1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

cunning parents-in-law went to my relatives' house and bad-mouthed me

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Aimi, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Aimi

Aimi New IL'ite

Hello,
    I have been married for a few years and my parents-in-law keep trying to create problems and bullying. (My FIL is so crude that he even told me once that he will hit me and 'straighten me out'.) They have complained about me to my parents and to my brother also that I 'dont listen to them and dont do what they tell me to'. So I had a confrontation with them, after which they were behaving themselves for some time. Behaving themselves= they are mean to me wherever they can be, but they stopped trying to bully me.

I have been civil in my interactions with them, and when they come to live with us for some time I look after them well and do all the housework and cooking (my MIL is very lazy and does nothing, even in their house my FIL does the housework and MIL lazes). I dont think its fair that I alone do all the work, still I do it as I want to maintain the peace and move on.

Since last few months they are again cooking mischief. They have really unreasonable expectations such as they want a joint family now ie, to live with me and my husband now. (My parents-in-law did not live in a joint family with their parents, nor is their daughter (my SIL) living in a joint family with her parents-in-law). Yet they want to creep into my home and live permanently with us.

My husband said no to them gently, so they are damn mad at me for that. They are set on revenge on me now. They had already bad-mouthed me to my parents and bro's family. Now they have bad-mouthed me to their intimate relatives (such as daughter, son-in-law)....then to extended family....such as their brothers, sisters etc...then to distant relatives such as their cousins, daughter's inlaws etc...

I am unable to control this as they dont do it in front of me, but I get to know about it later from others. Also, they make mean comments to other people in front of me such as 'you are so lucky you have a good DIL' etc....

I really didnt want to get into their mean business and have fights as I would rather lead a good life and look at good things in life.

However, now they have crossed all limits, as of late they have gone to my ancestral home and my cousins home's etc and bad-mouthed me there. Actually my PILs actually dont really know all these people, but these vicious PILs just went to their homes, introduced themselves as my PILs and sat there talking for hours and kept slipping in mean nuggets about me into the conversation. I got to know this from my cousins (cousins told me indirectly.)

I am really pissed about this back-stabbing that they are doing. These PILs are really cunning and attack wherever they can. They have destroyed relations for me from their side of family, but this strategizing and seeking out my relatives one-by-one and wrecking wherever they can for me....I really hate these unscrupulous, cunning, mean, attacking, vengeful PILs.

I can confront them about this,but they will flatly deny they said anything and I cannot prove they did all this. Also, is confronting them really helping anything? I dont think so. I would like to arrive at a solution.

Also, what pisses me most is that after all these vicious episodes with me, the moment they need help, fall ill they will simply come to our house and stay and expect to be taken care of !!!! They will be the old people that we cannot desert.

My husband understands that their behaviour towards me is very bad, but now if he questions them then that will also be a huge issue that I taught their son to oppose them.

I hope someone has some good suggestions on what is the way forward. (I cant really approach my parents as my dad had multiple heart surgeries this year and my mom is dealing with looking after him).

2. friendlygirl

friendlygirl Silver IL'ite

Hi Aimi

I completely understand your situation since my mom had to go through something similar when she was young.

First things first, DON'T bother about what she is saying to others.you cannot control them. The more they realize that you are affected by it , the more they will cause you hurt. Same goes with relatives. You reaction to tgis should be no reaction.

You know your worth your husband is supportive, why bother.

You have made it clear that you are not interested in staying together, whixh is great!!!! Be happy that this is nipped in the bud early on.

They will continue to complain about you to evryone they see, you continue to be your happy self to everyone.

My mom, had to go through smae thing, the toughest part was my dad couldnt even say anything like your husband did. My grandmother bad mouthed her every chnace she got and she is 84, she still does it. My mom wasted major part of her life, defending and justifying her actions to everyone in the family. Neither did the relatives support her nor did het mil stopped complaining. But slowly recentlu my mom ignored everything and is living her happy self, as expected relatives are on our side..eventhough mil is still the same.

The reason I brought this up is because, please donot waste your precious life getting affected by this.

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

They are what they are...small hearted hypocrites.
    Let them know that you know what they do.Say it in front of your husband but don't ask for explanation....just move away from the place.

Next time they are sick and come to you...remind them of all they have said about you.Do your basic duty....better still keep a maid to look after them while you go about your usual work.

If the question of joint family ever comes up...ask why they never lived in one and why your sil doesn't live in one.Besides this, ask them why they want to live with a dil that they feel the need to badmouth to every one.

If he ever talks about hitting or straightening you out....tell him there are laws to deal with such stuff.

sindmani, nb25 and Weasly like this.
  4. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

I think if you ignore this, this will never go away.
    Get some direct examples from your cousins what they said..tell your husband. meet your inlaws in person, both you and hubby. Tell them point blank that you don't like what they are doing. Have your hubby do the talking. If they say no, tell them you can call your cousins immediately.
    Or you can ignore and let that not bother you

5. Aimi

Aimi New IL'ite

INPUTS NEEDED PLZ: cunning PILs went to my relatives' house and bad-mouthed me

Thank-you friendlygirl , yellowmango and Jazmine for your replies. Its validated my feelings and given me some pointers on the way ahead.

However, I have got some confusion:
    So far I survived these PILs by not reacting to their mischief. So it was not fruitful for them to do mischief as I didn’t react so far. However this bad-mouthing me to my cousins and my other relatives is really getting on my nerves and I want to put an end to it by confronting them. However, if I confront them they will discover what really bugs me,how to push my buttons, and can continue to do more of this mischief (since this is bad-mouthing me behind my back I cant really catch most such instances.)

Or is there a third option? I would love to hear more ladies with their opinions on this tricky matter. THANKS

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You can say..." I have heard some really stupid people have been bad mouthing me to my relatives.How stupid are these people?Don't they realize my relatives know me well?"

If she reacts...then her secret is out.
    If she doesn't...then you know that she knows what you meant and had to keep her mouth shut even when you called her stupid.

7. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

LOL!!! laugh1smiley

YM, I really love reading your words of wisdom, and such hilarious advice. kneesmiley

1 person likes this.
  8. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

Also, when the relatives come telling you 'Your MIL was saying ...'. Act all surprised and hurt and tell them 'She never told me all this, she always says i am very good'.gigglingsmiley

sindmani, yesican, nb25 and 2 others like this.
  9. ramya1979

ramya1979 Bronze IL'ite

I loved this. Good one...Its Called Positive attitude.

1 person likes this.
  10. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

This is exact reason I prefer to keep my relatives away from my in law.I just make sure that they don't meet my relatives often.
    I also letting my relatives know that mil has habit of badmouthing.

sindmani and (deleted member) like this.