1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Not able to move on

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by internetmom, Oct 30, 2014.

1. internetmom

internetmom Silver IL'ite

Saw a thread about sharing bedroom with ils because of A/C the other day and that sent all my memories and pent up emotions gushing forth making me vent it out here.

There are three bedrooms in my housing and two of them are fitted with A/C. One of them is our bedroom and the other one has to be reserved for my Ils, even when they are not here. The third one is used for any guests including my parents. During my pregnancy my ils were not there for more than a year still my parents used the third room only.

But at the time of my DDs birth it was the pick of summer. My ILs came and started using ‘their’ room. My mil would not even sit in the living room n just say ‘Oh its too hot, am off to a/c’ in front of my parents and would go and lock their room from inside knowing fully well that my parents don’t have any a/c room to be off to. We could not share our bedroom with parents much because of two infants and all their things scattered around and me being a c-sec patient. It was never ever considered an option that ils could share their bedroom with my parents. We could not dare to even propose such an idea considering my mil’s attitude towards them. In fact the fact that parents were suffering was never even an issue for them. My dh tried to get a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand A/C for the third room and as some people came for that purpose my mil was audibly voicing her irritation over the disturbances these people were making by talking and all. Once I tried to fit the living room cooler in their room at night only to hear from mil that fil could not watch tv in the living room because of that. So ultimately nothing could be done and my parents continued to sleep without A/C until they were finally packed and sent off.

After one year at the time of my dds’ birthday when my ils came, my parents were not there as we cannot invite them in presence of my ils. The A/C of my ils room stopped working suddenly and my mil and fil took it absolutely for granted that we will share our bedroom with them. They didn’t even ask if we wanted to and just ‘told’ dh to arrange for an extra bedding in our room and we had to do it. They shared bedroom with us in our presence and absence till their A/C was repaired. Nothing could be said to them. When it was repaired and they moved back to their room I could not control myself and mentioned that ‘yes it is very difficult to be without A/C in this summer, my parents had to do it though’. For this she did not look at my direction for two days and gave silent treatment to me for a week and told my dh that she is ‘depressed’ and feels like going missing.

I know its been long and I should move on. But am simply not able to. Its not my parents discomfort that pains me, its the utter disrespect with which ils treated them and the sheer confidence with which they refuse to have an iota of realization as to what they did is what pains me the most. Till today ils claim it was my parents who were at fault for 'interfering' their household conveniently forgetting the fact that they were here because ils were NOT here. When i think of the sheer wrong they did and are still doing and how helpless i am in face of that wrong i feel my head in fire, my limbs shake and feel a complete nervous breakdown to the extent that i feel too tired from within to even attend to the needs of my dds.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

2. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

I understand how bad it feels when parents who bought us up with same care and love as our DH are treated indifferently by IL's. But try to leave past behind and move on because as you said its hurting you from within and nobody else ( nor DH or IL's).

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

It is these things that stay in the heart for a long time.Your in laws are shamelessly selfish.Please feel free to let her know through comments. Let her get depressed and go missing.

You need to take a stand on how you will not let your parents be disrespected.Tell them in advance you will celebrate the second birthday of your dd at your parents because you feel your parents are disrespected in your home. Let your husband also know that you will no longer stand by and watch your parents be disrespected.Don't call them in summers till the third AC is fitted.

Learn to ignore their selfish comments.How does it matter if there was noise and she complained about it?Just let her do it.

How does it matter if they can't watch tv in the heat?..They can #%^ off to their AC room if they can't.Get a thicker skin dear.You need it with this kind of people around you.

9 people like this.
  4. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

If its really hurting you, why didn't you took a stand earlier? Why the second AC fitted room is considered as your ILs room, even in their absence? Why was the AC not fitted in third room, irrespective of anyone's inconvenience.

Sorry to say, if you are not standing up for your own parents, who else will?? Why to expect from your husband or ILs to treat them well if you are not doing anything specific for it other than just hurting yourself and piling it in your heart??

Start helping yourself and take matters in your heart to ensure a better state of mind and life for yourself!!

1 person likes this.
  5. internetmom

I know what you mean. But believe me, in our house, it was considered impossible to say or do anything not likable to pils. They would like a room to their own even in their absence as their stuff are there. Even when the house i mention is mine (its official housing allotted to me by my employer)

During their absence we made a small place for God and kept it in our bedroom as i was pregnant and very disturbed and felt it would be soothing for me to see god every night and morning. Even that caused problem when they returned and mil demanded the Puja place has to be moved to her room. And dh had to agree. Though after that there were a lot of problems and finally we did not. So now she has made another bigger puja place in her room and clearly mentions that as 'her' puja thing. She is not at all ready to share anything with anyone it seems.

6. internetmom

Second birthday has already happened dear. And dh did plan to have it in my parents place. With that there was a HHHUUUUGGGEEE problem with my mil calling my dh a 'gharjamai' and giving curse and taking oath that if we do that then she will not see her son's face for the rest of her life and he should not give fire to her pire after her death and what not. Result: second birthday celebration was almost called off by a frustrated dh and also myself with minimum ritual at home and without any guests whatsoever.

I baked a cake for my dds and we took them to temple. That's all. Till today ils complain that we deprived them of their wish to celebrate their own grand dds birthday because of 'outsiders'.

7. internetmom

You know what YM, i would have ignored her comments but the thing was she said all these things within my parents earshot. They heard all these and many more things like they are destroying mil's kitchen utensils, interfering in her house hold matters etc. All they have heard. I could not hide my face in shame in front of them when they had to face such insult in their dd's own house where they had come to serve their dd only. i just can't forget the burning of that feeling.

8. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

i totally understand how insulting it was to your parents, how you felt and how your heart wept for your dear parents.

what has happened is happened, going forward just make sure everything happens equally to both sides.
    if your DH is an understanding person it will not be very difficult

1 person likes this.
  9. yellowmango

OP...the problem is that you both cater to her melodrama .Every time she gets her way after throwing a tantrum.....she becomes a bigger and stronger monster.

Next time she says she will not look at her son's face...just ignore and walk away.If that is not possible...just say okay.

If she says she doesn't want son to give fire to her.....do the same. Say something generic like...who has seen the future?...or just okay.

I heard somewhere on this forum that the loudest bitch gets heard. She is just doing that.

Seriously....this is how she behaved with your parents in a house that you work for.C'mon girl....get your act together.

8 people like this.
  10. yellowmango

I would have immediately asked ..."Who are you calling outsiders here...is that my parents?How are they outsiders in their own daughters home?"...

In laws get away with too much because we are reluctant to question them.The moment we start questioning,they will think twice before making stupid comments.

12 people like this.