1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to handle multiple BIL and SIL relationship

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by AnkitaR, Dec 28, 2014.

1. AnkitaR

AnkitaR New IL'ite

Hi All,

I would like to brief out about my family 1st before starting.
    I am working in an IT company and married 4 years now. My Husband has 2 younger brothers. I share everything with my husband and there is no problem with my relationship with my husband.
    I believe I have a good fun relationship with both BIL especially the younger one as he is my age and talks a lot. The elder BIL was a bit moody as i felt but my husband said he has been that way ever since
    A year and half back, My 1st BIL got married.
    BIL & SIL are in there own world, they didn't disturb us and we too didn't disturb them. But my younger BIL was intouch with both us and them. And even my husband with his Brothers.
    My parents family are very interactive and my mom and her SIL are very close. I wanted the same to happen, when i asked my husband he said that since my BIL and SIL are far away ( as they were staying away for almost 9 months due to work location) She was not much interactive with us. Hence I left this matter and forgot about it and was busy with my work.
    The problem started when I joined whatsapp this year.
    This year my husband joined watsapp and I insist on creating a group of 3 brothers.
    Once i joined my younger BIL insists on joining that group and same way he insists SIL to join.

After which I saw there is more liking to her and importance to her on small small stuff which . Like changing the subject name if they are going out, got new car , her b'day and such stuff. All these change was done by my younger BIL. So i just went out of that group and did n't wanted to get myself hurt. Did I do right?

When I said about her behavior and attitude, Even my parents were saying that might be it is so because she comes from higher financial family ( This happens sometime in Indian families)

Now I am pregnant when I went to convey it to my SIL and BIL personally as suggested by husband, there were no wish from SIL. I feel both of them dont consider my husband and myself any importance. Only if they need any help they come to us. She never joins to any family function and neither BIL or IL say anything about it. I started noticing this only after I am pregnant as I dont have much work now. So is it my head cracking this up or is there any issue I dont know

But I see both of my BIL are very close and younger BIL likes spending time with them and knows more knowledge about them than we both. But my husband say it is not so.

I am fine if they dont talk to us. But as my husband is elder I would like both the BIL and their SIL ( including the future SIL also here ) to respect my husband.

My Husband says to concentrate on my health as of now. But still some time when I feel some negative vibes I feel bad. Why cant it just be normal!!

In future if both SIL becomes good friend and never includes me what will happen to me or my husband

I want address some behavior -
    1. When we went to her house, we went with a brochur of a land we just saw if they were also intersted but she did nt even touch it
    2.When we went to their house only BIL gave juice and snacks.
    3.When we went to their house with IL she was not well but she tried doing some work
    4.When I say anything about the topic she was talking she becomes disintersted and never talks about it later one. M i talking much?
    5.She is having sister and brother
    6.she said she doesnt want to meet any one from her husband family. She likes being alone with husband, but she gets irritated if my younger BIL doesnt come to her house and comes to our house. This I came to know by my younger BIL as elder BIL said it to him.Is it for us?

One more thing, my husband is innocent and things everyone are good people.

How to tackle such things

Currently I am just avoiding as if I dont want to know any thing happening. But I know it is not good for a healthy relationship.

Please help has anyone faced this type of issue. or am i taking it more seriously??

BIL- Brother In Law
    SIL - Sister in Law
    IL - In laws

2. mybaby1

mybaby1 Gold IL'ite

hi,
    first of all congrats for your pregnancy.Now coming to your issue.will suggest that for the time being jut try and keep yourself apart from all this.this will save you from any tension n mental pressure which is not at all gud for your health and baby offcourse.secondly I personally believe in treating people in the very same way they treat me.if she is not interested in interacting you too sideline them.

2 people like this.
  3. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

This watsapp is not a relationship builder but it does the good job of wrecking families. I have also been on groups where I have been sidelined. Just stop interacting with these people. Don't expect them to give you or your husband any respect when they have made it very clear that they don't want to be close to you. Concentrate on your health and family. You don't need these people to be happy , right? So just live your life and stop thinking and analyzing so much. Congratulations on your pregnancy...take care!

