1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

pressure for using gifted clothes

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Iamagoodgirl, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

Before and after marriage I was given dress materials and saries as gift on different ocassions from in laws side mostlay from MIL and SIL.

My SIL has been pressuring me to wear those saries and dresses.I have wear on some ocassion just to satisfy them.But my sil is still not happy.When ever there is a function she come to me and suggest me to wear her gifted sari or dress.If I refuse telling her some excuse she goes to MIL and complain about me.She spread it among her relatives that they have given those saries dresses with so much love but I dont wear it.I disrespect and hurt her feelings doing so.

I don't know what to do.Her choice is different than that of me.I just dont like wearing those colors and styles.

What shall I do.Shall I just continue to do what I do and let her keep spoiling my name on my back.Shall I just tell her upfront that I don't like to wear that stuff, I am worried thatwill create another drama.What do i do?

2. leftpost

leftpost Senior IL'ite

Since you have worn those dresses on several occasions than just tell your SIL politely that "I love those dresses and have worn them many a times, but I want to wear my other dresses too". Even If she complains after that let it be and ignore it. f your MIL comes and ask you about it repeat the same line. You don't always have to wear the dresses that you SIL or MIL has gifted you. If they pester you even after this, just say yes in front of them and wear whatever you like.

Just put your foot down politely and tactfully, If you'll tell upfront it will lead to a stupid emotional drama and you will end up becoming a big villain in front of the whole family.
    Hope this helps.

3. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

hi,
    Wear the dresses to a function thats held in SILs house. If not possible tell her that you are saving it for a special occasion or blouse not stitched or repeated on all photos as reason .If she is not still okay gift her unsuitable clothes and insist on her wearing it to all functions(give the same treatment).

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I just don't understand this control freak nature of people.How the hell do they expect adults to wear what they want? Your sil just doesn't know how to take a hint. Just tell her you you have a different style of dressing .Tell her you have worn the clothes a few times and would like to be have the freedom to decide what you want to wear .Also tell her to stop complaining to outsiders like a little child.

1 person likes this.
  5. urenigma

urenigma Senior IL'ite

some people can just be stubborn and as yellowmango rightly said dont know how to take a hint. I am assuming the dress materials that she gave might be churidar suits and salwar kameez? May be you can start wearing them at home during weekends or while grocery/short shoppings.. and just keep saying how u love the dress soo much that you just have the urge to wear it when ever possible. hopefully they will get worn out soon. :)

sarees i am not very sure.. may be you can try to patch it with laces n few designer works so that u can use it and wear it soon..

6. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

My mil has given me a deep red silk(i think its silk) very heavy sari! The weight of the sari is more than the combined weight of me n my new fridge!! She expects me to wear it! I tried wearing it once, i got tired trying to wrap it around me!! So i took a break in between! Then resumed trying, once i was done, i looked like a puffer fish! U see i am 5'2 , n a lot of it , i mean the saree has to be stuffed at the waist to mk it my height!! None of the saftey pin wud go all the way! I dont knw how to tell her its impossible for me to carry tht thing around! Its a disaster!! I am scared she might give another one the next time! Tht saree is the reason i paid extra for baggage at the airport!!

People who do not know other people's taste shud nt gift them clothes ! N if they do out of custom, forcing them to wear is worse!!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    7 people like this.
  7. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

That was funny!...may be not for you!

8. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Nope it wasnt!! :drowning :tongue

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  9. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

Try doing this: Wear all her gifted saris one after the another(for this attend a few extra parties), inform SIL you are wearing it and then pack them for good! Make a note of which one you wore where and take a snap of yourself on that occasion with others. After that if she insists, remind her you don't want to REPEAT dresses!

10. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Its your sils time pass....she laves home hoping that you wont wear her saree and she can pester you. Say OK with a smile everytime...time and again. Wear what you want to ...may be she will get the message..?