1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cinderella retold by a married princess

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by nb25, Oct 31, 2014.

1. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

After seeing all these threads on IL/DH problems here, I thought of writing this article.

First of all, I would like to say, no offense to any of the nice, loving, decent ILs.
    I am sure there are many of you out there.

I write this piece with the sole intention of giving struggling girls (like me - who enter marriage, expecting a rosy life), and those of us yet to tie the knot, a fair picture of married life. I hope to make a small contribution in making women like me learn not to take ourselves, and our problems too seriously.

Apologies if I offend any women who are going through far greater issues than me in their marriage. No intention to trivialize your issues.

Apologies if I offend any MILs reading this. No intention to vilify you.
    Just hope to show you how our whole world changes after marriage.

Of course, married life is great. No doubts.
    But no use having any false expectations.

This piece is written to be taken in a light spirit (the first half).
    If you do not understand me, please ignore me.

No further dilly-dallying. I will come straight to the point.

We girls grow up reading such fairytale romances like Cinderella.
    We go through life searching for our Prince Charming.
    Our endless search yields result at last.
    We find our own Prince Charming.
    The whole world seems so much more beautiful.
    Then we get married, expecting our own happily ever after.
    Only to be jolted back to reality!!!

We find ourselves not the delicate, little princess that we imagined living in huge castle, with every imaginable luxury, with servants to attend to every whim and fancy.
    No.

Instead, the poor princess finds herself face to face with a fire-breathing dragon (enter MIL).
    Where is Prince Charming? Why has he forsaken me in my hour of need?
    She wonders.
    She calls out to him.
    But he is nowhere to be found.
    Prince Charming suddenly seems not so charming.
    The poor princess is trapped, with no fairy god mother to come to her rescue.
    What does the princess do in this situation?
    Simple. She must confront the dragon herself.
    How? First, she has to stop being afraid of it.

On a more serious note, most of us DILs, who face issues with ILs, have a problem defining boundaries.

We are too scared of them. Why?
    We continue to have issues with our MILs, because we are too scared to confront them.

Of course, I do not believe that all MILs are fire-breathing dragons.
    They are peolpe like us too. Just that we, the scared DILs, see them that way.
    Why do I make them dragons in this story?
    Because I want girls to realize how unreasonable their fear of ILs is.
    Not because I derive fun from making ILs seem ridiculous. I would never do that.
    I am against disrespecting ILs in any way.
    I respect my ILs even after some issues we have had in the past.
    Only that I refuse to be intimidated into submission now.

We are too scared of saying no.
    We mull too much on consequences of saying no, even to the most unreasonable of their demands.
    The effect, they continue taking us for granted, thinking we are okay with every thing they suggest.
    Even when we are inwardly simmering with discontent.

Then, after a long time of being taken for granted, when a DIL protests, of course the ILs don't understand her.
    She was okay with every thing all this time, suddenly, she talks back.
    Of course they find it rude, when they are being used to treated with the utmost deference and obedience.
    Even the smallest, most reasonable refusal can seem to be impudence.

Ladies, it is all upto us to control our own lives.
    No reason to be scared of our ILs/DH or any one else.
    I feel this one thing lies at the heart of many of our marital problems - fear of ILs.
    What will they think? What will they say? How will they feel?
    How about each one of us?
    What do we think? What do we say? How do we feel?

We women should always, always respect our ILs.
    Treat them the same way that we want DH to treat our darling parents.
    But not to the extent that we have no freedom, and are continually full of resentment towards them.
    PIL - DIL relationship is too important to be given up on, and forms the foundation of a happy marriage.

Pardon me, if I sound too preachy.
    These are my thoughts, and any one is free to disagree with me.

I believe each one of us women is a princess, and can continue being one, even after marriage.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    12 people like this.

2. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

Loved your analogy. The key is to choose the battles you want to take on. You can't protest against every little issue, at the same time, you shouldn't be quiet if its a serious matter.

1 person likes this.
  3. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

desichica,

Thank you.

Agree with you that protest should be made after analyzing the gravity of the situation. We should let the little things slide. Otherwise, there can be no relationship.

1 person likes this.
  4. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

No offense op, but I feel lots of problems in marriage are because of unreasonable expectations we have.I don't agree with this prince charming and mistress in distress thing. Till the time we teach our young girls that they need a prince charming to make their life beautiful and a young woman is not emotionally independent person but someone who is dependent on her prince charming life will be very tough.
    I have seen lots of girls specially my old school and college mates who were in their dreamworld waiting for a prince to come and marry them and make their life happy, even before marriage they are emotionally dependent on that dream guy for happiness! Many of them now complain that life is not like fairy tale.
    I agree with you that a woman is responsible for her own life and happiness. I feel we need to teach our girls to be not only financially but also emotionally independent and get married thinking that you are marrying another human being who neither has any super powers nor is any prince to make your life super happy. You both are humans and will have ups and downs in life and need to understand each other and have reasonable expectations and yes same things are needed to be taught to the guys too!

7 people like this.
  5. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

cutemonster,

It seems we are saying the same things in different words.

I believe that girls should be independent. That is why the Prince Charming disappeared when the Princess was faced with a dragon. In real life, it means wife should be able to stand up to unreasonable demands of MIL (emotional independence).

I too feel that emotional and financial independence are both needed in a marriage. Emotional independence comes with financial independence.

I believe that girls should know before marrying someone that their PCs will not always be at hand to dispel all their problems.

If girls recognize this fact, their own independence, then slowly guys will start understanding it too.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Till the day that I cared what my MIL thought - it was hell. Now that I have learnt to stand up for myself when needed and not replay the entire conversation in my head and think "i should have said that", "I should have said this".
    Wonderfully written.

1 person likes this.
  7. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

gauridinesh,

Same is true for my relationship with MIL too. First, I was scared of her, and expected DH to intervene. But when I realized that would not happen, I stood up to her myself. Now, things are getting better.

Thank you.

8. Alildream

Alildream Gold IL'ite

Great post nb25!! Completely agree with you...
    yes Prince Charming is nowhere to be seen when the damsel he married is in distress! The fire breathing mil seems to be making life hell...the princess needs to fight her own battle, she must not rely on Prince Charming!
    But I don't agree that there is NO fairy godmother...for me, all the lovely ladies here at indusladies, pitching in with advice are all equivalent to fairy god mother! Indusladies is also a lovely place to vent...thank god for small mercies!

2 people like this.
  9. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

Alildream,

Thank you!!

Well said Alildream! All those ladies who help us out in our times of distress are truly fairy godmothers to the rest of us. I have enjoyed support from ladies here when I had some problems initially. This is a great platform and all of us ladies here are really lucky to have each other.

1 person likes this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

The problem starts with us all wanting the good Dil medals. We also think that our husband agrees to every thing in laws believe. We should try to understand our spouse more than in laws.

Most importantly.......don't agree to anything that you don't want to do for the rest of your life.How you refuse is up to you.You can say it point blank...you can ignore...you can nod but do your own thing.It depends on your level of confidence and your nature. But don't get stuck doing stuff you don't want to do...because you will hate them for this and later on yourself for not standing up for yourself.

5 people like this.