1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My bro's problem with SIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Anamika99, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

My bro got married recently
    arrange marriage
    he was very clear that he will not have fun time for 2 yrs or so as he is doing very very very advanced studies. Everything needs to wait...travelling, socializing, shopping for home etc.

before marriage only my SIL (his wife) agreed and was ok with.
    But now, she keeps making new plans - for fun...including travel. My bro keep explaining her that he cannot afford to miss his studies as it is very tough. 34 hrs in 24 hrs he works (yes i mean it)

He is ok with ocasional outing for a day or two, but not for big vacation and not much outing very often.....no shopping time to get house in shipshape or hobby shopping (say shopping for hiking)

SIL would listen to him and understand and then will go back to her original self in a week. Over all she is nice (knock on wood, so good so far)

she is highly qualified as well n working....

how should my brother handle her nicely (since telling her upfront nicely has not worked well) so these demands stop - and it is a question of another 14 months. After that if he finds a job(and that will happen only if he does well now and SIL knows it) then things will be super cool for them

2. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

Hi

u r thinking from ur brother side alone.... think from ur sil side...atleast she listens to what ur brother says... the only way is whenever she asks for such plan... ask ur bro to talk calmly about his situation... yes he must do that everytime...only a few words...cant he do that for a wife who is ready to wait....

1 person likes this.
  3. meetmeonline

meetmeonline Gold IL'ite

My question is why the wedding happened in first place?? Why it could not wait till his studies are completed... Its not very easy thing to balance in such situation. Its great to know she agreed for all the stuff. Well, if still sometimes she wants fun or shopping, your brother have to sometimes agree and sometimes disagree politely. It is best he says gently why he does not have time for shopping and all on that day. Explain situation... It happens to all of us right, example we are busy or have so many things lined up on weekends to finish and spouse says, cant you find time to go out or meet some friends. Normally, we take out time from our busy schedule or sometimes we gently explain why we need to complete these and would not find time out.
    When both partner 's are working, ofcourse time for fun reduces. The thing is if you want something you have to give up something else.In your brother's case same thing applies. Both the partners needs to prioritize things.

4 people like this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Your SIL seems to be raring for a break. With her husband. Quite a fair thing to ask for too. If he shuffles things around to take a couple to days of, it would be great. Alternately he could encourage her to take a vacation with her family. Or some friends. Tell her sweetly that much as he wishes it, he really won't be able to go with her, and he hates disappointing her by saying no, time and again. So, really she should take a trip.

i can understand he is super busy. It might also help if he surprises her with flowers or a gift or a candle out dinner just to make her feel special. The extra attention could soothe her a bit.

1 person likes this.
  5. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your reply.

i m not thinking from my brother's side but i unerstand him what he is going through in terms of work pressure (his work and study is the same thing)

what he does not like is that everytime pressure builds up from SIL to go and do something - it is not time only spent doing the activitiy but after effect physically. he cannot afford it as there are days he is working for whole week with 2-3 hrs sleep in a day. and he had made this very clear to my SIL before she said yes.

he does not like to say no everytime so there are times he ends up saying yes even when he cannot go out just because he had said no last time.

he has been telling her calmly and she understands but then she ends up again planning...so he is looking for 'strategic' talk so it works out...and i m out of idea.

why wedding happened. : this is not his bachelor's or something , he is doing super specialization in his area so he was nearing 40 and so wedding needed to happen.
    we had been looking for his partner for past 10+ yrs n did not work out for unfortunate reasons..either gal did not like him or he did not like the gal. this time both liked each other and my borther was letting this candidate go also if she wld not have agreed to his lifestyle expectations for next 1+ year after wedding.

so yes looks like he has to keep talking to her everytime she proposes something. he was just trying to avoid that as it creates different pressure - having to say no everytime.

6. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

yes it happens to all of us....getting busy ...it is just that this yr critical for him to make progress and the rest of his life would depend on it for the career and if he does not do well (way beyond expectation) this year and if he does not find a job - he will have to go out of USA for 2 years before he can come back and his wife can not leave due to her visa status. they new this risk before getting married and they knew he will have to totally focus on his studies to avoid this situation so the separation of them does not happen

7. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

She is caught between rational thinking and emotional side.logically she get what her husband is telling her but emotionally she longs for his attention.

2 people like this.
  8. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

She is caught between rational thinking and emotional side.logically she get what her husband is telling her but emotionally she longs for his attention.He just need to keep repeating till she gets it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

we can keep title like Sil's problem with brother. :)

Actually it's tough for newly wed wife not to expect anything from the husband even how much she is aware of things.

your brother should able fulfill small tiny tiny of her wishes and your SIL should look for more friends where she can spend some time.

10. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

@priya ...lol, all i wanted to use is SIL so it is justified to be in this forum ;)
    and yes, my bro spends time with her whenever it is possible.
    She does not have time killing issue.... they live apart, she has a full time demanding job as well. they meet twice a month or thrice a month...sometimes once a month. my brother understand if they r meeting once a month only ...he gives his 100% to her. but when it is more than that then for him time does not align such that he is off for all those three or two times in the month and yet he has to accommodate this needs become big thing for him. and there are time when she comes from her city ...my brother has worked for constant 36 hrs for past weeks and has a need of just crashing, and then spend quite time with her instead of going out to the beach or other places.

i totally agree on tiny needs she has...my borther tries his best to meet...

- she likes her house super clean ...and my bro is a mess, so he makes sures everything is tidy up when she is coming...in spite the schedule, he somehow does that
    - same thing for organization...
    - watching more meanigful movies....after very tire some work...having to see death at work my bro prefers funny and light movies but SIL likes meaningful movies so he still makes sure he watches those instead of his funny ones when she is around
    - she likes he cooks for him sometime, so he plans on having meals cooked by him when she is coming...
    - she likes to be pampered (of course newly married) , he thinks of gifts to give it to her everytime...even as small as just a thoughtful book mark... or flowers...

@iamagoodgirl: yes, i think u have the right words, i will use that for my bro to understand my SIL....probalby it will help me talk everytime if he wld understand where she stands in her mental state.