1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dilemma

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by pokemon, Oct 22, 2014.

1. pokemon

pokemon New IL'ite

I have been married for last 10 years and have been living most of the time out of India because of husbands job. In laws visited us during this time and like other in laws didn't leave any chance to make our lives miserable. My husband never stood up for me being a very submissive son. My mil passed away 2 years back because of illness. We were in India for almost a year to take care of her and she treated me in a worst possible way. My younger co-sis didn't even come to see her for the last time. Mil never accepted me as family member till her last breath. Lot of things happened in these 10 years which left me broken from inside. I have lost trust in my husband and I am on medication for depression. I am trying to forget the past and get on with life but guess the healing process will take some time.
    Now, we are again out of India and fil visits every year and spends few months with us. It is the same story with my fil as well. When he is with us life becomes difficult and new things keep on adding to the bad memories. My 9 year old kid senses the tension which makes me uncomfortable.
    I am just a maid for him who cooks on his order, he taunts at every little thing, will say mean things about parents, I am suppose to cook and clean even if I am half dead with my ongoing medical condition. Husband chooses to stay out of it, have no expectations now from his side.
    Recently my cosis has asked fil to stay separately in India as she can't tolerate him anymore. Fil has been pestering us to come back as he can't eat food cooked by maid (that is the only reason he wants us back).
    I don't want the bad days repeating but feel guilty about the whole situation.
    If we go back I would prefer him staying separately and we taking care of him from a distance.
    My husband will never agree to this arrangement and so will my fil. The whole purpose of we going back is me staying at home and do baby sitting for fil. I don't want to live with constant frictions which eventually will affect my kid.
    I am sure if we stay together life will fall apart and my husband is aware of that, he is ok with the current arrangement of we staying out of India and he visiting us few months but..... for how long? At some time we will have to go back for fil and I also have to think about the right time which is now for my kids education. Please pour in your thoughts ladies....I don't want to abandon fil at this stage but also want to live happily. Is it possible to get both things?

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If your husband doesn't interfere then give it back to your fil.Tell him...it is his nasty behavior than no one wants to stay with him...

Tell your husband that if he is ever planning to stay with fil...then he is to be his caretaker as you will not take care of someone who continues to abuse till the last day on earth like your mil.Tell him you have done it once...now he can take over.That should scare him into never going back to India. He just wants to outsource his share of seva to you in return for abuse and nastiness.

Next time the old man is nasty...just move away and refuse to do work for him.Refuse to cook...just order from outside.

7 people like this.
  3. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

It looks like you don't have much influence over moving back or staying abroad.

So, sit your FIL down and have a straight talk. Make the following points.

1. Highlight 4-5 key topics which he usually uses to assault you - back up with examples - say - this is the topic - this is the incident - this is how I felt - Not fair. Tell him that you are not asking for opinion or explanation - but simply telling this is how you feel at this point in time.

2. Next, tell him, you are ready to cook and care for him under following conditions going forward

a. No abuse
    b. No name-calling
    c. No demands
    d. Mutual respect
    e. Politeness

Give example for each of these 5 areas where he has hurt you in the past. Tell him this cannot work going forward.

3. Outline list of duties you agree to do for him.

Example:

1. 3 meals a day - 2 coffees a day - between 8-9 am ; 12-1 pm ; 8-9pm etc.
    2. Laundry of clothes
    3. Buying medicines

etc. I am just giving example.

Make it very clear at the outset - what will be your regular duties and what he has to do himself.

4. Tell him your expection

Examples:
    a. I expect you to wash your plate after every meal
    b. I expect you to buy milk every day
    c. I expect you to fold your own clothes and make your own bed
    d. I expect you to fold the newspaper after reading it
    e. I expect you to answer the door for the maid every day

However small or big, tell him what your expectations are.

4. Be compassionate and flexible and expect same:

Tell him that though you've outlined these tasks, it's not like he cannot ask you anything else. Tell him, anything he needs, if 'requested politely' will be made available to him. Tell him, the same is expected of him.

5. Define consequences: This seems to be a big problem area for you. At the outset, make it clear, what the consequences of breaking your mutual respect code will be.

a. If you order me around, I will tell you that this is unacceptable - you have the option of reasoning with me and we can try to solve amicably - but, if you continue doing it, I will stop things I do for you.

Example:

a. If you yell at me, order me around, say bad things about me or my family, be rude etc. I will cook and keep in kitchen - you have to serve yourself, no coffee will be made available - milk and coffee powder in kitchen, you can make it yourself. Your clothes will be laundered, but you will have to dry it yourself.

The key is - still do your duty, but show your displeasure by making life less convenient for him.

If he doesn't mind the inconvenience, completely stop.

Refuse to move in together if he cannot agree to a mutual-respect agreement.

3 people like this.
  4. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Dear op,
    You need to think why are they treating you this way. Need to know the root cause. I think you should abandon them reason being they have are your dh's father.

5. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

OP, You dont have to take the **** that your fil is throwing at you. Tell him outright what he is doing is wrong and you cannot tolerate it.

