1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What to call her..Selfish??

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sweetestshweta, Jul 30, 2014.

1. sweetestshweta

sweetestshweta Gold IL'ite

Well by now you must be knowing the peculiar problem I have..Coz of dependent SIL and over biased MIL(towards her DD) and the flow of problems that keep coming every alternate day..
    I won't bore you all with what all is happening.I am trying to deal it as patiently as possible..
    What left me speechless and shocked was to listen to my SIL.I don't know what happened between her and my MIL but this weekend when she was here,she was trying to be very close to me-concerned about me and all.Plus she kept saying how authoritative and dominating her mom is,how she wants to have her way and she is just waiting for the right opportunity to have her house to herself and her kids-she can no more bear her own mom and that she wants to stay separately form her mom asap.
    I don't know whether this was a candid confession or just venting or a combined game of both of them or actually telling me that no doubt my MIL does everything possible for her DD(even if that means snatching from us),its the DIL who will have to take care of her in her old age-SIL won't do that..
    But she sounded very selfish.I might have my displeasure about my MIL's biases towards her DD and making our lives hell to ensure all the luxuries to her,I felt bad that a daughter could think of doing this to her mom-especially when mom is fighting for her with us!!MIL sends every penny(pension,rental and all the money taken from sons)to her DD and also is giving all the property to her.My jewellery is gone to her..And we are sending her money for everything.
    What do you think-is it pure selfishness and blabbering or some deep meaning I missed?

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Could be a plan.
    Just tell her with big innocent eyes...."really???....you are planning to get a job and become independent?"

8 people like this.
  3. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

It could be either of those things, remember blood is thicker than water, so don't pay attention and go about your business.

2 people like this.
  4. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

She does seem selfish. Next time when she says that, ask her about it. 'Do you feel SIL wont look after you?'

1 person likes this.
  5. TheUnhappyWife

TheUnhappyWife Silver IL'ite

Call her 'fickle-minded' and hence untrustworthy.
    Ask her not to criticize her own mother in front of you - as you find it irritating(read: fake)!

1 person likes this.
  6. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

All the game playing eh. I would say play along with it, that way she will have to continue being nice to you. So whats the harm in that. Also, record her bad mouthing her mother and keep it for the time when they both team up against u and give u a hard time.just play along be nice and then one day gently suggest about either finding her a nice guy to remarry or the prospect of getting a job to get away from her not so nice mum.

Hope she is not doing all this to tell u to keep ur MIL with u rather than her, from now onwards ? Where does ur mil live? with her or with u?

1 person likes this.
  7. sweetestshweta

MIL generally stays with us.But goes to her sometimes.Its like-whenever we are in need,she'll go..Whenever we are planning a vacation-she'll come back.Whenever SIL needs her(or her money),she'll go..Its according to her convenience.
    Right now,since I have a small daughter and I am looking after her all by myself and I have a new job and MIL doesn't get to play her tantrums,she stays with SIL on week days and comes with her every weekend..

I think,SIL is trying to make it clear that she cannot keep her mom with her in old age.And how its not her responsibility to look after her..
    She kept telling how her mom never supports her etc..
    Well she never had MIL or SIL,no in laws..
    And now she wants her mother too should be taken care by DIL.(Her kids are grown up,she doesn't need her maybe)..All rights and more than equal status and zero responsibilities..

8. sweetestshweta

Haha YM,
    She'll get an heart attack and run to her brother and mother accusing me of using violence on herlaugh1smiley

1 person likes this.
  9. sweetestshweta

You are right Sunshine..Thats why I didnt react..But i was a bit confused.She is not naive to say such things in heat of the moment types.But I was wondering whether both mother daughter are hands in glove in this!

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Tell your husband.Let him know innocently that sil was saying this about mil and you find it offensive that a daughter should talk like this about her mom who has done so much for her.Let him know that you didn't say anything because you didn't want to interfere between mother and daughter but you felt bad that she was bad mouthing mil after what all she has done for her daughter.:whistle

This way he will be in the picture if some bigger drama unfolds.He will also be kind of your witness.:-D

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.