1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Snooping or eavesdropping on in-laws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by persecutedDIL, Aug 29, 2014.

1. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

Inspired by another thread(s):
    Has anyone ever accidentally overheard, eavesdropped or snooped conversation of in-laws ? What did you discover ? I am not talking about conversations which they want you to hear, but rather their conversations about you and your family of origin which they didn't want or expect you to hear.

I would be really interested in knowing what they say about me and my family as I have never understood why they behave the way they do. Never eavesdropped nor accidentally overheard.

2. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

I don't need to eavesdrop she purposely says it loud and clear so I can hear. I don't give two hoots what she thinks about me or my family , after all who is she a regular human being like everyone else. If it makes her happy to talk about me all the power to her. Other family members have told her its rude and she does not do it, so she finally stopped. Who cares what she thinks about you, live your life hun.

5 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I believe everyone should be able to vent to someone about whatever they want as it prevents bigger eruptions.I vent to my mom ...my mil vents to her sister....
    I really don't want to hear what they really feel deep down in their heart and I don't want them to know what is in my heart.This way everyone stays sane.

6 people like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What a nightmare it would be to be able to hear what other people are thinking about us! There have been instances when I could have heard conversations about myself, but I chose not to. I prefer to be ignorant and happy. What I don't know, doesn't hurt me.

4 people like this.
  5. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

I have not heard, but unfortunately my husband has heard MY in-laws, meaning his own parents talking badly about the two of us. He shared it with me, at which point I told him that I was used to hearing stuff, and that he was shocked only because he never thought his parents would talk ill of him.

6. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Sanity to prevail better not to. If you do then it doesn't stop with the hearing, you would react in one form or other and it will be a bigger mess than what it is.

2 people like this.
  7. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

over hear many times.....not about me or family but like their opinion on small action...
    i over hear either they think they r whispering or my ears too sharp...

Does it hurt me...yes , not the statement but in general...as in why do they care to comment or give their opinion when they do not know why it was taken or was taken for their good or action was so small does not matter to comment...

but in manyways it helps me clarify thing as i am just talking about it not answering to their conversation i overheard.

FIL to MIL:"why did she have to say no to grapes when we just went grocery shopping 2 days back and today she went an bought, such a waste of time"
    MIL:"bhagwan jaane, if she had come early instead of shoping for grapes today , we wld have been done "

Me sometime later to whoever:"i just got the grapes today as it goes soft fast in this weather and then i have to throw away, let's finish it soon....so it does not go bad"

so first part conveys why i did not go 2 days back n waited for existing to get over and then buy due to weather....

so so many things like that

8. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

:mrgreen: ignorance is bliss - so much that I stopped hearing to myself.

2 people like this.
  9. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Yes, I have heard FIL saying some things to MIL abt me, my work.... Neutral, Positive, Negative, all....

So I know that it NEVER is a good idea. Better not hear it at all, and remain at peace.

Looking at it positively, I think that it is better they are saying any negative things among themselves, and care enough not to hurt me by openly criticizing me.

Of course, I find it amusing that they are so reluctant to praise openly, even if they see some thing definitely good

10. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

When you have co sisters you dont have to snoop.

3 people like this.