1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

If PIL did,it is Help. If DIL did, it is duty in view of DH

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Reesha, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

hi,

i am doing cold war with my DH in one of his view. That is...when i am newly married, his parents are joined in hospital & they got nice service from me. i run for them & i cooked for them finally i did lot of work with out rest for them when they have need. i gave priority to their service instead of my job settlement by that time. because i am new DIL, my Dh pressured me lot by saying it is our duty. Ok, even it is burden to me, i thought it is my DUTY to serve them as DIL in their needs.

Now, it's my turn, & i am suffering with baby work & diving to get back to job. but my DH is creating very non cooperative environment to me now & opposing my job trails. he is showing baby as reason, because who will care baby if i left home. i said about my care taker plan & PIL presence to observe care taker. but he is opposing that, he will not assures PIL staying for long time. if they stay, that is big big help from them to me & he don't like to ask them to stay if they want to leave.

what hell, isn't their duty towards DIL to take care baby needs(just observing care takers work) when she is in need. if they stay for my baby , it is HELP in DH view. if i work hardly for them, it is DUTY in his view.

for what DIL has to do duty to PIL, because they will not raise their DIL & praise DIL? every time PIL using her as servant for their health needs. but when she is in need, what ever they did is HELP but not Duty.

2. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Girl, believe me, you dont want your PILs in your house. Duty or no duty - take it as a good thing that your DH is not making them stay with you people.
    Have you seen how most of the problems in this forum are related to PILs staying in the same house? Take the offer from your husband and run in the opposite direction I say.

As for child care, its always better to look for a day care than depend on anyone else to look after the kid.

14 people like this.
  3. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Never do things with expectation. Just think you did service to elders. thats all. and surely you will get satisfaction then. Service will lead to a smile, expectations will lead to pain.

4. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Issue here is with your h. Actually he doesnt want you to work. He is just giving example of PIL not helping to make you rethink so stop getting angry at your PILs. Like this he will give many examples to make you change your mind. One day 'PIL will not help', next day 'baby will get sick', next day, 'what happened to your mother instinct' etc, etc. It will take some time for him to slowly come around. So forget about PIL and your duties and think how to solve this problem. Can your parents help you for an year or so till baby is old enough to go to daycare?

2 people like this.
  5. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

Let them be. Better that they not stay with you unwillingly, and create problems in your married life. Do you really want them commenting on how you raise your kids, correcting you every time, interfering with your methods of child - rearing, and domestic chores?

I know it hurts when you have done all you could for them, and they refuse to help. But that is their decision. Don't help them out so much in the future, at your expense. Always put yourself first.

It is far more convenient to get a day care. If you are concerned about your child's safety, then get a nanny and install a camera in your house, to make sure she is taking proper care.

1 person likes this.
  6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Reesha,
    You did your duty towards your PILs when they were in the hospital for a few days.

Thats good of you !

But, expecting your inlaws to raise your baby for several years (however observant caretakers) - that is NOT DUTY that is SACRIFICE (I wont even call it HELP) - they have raised children and lived their life - they want to do whatever they want to do now - if you wanted someone else to raise YOUR child, you should have asked them about it BEFORE bringing the child into the world.

And you are not even talking about a few days or months, you are talking about their lifetimes !!!

Ok, think of this - Someone among your friends or relatives would have taken care of you when your baby was born - they ran around the hospital, cooked food for you and took leave from office etc... What if they gave you THEIR BABY and asked you to be an observant caretaker!!! Can you imagine putting your life on hold, not doing what you wanted to do for days, months and years ????

It is another matter to have them as a backup plan or maybe sometimes when they have the energy or nothing else to do - but if they are active and have their own lives, you want to stop their lives and push your duties, preferences and priorities on them ???

Taking care of someone when in hospital and looking after a child that is not your own - different things!!!

It is your DH who's telling you their limitations, so it is possible that your DH doesnt want you to work - so discuss that further, think about other options - day care ?? parents ?? work from home ?? creche at office ?? alternate shifts for you and DH??

Baby is YOUR responsibility - you and DH should be primary caretakers !

9 people like this.
  7. RedFlower

RedFlower Silver IL'ite

Even I feel that.. why do you want them to come and stay along with you. And that too in the time of raising a child... These MILs usually would comment and command the way you do for your child... Maintain them at a distance and aviod unwanted chaos...

1 person likes this.
  8. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

see,
    i am not stopping them in any other cases like visiting other houses or going out for vacation. i am respecting them & doing my work silently with out uttering a word on them. while we rae take caring of their needs like cooking special foods for them daily because they are diabetic & managing their health needs like taking medicines & maintaining guest services to their close friends cum relatives & fallow up doctors monthly for life long...

see, if they stick to bed at final days, i have to care them daily like making bath to them ,helping them to poo also...( my mom facing this situation with my grand mother now from 3 years onwards) for their life long. because of i am dil t them, i can't escape from their service because of society pressure.

so with out wish or with wish, while they are going to enjoy my service for life long, why can't i expect from them?

isn't their minimum duty towards us in child case for life long?

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

OP:
    I'm not sure why you had a baby you seem to have no wish to attend to in it's young life, but once you made that decision, you no longer get to do what you want, when you want, how you want anymore. I am going to shut up now before I get myself in a lot of trouble.

4 people like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Reesha, you are mixing up many things. Some famous person said that expectation is the root cause of all disappointment.

You took care of your in-laws and are doing so much for them - do it for your own satisfaction, because you feel it is your duty, or because of its impact on your marriage.

Ideally, it would be nice if they helped out with the kid, but you cannot enforce that. That is not in your control. What is in your control is how much you continue to do for them. Given your husband's stance on it, you can change your contribution to "supporting" him in taking care of his parents, but cut down on how much your directly do.

This taking care of bed-ridden in-laws is in the future, and you never know what will happen. If your mother is taking care of your grandmother, doesn't mean you also will have to take care of your in-laws. Don't blame society. Do what you want to do. To cut down on disappointment and discord in your marriage don't do any seva out of an expectation that they will help in some particular way.

6 people like this.