1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

past anger

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by dorito, Oct 17, 2014.

1. dorito

dorito New IL'ite

i got married 4 years ago. at the time of my wedding my in laws didn't give any gift...nothing :( as i am not indian i didn't mind at the time but now i feel really angry about it. my in laws aren't a rich family my husband is the one supporting them, i have an elder BIL who got married before me and his wife got a simple gold set and all household furniture, fridge, bedroom set, cooker etc. from my MIL (all which my husband paid for). it just makes me so mad that they didn't give me anything. i have a great relationship with my MIL but time to time this anger comes. is it a stupid thing to be angry about? i know if i was indian i would have at least got something, i feel like they got away with a "free" wedding.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If you were Indian...your parents would probably have to pay for the wedding and gifts for in laws.

Most Indian dils would be grateful for having a great relationship with mil.

Forget about the past ...enjoy the present.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Hi dorito, you said you have a great relationship with your in laws right? Yes , they
    should have gave something as a gift but they did not give. Usually in laws give golds.
    Enjoy your relationship with your MIL. May be in the future she will realize her mistake
    and give you something.

1 person likes this.
  4. dorito

dorito New IL'ite

i know i am lucky, thats why i didn't want to post this thread but you know women its hard for us to forget stuff, her other DIL always fights with her, never takes care of her, im the one who never has any argument and every time we go there bring a full suitcase of gifts for all

5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

May be she will leave you all her jewelery in her will....who knows.:coffee

2 people like this.
  6. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

ROFLOL!!!!!! yeh sure!!

7. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

I am guessing she just found it awkward to make your husband pay for the gift she got you on your wedding!!!

3 people like this.
  8. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

It's better than getting some jewellery and then being told that it was modified before you got it.

I have been wearing the engagement ring given to me since my engagement. It is very old fashioned, and apparently belonged to my DH's grandmother. So even though the pattern is not to my liking, and is also quite loose, I have kept it. Every time I even broached the subject of having it re-set, or re-sized for me, there is a whole drama at home.

Just came to know recently that it had an emerald and diamonds on it. But just before our engagement, MIL had the emerald removed and put a "red stone" because she liked the emerald a lot.

Doesn't stop me from wearing the ring. She kept quiet for so many years, she could have done so for ever.

SO...ultimately, it is better to have the good relationship you have with PIL than the jewellery that you did not get.

1 person likes this.
  9. Alildream

Alildream Gold IL'ite

I am luckier than most dils...my mil gives me LOADS of Jewellery every time...the catch is that it is artificial...u know the kinds they sell on the roadside outside temples or in melas... She even stocks up on those to hand me one festival at a time. She is planning to gift me an artificial hand me down necklace (no, she hasn't even bought it with her own money) for my baby shower!
    But when it comes to taking my Jewellery there is no hesitation. Apparently by diamond jewellery pieces suit her better than me! :spin

1 person likes this.
  10. Alildream

Alildream Gold IL'ite

Op, u don't have sil do u? If so...I would not get my hopes high...

1 person likes this.