1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mother in law forcing me to get pregnant

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by nb25, Sep 20, 2014.

1. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

One day, my husband and I were on Skype with my MIL and FIL. We had barely completed 2 months of marriage. Out of nowhere, my MIL asked me if I had missed my period. She asked me if I was pregnant. I was completely unprepared for this question. I sad no. Then she asked me when was the last time you spoke to your parents? I said three days ago. She said - Then you probably don't know your parents are looking at babies everywhere when they go out. Your mother said she wants a grandchild. Your father went to the park, and there were kids everywhere. He said he was looking at the kids and thinking - This is what your kids would look like. Your parents want grandkids soon. So you did not miss your period? Your mother told me you had. That's why I asked.

After this, I called my mother and asked her whether she had said anything about grandkids to my MIL. I knew my mother would not pressurize me to have kids just 2 months into marriage. My mother said that she had told MIL- It was too early to have children, and that we should enjoy our marriage now, and not worry about kids for another 2 years (I am quite young and that is what me and DH want).

My mother had just mentioned that my father was missing me, and looking at some kid at a party my father had said that If I had a child, it would look like that, that the child had similar features as me. My mother also said that my MIL was the one who was talking about grandkids the entire time after that. My mother told me she thought it was too soon for us to have kids. But my MIL did not notice it, and continued talking about how it was time to have grandkids. I have never missed a period after marriage, so it just seemed weird that my MIL said that my mother told her I missed my period. There was no talk about missing period or pregnancy.

My DH finds nothing wrong with whatever MIL said. MIL had talked to my DH about having kids just 2 days after our wedding. She had also told me to have kids as early as possible. DH had got angry with MIL then, as both of us don't want kids for 2 years at least. He had told her we would wait for 2 - 3 years. So, I was not expecting her to bring this up so soon again.

Anyway, she continued rambling and did not give me time to say that I was not pregnant. Also, I was a little surprised at her question, and did not know what to say. Anyway, my DH found fault with me. He said I was being rude on the call. I was just surprised and hurt, and did not want to interrupt MIL when she was speaking, out of respect for her. She was going on and on without stopping once. I told him I knew my mother did not want grandkids now and she never mentioned anything about missed period to my MIL.

He says there was miscommunication between my mother and MIL. My MIL just got the wrong idea that I was pregnant! He also said his mother would never pressurize me to have a child. He also said I should call his mother more often and get to know her well so I can understand how good she is. DH also said that his mother is not the villain I make her out to be. I only told him the facts as I knew them, without saying anything about his mother. I just said how it made me feel.

Later, she apologized, saying she had got the wrong idea from my mother. I told her that whenever I got pregnant, she would be among the first to know. We would tell her if there was any thing.

Barely 10 days later, we are on video call with her again, and all she can think about talking is who has had how many kids recently, and how some people who waited to get pregnant have had complications, and no children after 5 years of marriage. This time, I just nodded and said "Yes" whenever appropriate.

She is not yet 60, and in excellent health. Yet she makes DH saying she is old and lonely. She wants to see grand kids before dying. And then DH tells me that MIL will always talk about wanting grand kids, since she is old and lonely, and wants to see grand kids before dying. So, I should put up with it.

I have tried to tell DH that I can not have her pressurizing me into having a child, as that is our decision alone. But he says this is no pressure. What can I do? I feel so angry that MIL does not respect our decision. If I say something, I am rude. If I don't, then too I am rude.

How do I convey to her that we do not want a child now. And that we do not like to listen to others' pregnancy and childbirth experiences?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

2. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

Any chance that she is truly anxious and concerned about you? If you can, give her the benefit of doubt and tune her out without hurting anybody's feelings. Tell yourself "Elders are like that only":p It is like moms who pester children daily "Have you studied well?" well ahead of exam. All in good will.