Donot give ears to his taunts or demands. Do whatever you feel like doing. If you are not well then don't cook. You have to make sure you stay happy and healthy. Your MIL, FIL or your Husband is not going to do that for you.

Take Care,

DS.

2 people like this.
  6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Tell your co-sis to send him food in tiffin box everyday.

3 people like this.
  7. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

OP,

This abuse is the reward of all the compromises and adjustments you have made to be a good DIL. Since your husband does not stand up for you, the onus is on you.

Don't be so good that FIL takes advantage of you. Tell FIL you will not tolerate abuse in your own home. If he doesn't like your cooking, why doesn't he cook himself? Whenever he finds fault with something you do, just tell him that is how you do it in your home. No other explanations.

Get FIL caretakers there. Ask him to change the cook. There are many decent cooks available. Tell him flatly that as much as you would like to care for him, you are not a cook.

Ask FIL directly why he is not staying with his other son's family back in India. Tell him it is more convenient, since that son is already in India. That will make him keep quiet regarding you moving back to India.

Whatever you do, do not move in with your FIL, as the situation will not improve.
    If you must, then discuss with your husband the option of the two of you staying in a different house. Make it clear to your husband that you can not tolerate any more ill-treatment in your own house.

1 person likes this.
  8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Sitting down and having a long discussion about the past, will be counterproductive imo. Deal this in the present. Start talking back to FIL. Whenever he misbehaves, there and then counter him, ask him for an explanation. Levy consequences if he treats you badly. See how that goes. You need to have a 'I have nothing left to lose, I already let go so many things' attitude. The squeaky wheel gets all the attention and the grease, not the silent one, which works no matter how much you misuse it.

Btw, you picked pokemon as username, does your 9 yr old do a lot of it? It could be his coping mechanism to escape the daily unpleasantness he sees at home and is unable to fix.

3 people like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Your co-sister and husband know what they need to do for their peace of mind. And are coolly doing it.

Go with the flow. Do you want to move to India? If yes, too bad. If not, just take it one day at a time. When husband says FIL needs you guys in India, coolly present a list of conditions, top one being living separately. You can send food in a tiffin box, and rest of the seva your husband can do.

If your kid is too old by then and education is a problem, present that as a reason for not moving back. Let husband deal with FIL's care. Tell him you are fine with living abroad and visiting FIL every few months.

3 people like this.
  10. pokemon

pokemon New IL'ite

Wish you all a very Happy Diwali.

Thank you for the replies and your valuable time ladies. I have never said anything back to my in laws till date and I don't think I would be able to do that in future. Blame it on my nature or respect for them as my husband s parents.
    Thank you Yellowmango for understanding my problem. My husband knows everything and is really scared to go back but will never agree to stand up for me according to him, he is doing everything he can do.
    Ordering food from outside is invitation to chaos at home. Sometime my kid and we all feel like to eat from outside or even when I am not in condition of getting up from bed, fil will keep taunting about it for many days after that. He expects me to cook just for himself. It is not like he doesn't eat out, he freaks out and eats whatever he likes but after coming home he needs home cooked food what so ever.
    Thanks Sripree for the suggestions...I will definitely remember those things. But honestly I don't want to stay with him, I wish well for him but don't want to be with him. I did try to vent out once by having a one to one talk but he simply refused to hear anything and behaved like nothing happened. I kept mumbling to myself. It didn't help really. In the past when mil was with us, he had a phase where he hated me so much that he didn't even want to stay in the same room, didn't eat food which I prepared, you can imagine rest of the things. I was insulted every moment they got. I stayed there just for my husband, I couldn't take it and my BP went up at alarming levels. Still I kept quiet. This is just to give you an idea of "super sensitive me".
    He doesn't care about his own grandchild, I don't expect any compassion from his side towards me or my kid. Few days back my kid was not well and was crying constantly, my fil didnt even ask once what happened or why is he crying, he just ate his food and carried on with his business.
    Thanks for replying dsmenon. Loved your profile pic, do you have the puppy? I agree with your every word. But when you are a stay at home mom it is difficult to do whatever you want.
    Thanks hrastro for the suggestion. My co-sis is really headstrong and I am sure he will not get any kind of help from her now.
    Thanks Rihana and nb25. That is how I would prefer but looking at the circumstances, I don't think that will be an option. If we stay, we cant go back for next few years and my husband is not ready to talk about it right now. I know being nice doesn't pay you in a good way. I have lost faith in God and people.
    Thanks 1Sandhya. I didn't understand what you mean? Pokémon is a cartoon which my kid is crazy about and he is a very sensitive kid. Replying back to fil and making him understand the consequences is having frictions at home and loosing peace. He is not a kind of person who will take things quietly. It is like inviting drama and chaos which I don't want around my kid. I have explained it in my first post. I know if we stay together life is not going to be peaceful and staying apart will be the only option which will keep relation alive.
    Thanks Indubalaram for you suggestion too. I haven't understood the reason even after 10 years and I don't know if I will ever understand. Sometimes I think I married their son and that is the only reason.