1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My lessons- for others

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Anamika99, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

I am posting this for thanking you guys for all the help.
    I am still in KG when it comes to being thick skinned or saying my mind..but thanks to you all i did a couple of times and seeing good results...so thought I would share and it may help others.

- First two weeks of my inlaws stay here with my SIL and her hubby. And a fight broke from my MIL for nothing (not going into details here as not needed) but my SIL also saw MIL was baseless. I also raised my voice instead of staying timid and said "i m sick n tired of being judge all the time for freaking 15 yrs" and my MILs typical weapon is "we will go back" i replied "Be my guest"

and things changed after that.....she is little scared of me and I like it :boo:

- I was so sick and tired of her telling me everything what to do in a micromanaging way , be it doign dishes, clothes or coooking....so this time i told her "she is growing old and should not be carryign any responsibiities...and i shd manage all" She wanted took the bait...she wanted to actually see if I can manage especially now that my son is much older and i run around a lot for classes an shcool projects....but i was confident...she did not come to help a couple of time but i still did all without rush , nicely and faster....and when she tries to come to help i added, that she i managed those days , i will manage now so not to worry" .

Yes for me it is more work but it is better than hearing her constant comment :yes:

- I my MIL is so dependent in everything from switichign on TV to going out.....she always wants me to be with her and when I am not there FIL. SO when i come home it was a big task for me just do everythign with her - watch the shows she watches, sit down in the night before i go to bed even for 10 minutes...and just keep talking constantly and listening to her relatives stories liek 1000 times....some of it still there but since i praised some MILs who keep busy doign their stuff and help out by sitting and steering away other wise, now my MIL learnted use of Ipad, watches tv show on it, plays fruit ninja and flow.

Still not completly by herself, she still would make my FIL sit next to her or will rush to me so kind of still wanting company but now I am kind of happy that MIL tries picking up ipad and play with it , i can brush it off after showing a couple of step and ask her to practice :clap

geez now i have a long list i want to change her for better , do not know if i will ever get to those....but this is a start:wow

10 people like this.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Great Anamika.....:yes:
    It is so simple to live and let live. If only people realize that from day one.Now get her addicted to facebook and it's various games.Six months will pass faster.:coffee

2 people like this.
  3. hawthorne

hawthorne New IL'ite

Great work ! Doing everything is always better than sharing work and listen to criticisms all the time. Getting MIL to sit in one place and not bother you while doing your work is a great feat and you have accomplished it ! Hats off to you !

1 person likes this.
  4. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Anamika,
    For now, it is fair enough that you are so sick of her constant complaining that you have taken all the work on yourself. but I feel that is also not a realistic solution. You hav proved your point to her. But if she starts coming to help you on her own, dont restrict her. Right now this is not an issue and you are feeling good about it, but long term it will become a problem for you that you have taken all the work on yourself, for eg you are busy driving your kid to activities and still have to rush home and make a full dinner etc. You will strain yourself this way. Your problem is with her constant complaining right? not with her kitchen work, so next time if she herself comes to help in kitchen, dont restrict her from doing so, only cut off her comments and complaints with 'this is how I do it'. Try to slowly transition into a mode where she doesnt comment on your work and you dont comment on hers but both of you share the kitchen duties. For example, give her the responsibility for one dish and let her do it completely on her own. At least then in the long run you will not get strained, if you are running late or busy, you can ask her and she will go into kitchen and make something and you come back and make the rest or something like that.

5. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

thanks with your feedback and i understand what you mean.
    I have been down that path for 15 yrs that I have been married for without a success and i really wanted to be off of my back.
    Anyways, i do not see situation improving with help even if she offers as she is 76 and getting feeble. I know eventually in 5 yrs i will be doing everything why not now.
    I let her manage half of the lunch since I am not home then. She likes to come to grocery shopping so i do it with her, and she helps out washing veggies and putting them away. But that is the extend of help i take. as i forsee in a couple of yrs, that is all she will be able to do .

Thanks for different viewpoint though

6. Nishstar

Nishstar New IL'ite

Wow you are very brave and spoke your mind. It is amazing how people just seem to want to push us to that level.

Also, get her on pinterest, candy crush and frozen, and you will be wondering where SHE is rather than the other way 'round!

1 person likes this.