1 person likes this.
  4. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

Congrats on your pregnancy. Your husband is right. Why are you worried so much about your co sis? Do you have any siblings? If you have then it's better to spend much time with our own people, rather than with those who are not interested in us. One thing I didn't understand.... to share your pregnancy news with them, why do you people had to go to their house? you might have done that just in a phone. Now that you know, how they treat you, you got a reason to avoid them.

2 people like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on your pregnancy Op.This is the time you should be taking care of yourself and bonding with your husband.....and enjoying this wonderful time.

Your post of full of how your bil is closer to the other bil and co sister.Why are you so obsessed about your bil and his attention.How does it really matter?Even if he likes them better...so what? Are they ganging up against you are spoiling your relationship with your DH? If not...why are you so upset.Let them be close and have fun.

How is age related to respect?Why do you worrying about it? Why do you exceptions from someone who is not even in your life(future sil).I am sorry...but you seem to be the person with too many expectations from your husband's brothers and their wives just because you happen to be married to the elder one.

Again ...you are worrying about a situation that is not even present. Besides there is not much one can do ...except try and be happy in your life with your husband and baby.
    He is right....

Dear Op...don't worry about things that are not present.Take care of yourself.Wishing you a very happy pregnancy.

3 people like this.
  6. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,
    sorry to say this.... you are expecting too much from your Co-sis. i am also a younger DIL & co-sis to a person who are expecting too much respect from me to her & her husband even they are not worth for it.

one thing i am not getting, why elder DIL are expecting respect levels from younger co-sis & younger BIL families once they separated from family with name of marriage?
    may be your DH is kind & innocent person...but what ever benefits you both gave to BIL only. not to co-sis. please mind this every time. co-sis is individual person & she don't have any responsibility to give over respect to elder co-sis & BIL for what her DH taken in past.

if your 1st BIL says any thing in great way about you & your DH to your co-sis, there may be some respect come from her heart. but who knows...what is in his heart about you people...?

your co-sis also a equal DIL like you in family. so if you give respect to her, she will also give respect to you. check yourself.

coming to younger BIL, he is still bachelor & having fun mind instead of seriousness in his activities. so dont care about his importance levels in b/w you & your co-sis may be she is expecting him just for fun because they don't have other works. but you have lot of work like job & baby care. you are old known to him & she is new unknown to him. so may be he is showing interest on her to impress her. why you are feeling uncomfortable because of his un matured activities? Is he worth for it now? surely not. your baby only worthy than him. so dont care his activities.

finally, these thoughts are not at all worth to roll in your mind now. because it will affect your baby thinking levels in future. so be cool & proud yourself. finally don't be too much good & don't expect good from remaining persons in family. control your DH by doing over good things to others. because you will need to expect same/over respect from them just because of your good doings. so stop every thing & live your life happily. try to busy with parenting skills & baby caring.

improve professional skill which may help you to hike your salary & makes you richer than co-sis. your happiness is best shot to your co-sis. so try for it.

2 people like this.
  7. AnkitaR

AnkitaR New IL'ite

Regrading the below solution from you, isnt we too part of the family?? Why cant it be like get together? And if I see the fun few time effecting my husband feeling..then? Some information never reaches us. Only through IL we come to know..and my husband wants all family to be together too, but he just say we cant help it if they are not intersted. This makes me think like what is going on. I think in future if there is any responsibility It ll only come to my husband and others will not have any responsibility.

:)

8. AnkitaR

AnkitaR New IL'ite

Thanks Reesha,

And I am good at my professional skills. As I am pregnant now I might be exaggerating. But believe me atleast I have the respect for them. it not like I need only them to respect. I am just trying to handle the situvation. Like can I do something like we are in talking terms atleast. It is just like hi hello and nothing els I know about. And sometime I feel guilty that I might have to do something to correct it or so.

Point 2 and 3 was just to compare the behaviour which I felt odd. Might be she had a fight with BIl the other day. Not sure

I sure like your advice and try to avoid the unnecessary hassle.

Yes as an elder SIL in our custom there might be more work in future. So that time I might be in fix. thats why this post or thread

9. AnkitaR

AnkitaR New IL'ite

Some custom...my husband wanted to share this happy news with them personally. We did tell BIL in phone though

10. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

Calm down, they are just your pregnancy hormones. Nothing serious. Stop thinking about others and enjoy your pregnancy. Have a safe and healthy 9 months. All tje best :)

2 people like this.