1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who is wrong, the MIL or the DIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by FromMars, Jul 26, 2014.

1. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Okay ladies and ladies ( and some gentlemen who hang around here ),

After my unsuccessful attempt at trolling last friday, I have another idea for today :queen.:goodidea:

The question is, who is wrong. The MIL or the DIL.

I wish there were a forum where all the MIL hang around and we could hear nice interesting version of their side.

( Alas, no luck there. Or maybe they hang in the Non-Fiction side of this forum ?? The elder and the respected over there, never set a foot here, I wonder why)

That aside, I am reading the same stuff over and over. In-law issues (FIL, MIL, SIL, BIL)( so much that it has overflown from the In-laws forum to the Married Life forum.

But, can the left wing be always right?????

Are there any women who are in the Relationships forum, who have married kids??? At least 1?

I can understand that the women abroad might never become their MILs. But the women in India will someday have to live the life of their MILs right?

So, what I am asking is, can the MILs be ever right? Maybe there is some validity to their fears, worries, insecurities. If we decode this, maybe we have solution to all the problems which all DILs face?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    2 people like this.

2. bathalatha

bathalatha Bronze IL'ite

Yes there is a validity to their fears,worries and insecurities.
    I believe a wife who gets emotional security from husband will become a very good MIL and stops depending on son for emotional support or grow insecure after he gets married.
    So if a husband keeps his wife happy and support her,she does not have any time or necessity to interfere in her son's life.I have seen this happen in many families.
    But this is a cycle..not sure where this should be started given the situation of joint families in India..

18 people like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Neither. No woman is ever wrong. n :spin

If there is a FIL then it's him or the hubby or the BIL or the watchman or the driver. It's one of these men!

You can't ask a generalized question and expect anything saner than this.

4 people like this.
  4. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Your answer actually makes sense. If you look at it through the same lens as bathalatha projected.

I think sometimes it better to get out of a particular scenario, generalize it and look at it from different perspective. It will show us, what we won't see when tied to a single situation.

2 people like this.
  5. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

ME vs my MIL====>My MIL is always wrong

My Mom vs her DIL =====>Her DIL is always wrong

My MIL vs Her MIL========> My MIL is always wrong

MY Mom vs her MIL( my grandmom)======> My dad is always Right

15 people like this.
  6. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

There is so much wrong but neither MIL nor DIL.
    What is wrong is the situation, the tradition and the arrangement of the joint family.

There are cases DILs not doing right things and there are case MILs are not doing right thing. But situation will be ok if they were in nuclear family.

OK to take care of parents when they r old but do not see point in doing it if they r young enough

In India Marriage is called marriage of two families - but it rarely is - we say something and do something - hypocrites. It is is always gal coming to boy's home...so the gal is marrying to whole one family ...hmmmm one gal marrying so many of them...That is what wrong wrong wrong....

Marriage should be an institute where two independent adult individuals start their lives together and share each other's responsibilities including each other's parents ...but that is not happening - that is wrong...

The system is at fault

15 people like this.
  7. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

I see the joint family tradition dying and as with anything, I see whatever good it had dying too.

I think you hit a thought provoking point.

Maybe its not the fault of joint/nuclear family. Maybe its the fault of stay at home moms. They take care of everything and feel important. One day, the son gets married and the importance is threatened. Whatever the family depended her for, is done by a more beautiful, energetic person, better than her.

Now the mom doesn't have anything to do and resorts to fighting for her survival.

Maybe if she was a working mom, she would still be busy with her office and the DIL will be busy with her office and everyone will learn to focus on their careers, passions and instead of nit-picking, they will enjoy the time together.

Is this a Eureka moment by me???? :eek:mg: :yes: :exactly:

4 people like this.
  8. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

if she (MIL) was working, she wld want DIL to manage the way she did.
    There will be never sync in any case. There is generation gap hence different thinking as well.
    Like in one jungle there can't be two lions,
    two queens can't be in one house

7 people like this.
  9. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

:spin---> Spoiling my Eureka moment :drowning

But.....wouldn't the MIL be too tired coming back from work, to even care?

10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Too tired to care? Even if I'm one foot in the grave, I'll make time for such things if I really wanted to! I'm not giving up control of DH,DD,DS, maid, cook, driver and anyone else who has the misfortune to work anywhere near me. I'm the boss of the house and I'm not giving up on my domain!!!!!
    now you know what women think on these issues! Now you can find a solution for domestic bliss, which me and my MIL have hashed out years ago. I have my domain, she has hers. Neither one interferes in the other person's household. When we visit each other, we are guests in the other persons house and work around tgat person's rules. I think that's why we've avoided major issues so far. One house can have only one boss. Period.

12 people like this.