1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

what should I reply?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by droplet, Nov 5, 2014.

1. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

hi,

My relationship with in laws is bare minimum for the past few months, though it has been cold wars from the first month of marriage. The relationship hit the base when my fil told me I have no voice to speak or suggest on my dh's financial matters. Long story in short,from the first day of marriage he indirectly said that I should not voice my opinions on my dh's financial and all this time I acted deaf but few months back he directly questioned me how can I transfer money from dh's account to my account. that was his limit of interference and I told him," fil, this is your limit. I am not answerable to you and whatever I do is with my dh's knowledge and permission. We don't want another person rule our financials." then there was a huge drama though it happened few months back this is still in my heart.

On diwali day, he called to wish me and said I have credited Rs2000 to my dh's account for diwali. for this I did not reply. now he have credited Rs 1000 for our wedding anniv. on my dh's account and probably he will be telling this to me. I really think of giving this reply, " fil, any financial matter you can say to your son and not me."

this time I need to give him back. I need your help for better answers may be better words. Please pour in your suggestions.

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

If he says 1000Rs credited, just say a quick Ok, and leave it.
    Dont invite drama needlessly into life. Say Ok and leave it at that.

5 people like this.
  3. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

Believe me, this time he will not tell you about that. Everytime we think about our comebacks with ILs, the situation won't even arises.

4. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

Hi Ragini,
    I am tired being blunt and deaf every time. Now I have started giving them the reply they deserve. being silent I have not gained any good rather it took toll on my health for suppressing my feeling. from my experience for the past few times with in laws, I honestly say, once I reply to their nasty comments I get peace of mind.
    My fil's tongue has this sickness which needs treatment.One dosage of reply keeps his mouth shut for a few weeks. This is how I have seen my fil, Once I give the reply he stays quiet for few weeks, if not I hear from him either directly or indirectly every other day. So i get ready with my next dosage. This is how I treat my fil's tongue for his sickness from attacking my heart.

2 people like this.
  5. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

We may think anger helps us, it actually only spoils our health. We carry the burden when we think of it, plan ahead, post threads, discuss etc. A simple Ok and shrug your shoulder to bad people, is like almost no effort, no stress, peaceful, once you practice.

6 people like this.
  6. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

Hi oyster,

Yes you are right. there are times when they behaved as I predicted and there have been times the situation didn't even arise. If he did not tell me, Then fine else I am preparing myself.
    do you have a suggestion of words for me ?
    please share.

7. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

Ragini, If I am going to say ok and give a shrug, I am sure i will post another venting thread. Isn't a planning thread better than a venting thread ?

8. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

If FIL says you are not to voice your opinion on DH's financials, just act surprised, and say "Then who is responsible for my financial matters, if not me?" Let it be known that you and DH are one, and handle all responsibilities, including finance, together.

If hearing about this money transfer bothers you, you can say "Are you implying I want your money, FIL? Are you suggesting I am greedy?" Leave it at that. This may cause some drama again. So, it is up to you if you want to say it or keep quiet.

Otherwise, just ignore him for the time being. He seems to be trying to get in your good books again.

2 people like this.
  9. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

If he says that he has credited money to your husband's account, politely ask him, why he is saying that to you.

If he says that you need to know, you can mention to him that we have disagreed to finance matters from day 1. You don't want to know or get involved about the financial transactions between father and son.

Be polite, be stern and put an end to this.

4 people like this.
  10. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

IMHO, I wouldn't go this route. Don't ask questions which will prolong the discussion. Keep it short and to the point.

2 people like this.