1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

co sis ,bil , inlaws manipulative..advice plz

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by priya2782, Dec 18, 2014.

1. priya2782

priya2782 New IL'ite

I have joint family, joint home,elder BIL & co sis..co sis never liked me and played two faced games all the time , degrading me amongst all relatives right after marriage. My BIL is the fav son hence his wife is the fav DIL, for any wrong they so or do my inlaws turn a blind eye and constantly find faults in me. My kids are less favored as compared to hers..we are abroad for almost 6 yrs no, haven't spoken to her once in this time because we weren't speaking much before we came here. As a new bride I didn't touch her feet but hugged her as a friend, now when I go back don't want to hug her either or touch my BIL's feet because they have bben trashing us all this while too even though we weren't there to say a word about it. DH agrees to their lousiness but doesn't say much or do much abt it, because he is comgortable living in the shade of his brother's glory. Now they are getting friendlier with my uncle aunt, freqent visist & parties with each other. It irks me no end that they are now inflitrating my relationships and becominga regular at my house(chacha chachis)..It's just so messed up, that I don't want to go back at all, but have to visit in the coming months, don't know how to even greet her when I see her after this long time, hug her or not..touch BIL's feet or not, how to work in the kitchen with her:idontgetit:..It's like her sole mission in life is to make me miserable.that too when I didn't do a thing to her, spoken or otherwise

2. confusedwoman

confusedwoman Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,
    If its for a few days visit, keep your head low. Do your thing, don't feel you have to reply to every taunt. Mirror the co sis behavior. Don't take anything to heart. Also keep yourself occupied with other things, like visits to friends,family, trips to temples etc. Come back without openly confronting anyone.
    If your chaacha chachi are close to you, they might be treating your co sis & Bil nicely for you sake. Let your chaacha chachi know that they are mean to you, they will stop telling you about co-sis visits. If they don't, then you have to take it with a pinch of salt and let go.
    Happy Haolidays

3. priya2782

priya2782 New IL'ite

it's not confronting I worry about, it's more getting along daily and routine conversations. Also my chacha chachi fully well know they are not nice to me but in te last 6 yrs they have worked some charm over them , brought gifts to them and been very nice and social with the. It's now a mutually benefitting relationship for them

4. katsb

katsb Silver IL'ite

Just ignore her and you show her that you are very very happy in your own world with your hubby. No need to confront. No need to acknowledge her presence also.
    This will just put her in her place. Don't bother about what they do with your relatives. You be happy in their company and just avoid interaction with BIL/Co-sis except for what is needed. Make your ignoring/avoiding her obvious. Be bold.

2 people like this.
  5. priya2782

priya2782 New IL'ite

@katsb..ya but I'm unsure if I don't touch her feet or hug her when we first arrive, everyone will talk about me, but I don't want to do any of that, because I know they are ill wishers..boldly ignoring in a joint family makes me look bad & solidifies the image she creats for me anyways to all relatives and family

6. confusedwoman

Alas, the only people we can demand loyalty from is our parents, that too if we have a good equation with them. Not even siblings can be asked to shun someone, every one have their own friendships, relationships.

We just have to ignore and not show that this troubles us. Other than that agree with katsb 100%

1 person likes this.
  7. confusedwoman

Create a distraction when you first meet her, ask someone (not your husband) to call your name or feign a headache or ask your husband to go first and you will join him later after some urgent work in the market. Avoid such dramatic welcome by any means. Then ignoring will be easier, also its easier for your co-sis to tarnish your image as she is physically present in the house. No co -sis will speak good about other co-sis, just take it in your stride. Be polite to all others.

8. katsb

katsb Silver IL'ite

Priya, If you are happy and not grumpy, I don't think any will bother. Being polite and cold is quite different from being pally and lovey dovey. If you are not picking any fight or creating any scene why will anyone bother? If they still question, make some excuse that you are not well or something. IMHO, you can either stay away from those who hurt you and be happy or do things you dont want for people you don't like and be miserable. If you are worried about your image, go ahead and be goody to her. The choice is yours. Anyway you dont even stay here and meet these relatives rarely, so why bother what they think about you? These relatives are mostly the kind, to whom if you give a gift or throw a party, their loyalty will be towards you. So yes, no point fretting about relatives.

2 people like this.
  9. priya2782

priya2782 New IL'ite

Dear @katsb..I'm polite & reserved, don't speak unnecessarily & my co sis is very pally, fake lovey dovey & everyone sings praises for her warm nature. I stay away from them for now but have endure years of living with them & being miserable everyday for years( doing things to please others). Whenver we return it will be back to living together again, and sh won't change I know that for a fact.
    yes as you say no point fretting over relatives if they are so easy to change loyalties

10. katsb

katsb Silver IL'ite

I feel sad for you. I have the same kind of co-sis, fake and buttering ALL the time, only to my PILs and their relatives and to me in front of my PILs. Behind their back, she is mean and crappy to me even though I am the elder DIL. I very well understand your feelings. But for my happiness, I now live separately with my hubby. Thankfully I have a very supportive hubby. I confided in him and always showed him the truth even if it meant exposing my vulnerabilities to him. This worked for me in the long run.
    My advise to you is, whenever you settle down in India, prep your hubby for it from now only and make sure you stay separate. Either because of job or kids or any other reason. I know it is a tough task, but it will happen if you keep trying.

I used to think that I would probably never be able to get out of that hellhole, but at last it happened.