1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL birthday..

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by dars, Nov 27, 2014.

1. dars

dars Silver IL'ite

Hi all..

I just need your input

Today my MIL birthdayfaintingsmiley.my husband remind me and asked me to bring some gift while coming back from office:hide:.He instructed me the gift should be nicely packed.i should not be calculative blah blah...
    I was super irritated. It remains me her previous birthday. I gifted her.
    But for my birthday they never turned back including my DH.I never expect any gift from them, but he did not wish me also:spin.
    Please give me your suggestion .what shall I do..

thanks in advance

2. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

hmm.... i understand how you feel.......why don't you call your husband.....and check with him , what he expect you to gift his mom.....or better, why don't you ask your husband to buy the gift for her ........

3. dars

dars Silver IL'ite

He is working in some other city.weekend only he is coming.he was very happy when he told this to me.mothers birthday made him to be happy:bang.

whenever i try tell about my birthday, before marriage i used to celebrate like this and all,he will immediately tell in our family we will not celebrate birthday, we will take as a normal day:drowning.

4. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hello dars
    welcome to world of biased dh and mils, fils, sils etc., etc.,
    Even in my house it is same. DH'is birthday is celebrated and so also the SILs birthday and wedding anniversaries. But never mine. Even for preparing a sweet on the B'day, they used to say u should tell in advance of 2-3 days.
    Be that as it may, I agree with Lisa, u should ask your DH to buy the gift and wash your hands of it.

5. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

then call him and sweetly tell him that.."you called me in the morning and told about mom's b'day.....if it would had been before marriage, I would have celebrated MILs b'day this way and that way, blah blah blah...but now that I am in this family where the birthdays are not celebrated and taken as normal days as per family norm.....its so sad that I can't do anything or buy anything for her....rem'ber how we did not celebrate my b'day as well, how i missed those days when i had grand b'day celebration would get loads of wishes and gifts...honey you also did not wish me that day....how hurt i was......but we can't do much...right??"

8 people like this.
  6. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

and dear......don't let him push you in buying a gift for your MIL....if he wants he can buy it himself and send it across....its so easy to get flowers, sweets and gifts delivered at door step of loved ones, from any corner of this world these days.....whats stopping him??

and if you want to win them with your generosity, then keep gifting, your DH, your MIL, your FIL, year on year...say for about 3 or 4 years, and then see them following your footsteps(provided they are not so mean not to return the gesture).......

1 person likes this.
  7. dars

dars Silver IL'ite

thanks for you input Aprillisa...

I don't want to create another drama bcz of this.I usually feels happy by gifting others.Last year nobody have expected gift from me.but i gave.she felt happy.my DH too..
    but so many fights between me and Dh bcz of her intervention.i hate her to the core.
    Now am emotionally independent and financially too.More stronger than before.all the credit goes to them.
    i think for that i can give a big gift to both of them.

6 people like this.
  8. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

great..... go ahead and gift them with a sweet smile....... let them learn slowly how to love......and how to gift.....

1 person likes this.
  9. padmaja909

padmaja909 Platinum IL'ite

Give her some gift, without any expectations. If they understand your love they will return the gesture. If they do not, its their loss for losing respect of a loving and generous DIL.

10. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

True me too.. Because of there cunning natures, i became smart and matured, and independent.
    I too gift tons to his sister in usa, and my mil, but forget about gifting me back, they dont even
    bother to call/mail and acknowledge they got the gift and it was good..

So this time i told my DH, i will never buy now on as they dont have courtesy to even say thanks.
    After 5.5yrs of married life, DH understands me and accepts, alright lets not buy them anything