1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

women at the root of women's problems

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by stillwaters, Jul 28, 2014.

1. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

hi all
    it is what we see in these forums - 99% of problems are always given by one woman to another , as mil to dil or vice versa

if we can ever ask our mils about her feelings when she was a dil we may all be able to relate to her experiences

similarly when we become mils we may have a better understanding of our mils of today.
    these experiences go around in families as a vicious circle
    but can this circle be broken ?

as women we always fail to realize our strength
    according to me in order to break this cycle 3 areas need to be targeted
    • upbringing of our sons
    • upbringing of our daughters
    • regulating our thought process as we grow older and enter into our role as a mil

all these areas can be solely influenced by women

i have started this thread to know from you friends if you agree with my thoughts and what are your suggestions about what steps should we implement in each of these areas to be able to have a better future for our girls.

4 people like this.

2. Natallie

Natallie New IL'ite

I myself maybe cant say too much about this as I am a foreigner, but also I think.it is very impirtant to break that horrible chain of MIL-DIL problems .Why it is happening like that?

3. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Hi 'stillwaters' ,

I have never believed 'Genders Wars' existed ! you are right ! Women are women's enemies, in majority of cases !

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

While women could be the root of women's problems, men seem to be the root of everyone's problems.

Think about all the wars, all the people killed, all the women widowed and all the kids orphaned.

So, don't alienate men. We too would like to be at the root of your problems. friendssmiley

4 people like this.
  5. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

I appreciate your generosity, buddy !:)

3 people like this.
  6. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

I totally agree, i was thinking of posting something similar two days back.

I have mentioned in many of my post that 'role playing happens'.

Over the priod of 15 years though we MIL and me, we had share of issues and there are some i can never forgive her for (and I am so sure i have not done any such thing she can strongly feel that way - so that you know two sides of the story) for some reason she feels connected to me and she tells me many things about her past and what she has suffered. When she tells me certain things, i connect right away why she behaves with me in certain way in that particular matter.

The other part come from being the queen of the house....MILs still cannot shake of control. And friction comes in.

Yes, as mother of this generation
    1) as mom of a son we shoyuld raise a sensible men break this vicious cycle of role playin
    2)as mom a duughter raise one who can fight back these issues easily
    3) As future MIL, leave our expecation behind and decide to be in nuclear family after son marries till old age calls for help

2 people like this.
  7. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

thank you all for your replies i want to add my suggestions for the solution of this problem

when we are bringing up our children we should treat both boys and girls equally
    while encouraging them to do well we should be very very careful , not to compare them with their siblings or friends and neighbors.
    this is what breeds insecurity and low self esteem which later brings jealousy and intolerance of anything good happening to the spouse. in these times when many brides are equally highly educated as the husband this is the root cause of many marital problems.
    no child should be brought up in such a way that he or she is the center of attention in the family. this makes them unable to accept another person in their life at an equal status as a pedestal can only accommodate 1 person
    the girl should not be treated as a temporary guest in the house but as an integral part of the family. she should be given that confidence that even after marriage her maternal home is also her home . this will give her emotional security and courage to stand up to any type of abuse. even after marriage parents should continue to take interest ( not interfere ) in how is their daughter being treated at her il house and take action if needed .
    i will keep posting some more things as i gather my thoughts bot please pour in your suggestions also.

and natalie - i have travelled the world and interestingly these mil - dil - dh problems are universal and based on the same issues it follows the principle of universal brotherhood

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  8. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

hi anamika
    welcome , i want to ask something
    by the time we become a mil we have already taken care of a home and children for many years
    so when a dil comes we graduate to the next level of seniority
    why not hand over the reins of the household to the dil and enjoy the new found freedom. if she is not experienced teach her thing lovingly like we will teach our daughters.
    genuine love always gets love in return - we have to believe that
    each stage in life has its own blessings. at that stage we can enjoy our hobbies , travel , chat with friends , watch tv , start paying attention to our health , enjoy with grand children . possibilities are endless.
    but few ground rules are a must
    be financially independent
    do not hesitate to ask your children to employ house help if needed
    relax your rules slightly to accommodate the new family member and her convenience
    never speak rudely or insultingly
    why should we think of staying away from our children we will be missing a very rich and fulfilling experience of our life
    little bit of common sense and maturity can give us a peaceful , happy and secure old age.

9. drnamshara

drnamshara Gold IL'ite

Disagree!! What if the DIL is not physically and mentally prepared for this due to any reason and MILS want of FREEDOM becomes DILs BURDEN?

I see around me (including my case) even the current day MILs have this feel that they want DILs to takeover the house hold right away or immediately after an year and they can start enjoying their 'freedom'!!.....but this in most cases is not conveyed or expressed in a reasonable way!!!
    Expecting that now that the DIL has come she has to take up everything and now that I have become a MIL I am done with all my responsibilities (sloughing) all these years, now I will rest and let the DIL slough....This attitude will only create more problems ESPECIALLY if it is a working DIL...
    It will be like not wanting a DIL, but rathera MAIDIL (MAID+DIL)

Rather it will be easier if after a decent workable agreement the reins are shared with the DIL rather than holding back fully to yourself or giving away totally to the new member!
    Any frank sweet and wholehearted conversation between the MIL and DIL AT THE VERY BEGINNING, regarding sharing of all the house hold responsibilities...will pave the way for smooth functioning of the family right from the start....It can be as basic as being organized and drawing a protocol with weekly or daily shared duties or a hand lent in every work!
    But not at the cost of BEING DEMANDING or BLAME-GAMING of course!

Takes 2 to bring about a clap...not a thunderous one but! :p
    :cheers

10. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

dear namshara
    if you read my full post that is what i am trying to convey

the other thing is that
    before a woman joins a work place she completes her studies and prepares herself for her role there , is it not necessary that before she gets married she should at least prepare herself mentally & skills wise to be able to fulfill her expected duties ? ( pl do not misunderstand i am not talking about abuse here )
    i do not think it is abuse if in laws expect a dil to know basic house keeping and cooking skills
    a working dil also should not automatically expect to not do anything at home because she is working
    the plan of action should be made amicably by discussing the ability , convenience , desires and work load of both mil & dil
    the situation should not be dealt by using accusations , abuses and taunts.
    the needs are different for all households and the solutions also will be individualized