers sisters son) my dadi ( grand Ma ) took us out

my cousin :I want ice cream
    Dadi: no I will have to buy, one for her as well(me)
    cousin : no I still want it

dadi brought only one ice cream just for him. It really wanted to have it too. I asked can I have ice cream as well, my dadi said take it from your mother. It's been more than two decades and I still remember this incident.

my mil is no exception. we visited mils house for around 10 days, I normally keep my toddler daughters books and toys with me but this I just didn't carry much, just a few for to keep her busy on flight, when we visited mils house there were no toys for her to play with. She was badly bored. Later on I got to know there were toys but since they were adopted sils sons my mil didn't give those toys to my dd. i went to market and got new toys for dd.

Some people are really beyond limits.

1 person likes this.