1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to get it go

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Pratts, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Pratts

Pratts Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am married for two years now.. First one year was all fun and got going.. Slowly I am feeling little discomfort and so need to get advice from experienced persons out there.. Actually my husband jus got into job after completing his MS and we ve so much loan to repay.. my life started off with little financial instability but not bad.. I shud be really lucky to ve such a husband who managed first year with as income as he could.. now the scenario begins :

1. My FIL is not at all interested we staying in US.. He comes out with random stories that all sons leave their parents alone in India not even caring to meet.. However we r not going to stay here only cos of him.. At times it hurts wen he gives us eg about people who doesnt take care of parents at their old age.. It makes me feel bad as women we ve not given option to look after our parents though we stay in same place... The more he came up with stories the more i became negative.. I now feel why cant we jus settle and stay in US itself..

2. Gifts : I agree that my DH does for my parents.. but he always makes sure that his parents esp dad gets more than my family.. i feel we r not from any family who survived all these yrs with gifts only from others.. Also he asks me to show everything to his dad about wat all i ve got for my family.. His dad wants gifts not to him but all his cousins also.. Sad part my FIL will not at agree for any gifts for my MIL's brothers who actually did so much to them.

3. SIL : She is older than me but younger to him.. She is unmarried.. Honestly speaking I feel she is been pampered so much for her age.. She is 29.. She has so much demands for luxury.. cos she cannot go to shop for printouts and xerox she asked her dad to get a printer at home.. he in turn asked my DH.. he spent whole day looking for it and got it for her.. when printer is gone her prob is catridge next.. basically she and my FIL are very lethargic and gets it done through my DH.. My in laws stay in a place jus cos of my SIL.. She earns stipend but she spends only on her stuffs.. She will not even bother to give a rent fees... My DH gives my FIL some amount every month.. even wen we were in so much struggle we manged to pay rent..

4. Finance : I ve no prob he giving money to my in laws but they in turn use only for their daughter... her car maintence.. petrol.. recharge.. hotel stay.. flights and train booking.. This way i will ve to sacrifice on few stuffs..

5. Travel : I really dnt understand why is there a rule that we shud go in laws place first and then to parents.. again to in laws place and then travel back?? our plan this year is stopped as we are expecting my SIL wedding.. So all our planning are based on her wedding.. however my DH leaves are gone and now even if any he will ve to take paid leaves

6. US : My FIL is totally against US.. he comes out with various reasons that this country is bad.. even if a person is wrong , he says its cos of the country.. wen my DH said that he got job here, believe me he was very sad.. i see it strange to see a father who is unhappy with son staying abroad.. last year he always says to apply company in India and get back.. this year he is happy cos he gets money from his son..

So ladies.. sorry for a long mail.. I jus need ur experiences as well and how u handle such situations.. I shud jus get it go or raise my voice.. even if i say little he says that i create a negative impact about his family... that hurts and i keep silent.. but still anger jus comes into me..

2. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Instead of focusing on your in laws, focus on your life. Plan ahead in terms of finances, living, investment, retirement, kids and so on. All these issues will take a different turn then.

Also, have kids soon.

1 person likes this.
  3. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

How does your husband feel about staying in US? Is he influenced by FIL's decision?

Regarding gifts, I always buy the gifts for both set of parents. I buy the exact same things for them, as any thing different would only result in comparison from ILs. You should get involved in buying gifts with husband, or you should do it by yourself.

Don't get worried about what FIL says. Get your husband to agree with you on staying in US. Tell him it will be like uprooting your life in US again, to go back. Discuss the ways both of you can support his parents while staying in US. Then, let your husband talk to FIL about staying in US. Ignore FIL's remarks for now. Don't try to prove him wrong, or argue with him.

Why does your husband pay for whatever SIL wants? Is she not working? Is it huge amounts he is paying? Plan for your major investments - buying a home, saving for kids (if you have any or are planning). Agree to put a fixed part of monthly salary for these expenses. This will automatically reduce husband's contributions to SIL.

Get involved in the decision-making phase when travel plans are being made. Your husband should discuss travel plans with you first, and then with either set of parents. It doesn't matter where you go first, as long as you spend equal time with parents and ILs. But yes, going back to ILs place again is not required. Tell your husband that you want to be fair to both sets of parents - spend equal time with both, with only 1 trip to either place. Say that you will be able to spend more time with parents and ILs rather than on travelling, and also save some travel expenses. Let your husband choose where he wants to go first.