1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

feeling frustrated

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by mother80, Aug 28, 2014.

1. mother80

mother80 Senior IL'ite

My pil are here in usa to help us out with our 2 yr old kid. When we are busy they take full care of our kid including cooking meals for us. Lately they have been feeling home sick. My mil cried to me saying that she is feeling home sick. We try to take them around but as we are busy it's really hard to take them around all the time. Now my frustration started when my mil all of a sudden started acting all weird when taking my son out for a walk I asked her if she wants to come she said I m tired . When I came back then she went for a walk with my fil. She repeated it again I got so frustrated thinking what have I done. Like in my previous post I wrote that I m very outspoken may be I said something not knowing.
    Then my other frustration is my fil was having drink and he mentioned that they will buy a land and build a house with all of us living. My mil said that it can be just one story big house. My husband was there listening and didn't say anything as I had mentioned to him that I want to live in a different floor. I told him later that he should mention this to his parents before it's too late. My hubby said that it's not that they are buying the land today. His parents are very emotional I told him to prepare them from before , he just gives me a silent treatment. I don't know what to do?

Also I have started to stay in my room more than spending time with pil as when I spend too much time with them it seems like they end up not liking me talking so much as I get so open with them just like i would with my parents.

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

People say random things when drunk!! And buying a land, building a house.... do you even know the amount of time the process will take? If all this ever materializes, there will be plenty of time to "prepare" them! So don't sit and start stressing about something that is not even a concrete plan.

As for MIL/FIL going for a walk alone.... you have seen so many people in these forums complaining that they do not get alone time with their husbands when in-laws visit. The roles seem to be reversed in your case. If they want to spend time by themselves, what is the big deal? After dealing with an active toddler all day, they probably want some time by themselves. Why do you want to begrudge them that?

For all you know, if your husband really went and spoke to his dad about his land buying plans and home building plans, he would probably blink and wonder what he is blabbering! He probably doesn't even remember that he said such a thing!

5 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Nothing wrong with your mil's behavior Op.She takes care of your child all day and needs some personal time to herself with her husband.Be happy that she is giving you your personal space with your child.If she wants to go out with her husband.....send them off with a big smile and greet them back with hot tea.Remember...while you were out,they were also working at home.Besides they are older and get physically and mentally tired faster.

Your husband is absolutely right here.Right now it is a dream castle....Let them first buy the land and make plans.If you all are contributing too...then you can all be a part of the design planning and give suggestions.

Right now...just chill and enjoy your time. Give them their space so that taking care of your child remains an enjoyable experience for them too.Make them comfortable and show your appreciation for the help.You have no idea how lucky you are.Your mil wants to spend time with her husband rather than your husband alone or your son alone.

4 people like this.
  4. mother80

mother80 Senior IL'ite

Thank you all. The other thing that I am in a fix about is if I have been a bad dil. In the morning I don't make breakfast for them even if I am not busy I usually make my own breakfast when they are doing pooja after that my mil makes breakfast for her and my fil. Sometimes I feel bad and sometimes I don't. I don't know if this is bad or no. They will never complain nor to me nor to my hubby. Unless I have greatly disrespected them they never complain to my hubby.

5. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Why do you not make breakfast for them? Is it that they have special tastes and you don't know how to do it or is it that you just don't want to?

I can understand if you are running around and are busy, but when you don't have anything to do. Is that what you would do if you had guests at home?

1 person likes this.
  6. mother80

mother80 Senior IL'ite

Usually I am taking care of my toddler but majority of the times I am just sitting around. There taste is not different all they would want is bread milk or tea.

7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Then you should ask then if they would like you to make breakfast for them.

2 people like this.
  8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

IL-ites are super polite and sugar coat. They usually sugarcoat when needed to bitter medicine to OPs.
    mother80 - can i put it bluntly -if ur purpose is to get honest feedback, u can do lot better to take care of the nice mil and fil. Stop ur laziness and make decent brkfast (when u can). Dont like my direct post, so be it.

4 people like this.
  9. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP, can we exchange our ils please....(just kiddingsurrendersmiley).

2 people like this.
  10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Why are you thinking of problems where there are none? I usually eat cereal or something in the morning, MIL eats oats and FIL eats whatever MIL gives him! I usually just let MIL make their own breakfast because FIL is quite choosy and I think it is best to leave them to their tastes! And MIL likes it that way because she also that way thinks she has something to do in the house.
    In the evenings, I would feel like eating noodles or something which they won't, so usually even in the evening, I tell them to make what they want for themselves and not bother about making dinner for me. I am guessing it is the same in your case too!! I have never felt that I am a bad DIL or anything.

I think it is good that you're letting her have her way in the kitchen.. she probably feels at home actually being able to do what she wants.