3 people like this.
  3. Grihani

Grihani Gold IL'ite

Do not convey anything to her, it only drags on the conversation and complicates the matter. She will annoy you with her advises even more and will try to talk you out of it. I would either keep quiet, just smile and nod, or say ..ask your son, or ...in some situation, whenever God thinks I should have. I use..."HIS wishes and whatever he has in store" a lot with elders, they will have no answer after that....will just say yes yes and leave you alone gigglingsmiley

As long as she is not treating you bad, ignore it. She certainly cannot pressurize you to 'act' ..its something only you two can plan :)

3 people like this.
  4. Grihani

Grihani Gold IL'ite

I disagree with this, its not mom's syndrome, its MIL's. She would not do this to her own daughter after just 2 months of marriage. She can bug her son about it but she prefers to bug her DIL.

No, there is no concern or anxiety, just the urgency, some selfishness ...also to see if the DIL is actually fertile enough to give her grand kids...yea, that anxiety is possible.

2 people like this.
  5. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Uff , action plans for dil:
    short term plans after marriage: have babies
    long term plans after marriage: cook !!
    whn will mils change?! shakehead
    Just sweetly divert the topic as soon as it arises!!

friendabc, nb25, sirila29 and 6 others like this.
  6. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

Just 2 mths into marriage?? Enjoy your rosy period gal.. a child can wait for say another year or so.. Regarding your MIL, I will say "Ignore". Just flaunt a smile whenever she says abt a child. If you feel she's over interfering, keep your distance.

2 people like this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

enjoy this time.
    And tell your mother to not talk so much. If she is missing you, she should directly tell you, not your mil who will hear what she wants. There was absolutely no need to relate the incident about your father and the kid, it was bound to be misconstrued. Esp knowing your mil is like this right from 2nd day of marriage she was basically pouring oil on fire. Tell your mom this topic is off limits.

3 people like this.
  8. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Dear op

The more you feel uncomfortable the more the topic will surface.You cant take the typical MIL attitude off them.

A MIL is your DH mom,so dont criticize her in front of him.He knows her better than you so when he says she is the nagging type, accept it.If the going gets tough redirect the queries to your DH.He will be in a sweet position to answer her.

Appreciate your MIL for all her good qualities.Deviate her talks to topics where you feel comfortable.Get to know her more to bring variety in your talks.(your H idea)

Ask recipe's from her ,this is a sure way to win her love.Give her best mom title if you had to .This is what your H expects from you.

Lastly may be if somebody in the family found it hard to conceive after waiting for 2 to 4 years and getting treated.This could be the reason for her true anxiety.In that case its your turn to pacify her with a good explanation (we dont take tablets or i have age in my side).Give a reason if you are comfortable , no use getting angry with her

2 people like this.
  9. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

Just have lots of topics to talk about handy for example harmless gossips etc. in which mil may be interested and bring them out as need be to distract her. When she brings children issue up blush, smile and show u r very shy/ uncomfortable to talk about this topic with her and cleverly change the topic. After u keep the phone down just forget about it and dont let it affect u.

What i did not understand is why is ur husband accusing u that u were rude to Mil when clearly u were not ? Does he expect u to be super obedient dil and W ? In that case his expectations are a cause of worry as you should be able to stand up for urself when needed and he should not get offended for ur doing so.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When she brings up the topic on the phone, give a pause. A pregnant pause at it is called. This pause is crucial.

Then, when all on the speaker or video phone are paying attention, ask her if she can suggest some good positions of IC which will increase the chance of getting pregnant. If that is too daring, you could ask her which are the good days to TTC - 11, 13, 15, 17 or 10, 12, 14, 16.

If that fails, respond to her questions with a sad and heartfelt, "It is all in your son's hands, amma. Ask him." Then leave the room on some pretext with a casual, "I'll be back in a minute."

If that doesn't shut her up, the next month try this. Ask her if late night is better or early morning is a better time for getting pregnant. If she persists, in a mysterious tone say, "It is all the stress. So much stress." And go out of the room. Let your husband explain the stress to his mother.

With time you will learn to give smart responses that are funny but not rude. Next time she asks if you had your period yet, tell her, "One moment, let me go check. Will be right back." Or, turn to husband and ask him, "Have I had my period this month? I can't remember. Do you remember?"

I am on a roll here! Another option when she asks if you had your period this month, turn to your husband and ask him, "When was the last time we ....?" If your period dates are to be discussed across international phone lines, why not the last time of IC.

imhappy, dsmenon, nb25 and 8 others like this.